Tyre sizes for 16” wheels on Octavia TDI (2016)

Just wondering if the 205/55/R16 are the only size for this model. 

The wheels do look a little lost in the space, when I had Saabs they were often 15 or 16” but always looked great. 
I’m hoping to keep the 16” alloys but somehow create a better appearance. 
What do I need to consider?

All contributions most welcome. 

Look inside your fuel filler cap at the pressure chart and you will see all the tyre sizes that were homologated for your vehicle.

That does not mean that they will fit your rim width/diameter or even have been homologated for your particular model but it will give you something to go on.

My winter wheel set currently on my Yeti I used on my Octavia 2 before that, I bought them from a Briskoda Yeti owner, they are 215/65R16, they filled the space better but many would not have liked the look of them preferring bigger rims and rubber band tyres to fill the arches, I could not give a four X but they do look more at home now on the high ride height "Outdoor" version of the Yeti.

• Like 1

Yes I know what you mean about

the trend for large wheels and thin tyres. Trade off of aesthetics v comfort is a constant pain!

i did have 18” black wheels on my Black Edition and was constantly kerbing them. 19” in the Superb and now I’m back to 16” but the arches are so big that they look undersized. 
i have considered lowering slightly but the torsion bar rear suspension might not like it and I don’t want to find that out after a few hundred £ or more!

ED723960-D47B-4ECE-B9CA-A561BE5AC637.jpeg

205/55R16 are one of the cheapest 16" tyres you can buy.

If you change to another size, such as as 205/60R16, 215/55R16, 215/60R16, etc. the price goes up a lot.

The 1960's Jaguar E type had wheels that fitted within the wheel arches, and that car is widely regarded as one of the best looking cars of all time.

1920px-Jaguar_E-Type_series_1_coup%C3%A9_1964.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_E-Type#/media/File:Jaguar_E-Type_series_1_coupé_1964.jpg

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BlackEdDSG said:

torsion bar rear suspension

Everything I can find says that the car has either a torsion beam or multi-link rear suspension (depending on model). Either way, it uses coil springs, not torsion bars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

205/55R16 are one of the cheapest 16" tyres you can buy.

If you change to another size, such as as 205/60R16, 215/55R16, 215/60R16, etc. the price goes up a lot.

The 1960's Jaguar E type had wheels that fitted within the wheel arches, and that car is widely regarded as one of the best looking cars of all time.

1920px-Jaguar_E-Type_series_1_coup%C3%A9_1964.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_E-Type#/media/File:Jaguar_E-Type_series_1_coupé_1964.jpg

I’m all for keeping my costs to a minimum so that’s handy to know that they’re cheaper than the alternatives. I didn’t realise that. 
That Jag though!

30 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Everything I can find says that the car has either a torsion beam or multi-link rear suspension (depending on model). Either way, it uses coil springs, not torsion bars.

That’s my bad use of terminology. Mine has the torsion beam suspension. 
I’m interested to heard from anyone who has lowered the suspension / springs etc with a torsion beam in case it turned out well (or terribly). 
thanks

9 hours ago, BlackEdDSG said:

Mine has the torsion beam suspension.

That's not uncommon. One of the main advantages of torsion beam suspension is that it holds the rear wheels in a fixed geometry relative to each other, so it's predictable unless you fit an additional rear ARB, which may cause unpredictable oversteer (see under Fabia mk1 vRS, and the inverted Briskodan club).

• Like 1