Car Scanner App (OBD2) with Enyaq

Cotswold

HI, has anyone used the Car Scanner App with their Enyaq?

It seems to be the most recommended by YouTubers reviewing EVs. Which wireless OBD2 adaptor works well with Enjaq?

A lot of charging information seems to be available which you cannot access through the Skoda screens.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/car-scanner-elm-obd2/id1259933623

Edited by Cotswold

• Cotswold changed the title to Car Scanner App (OBD2) with Enyaq

I have the OBDeleven scanner, used it on my VW Tiguan and my wife’s Skoda Fabia, i was meant to be getting my car Christmas Eve but it’s still not shown up and the dealership, it’s stuck in the port of Tyne 😞. I have added a few photos to show what it can do with the Enyaq, hopefully mine will be here in the next few days and I can tell you exactly what it can do. 

E7907C8D-448D-4BD4-8385-F57620A6596A.jpeg

0F1AC38A-6783-45CB-A9CF-0D64F2ED5BA6.jpeg

EB341518-97A3-4800-856A-D5B705A2646B.jpeg

E80F789D-4B65-4912-9D56-AB5C664E023B.jpeg

96FA4F2C-DB33-4DB0-A336-1B9B36884B07.jpeg

A968A34A-C578-4841-A755-3255C7DB75B0.jpeg

DBFD03EE-1DDC-4E03-8B72-920E98A12782.jpeg

326C7684-A3B0-4FD1-A133-B031E29C6EB1.jpeg

DBC7CD4F-4724-4D3A-9907-064023DD3D1A.jpeg

E955C129-C980-4672-BAB8-1CC7134B06F8.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chopper85 said:

I have the OBDeleven scanner, used it on my VW Tiguan and my wife’s Skoda Fabia, i was meant to be getting my car Christmas Eve but it’s still not shown up and the dealership, it’s stuck in the port of Tyne 😞. I have added a few photos to show what it can do with the Enyaq, hopefully mine will be here in the next few days and I can tell you exactly what it can do. 

E7907C8D-448D-4BD4-8385-F57620A6596A.jpeg

0F1AC38A-6783-45CB-A9CF-0D64F2ED5BA6.jpeg

EB341518-97A3-4800-856A-D5B705A2646B.jpeg

E80F789D-4B65-4912-9D56-AB5C664E023B.jpeg

96FA4F2C-DB33-4DB0-A336-1B9B36884B07.jpeg

A968A34A-C578-4841-A755-3255C7DB75B0.jpeg

DBFD03EE-1DDC-4E03-8B72-920E98A12782.jpeg

326C7684-A3B0-4FD1-A133-B031E29C6EB1.jpeg

DBC7CD4F-4724-4D3A-9907-064023DD3D1A.jpeg

E955C129-C980-4672-BAB8-1CC7134B06F8.jpeg

Thanks, which wireless OBD adaptor are you using with that? Good luck with getting your car and be interested to know if your app works well on it.

Edited by Cotswold

I also have the OBDeleven scanner app installed on my phone and tablets, but it uses its own dedicated dongle/OBD adaptor.

I also use EVnotify app to monitor charge status of my vehicle and that works in conjunction with a VEEPEAK adaptor - OBDCheck BLE+ 

This adaptor seems to work fine with the Enyaq and ID3/4 systems.

Should be fine for the Carscanner app too according to their website.

https://www.veepeak.com/product/obdcheck-ble-plus/

• Like 1

On 30/12/2021 at 18:19, Cotswold said:

HI, has anyone used the Car Scanner App with their Enyaq?

It seems to be the most recommended by YouTubers reviewing EVs. Which wireless OBD2 adaptor works well with Enjaq?

A lot of charging information seems to be available which you cannot access through the Skoda screens.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/car-scanner-elm-obd2/id1259933623

Just tried Car Scanner app with Veepeak BLE+ and it works fine.

Bought mine from Amazon.

Cant beat the OBDeleven product tho, so much better IMO

Edited by TigerTony
  • Like 1

You seem to know what's what @TigerTony, from what you've said here and "in the other place", but I'm still confused! Others who've commented too are obviously expert in this!

What is the difference between the OBDEleven product, the Veepeak BLE+, and the Ross Tech VCDS system? 

Do they all connect via Bluetooth to phones, or is the Ross Tech one just for laptops/Windows via USB, i.e. for use in the workshop?

Do you use them for different things? For example configuring advanced settings not usually available and getting diagnostics, vs getting live battery information etc to feed into ABetterRoutePlanner?

I'm completely new to this side of car connectivity! And my Enyaq was only ordered in December so I've got a long time to work out if this is a path worth going down!

2 hours ago, snalbansed said:

You seem to know what's what @TigerTony, from what you've said here and "in the other place", but I'm still confused! Others who've commented too are obviously expert in this!

What is the difference between the OBDEleven product, the Veepeak BLE+, and the Ross Tech VCDS system? 

Do they all connect via Bluetooth to phones, or is the Ross Tech one just for laptops/Windows via USB, i.e. for use in the workshop?

Do you use them for different things? For example configuring advanced settings not usually available and getting diagnostics, vs getting live battery information etc to feed into ABetterRoutePlanner?

I'm completely new to this side of car connectivity! And my Enyaq was only ordered in December so I've got a long time to work out if this is a path worth going down!

It all depends on what you want to do when you get your new car.

For simple battery monitoring whilst charging you can use the free 'EV Notify' app on your phone or tablet together with a suitable bluetooth adaptor - I use the Veepeak BLE+ ( It works fine with all my Android devices), others have used similar OBD2 bluetooth adaptors.

I'm afraid I cant comment on using ABRP yet.

For more access to the data within the vehicle there are numerous basic systems about.  Free ones like the Car Scanner app that has been mentioned earlier will connect to the Enyaq ok and allow you to monitor most aspects of vehicle and do simple diagnostics too.  Also it will allow resetting of simple faults and resetting service intervals etc.  Again you will need a bluetooth OBD adaptor ( again I can confirm the Veepeak BLE+ does work with my Android devices)

For more in depth viewing and modifications to your vehicle you will have to pay to get better software and OBD adaptors.  The OBDeleven is the popular one for VAG vehicles.  You basically buy their dedicated OBD adaptor and again you use your phone or tablet to do the viewing, all by bluetooth connection.  They offer an excellent diagnostics facility together with fault resetting and some simple improvements.

But you will need to buy a licence from them to unlock the higher level of services required for serious modifications to your vehicle - if you're brave enough !!

Excellent for home modders.  Quite a few members on here seem to own one.  Will work with both Android and IOS.

For professional use the VCDS system from Ross-Tech is the one to go for.  It uses their own OBD adaptor with their usb cable and you need a suitable laptop to download their software onto.   Its basically the same as the dealers use so will have everything available on it to do virtually anything you need, and have excellent technical backup.

Very pricey, but if you're a VAG mechanic or serious modder you need it.

I just use the OBD eleven system which I've found easy to use.  I've used it many times in the past for diagnostics and a few modifications to previous vehicles.  The app is regularly updated and also the firmware on the adaptor too.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great explanation @TigerTony

I have only used OBDeleven tool so far and it’s perfect for home diagnostics, it also has a backup function so if you do mess something up you can revert it back to its original state. 

With the OBDEeleven tool you buy the dongle and a license, then use credits for the apps (the simple on/off, as described in my previous post) you can pay for the credits in app or watch adds to earn one credit (5 ads max per day). 

Edited by chopper85
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, snalbansed said:

Is that one credit for each of the pictures in your post @chopper85?

So each “app” costs different amounts between 5 and 10 credits. Best thing I can suggest is have a look at some of the videos on YouTube. 

• Thanks 1

I've used VCDS borrowed from a friend many times. His cable is the old model and allowed unlimted VIN numbers to be used. But I think newer cables are linked to a certain number of VIN numbers so you have to pay for extra cars.

I turned on cool stuff that was not even available on my car, just because I copied the codes from other VAG cars. Hill Hold Control, folding mirrors etc.

A powerful but risky tool, as you can change some significant items.

Would be really interested if anyone manages to turn off the lane keep assist function by default. It takes at least 3 button presses to turn it off each time you start.

It works well on the motorway, but in narrow country roads, it 'bounces' tugging the wheel from one side to the other and is pretty annoying ....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cotswold said:

Would be really interested if anyone manages to turn off the lane keep assist function by default. It takes at least 3 button presses to turn it off each time you start.

It works well on the motorway, but in narrow country roads, it 'bounces' tugging the wheel from one side to the other and is pretty annoying ....

Apparently OBDeleven have a simple APP in which you can set the Lane assist to have 3 settings using the standard buttons :-

1 - Always ON after ignition (standard)

2 - Always OFF after ignition.

3 - Memory - resorts to last setting after ignition.

Must admit I havent tried it yet as I dont mind the lane assist.

• Like 1