Oil Pump failure advice for MK3

Hi all, i am looking to buy a superb Mk3 diesel 2016+ however, I had Mk2 2009 which had an oil pump failure due to hex key wear at 110k miles. It is the BMP engine with gear driven balancing module.

Apparently the oil pump was an issue on 2.0PD engines in Mk1 and 2. Sadly i discovered that way too late (while doing my research after the pump failure). 

The question is: has this problem been sorted on newer Skoda/VAG engines in Mk3 or am i going to repeat the same mistake again. Due to budget constraints, i will be probably buying a car with 100+ miles on it hence my concerns.

13 hours ago, Geoskoda said:

Hi all, i am looking to buy a superb Mk3 diesel 2016+ however, I had Mk2 2009 which had an oil pump failure due to hex key wear at 110k miles. It is the BMP engine with gear driven balancing module.

Apparently the oil pump was an issue on 2.0PD engines in Mk1 and 2. Sadly i discovered that way too late (while doing my research after the pump failure). 

The question is: has this problem been sorted on newer Skoda/VAG engines in Mk3 or am i going to repeat the same mistake again. Due to budget constraints, i will be probably buying a car with 100+ miles on it hence my concerns.

This was a known issue on the pd engines generally caused by the balance shafts and oil pump hex key rounding off, could be easily sorted before failure by replacing with the 100mm hex key.

but to answer your question on the new series of tdi engines 1.6/2.0, I don’t believe I’ve heard of one having the same kind of failure points. You’ll much more likely be looking at a water pump shroud (which acts as a thermostat) seizing before the water pump and timing belt are due.

14 hours ago, ApertureS said:

This was a known issue on the pd engines generally caused by the balance shafts and oil pump hex key rounding off, could be easily sorted before failure by replacing with the 100mm hex key.

but to answer your question on the new series of tdi engines 1.6/2.0, I don’t believe I’ve heard of one having the same kind of failure points. You’ll much more likely be looking at a water pump shroud (which acts as a thermostat) seizing before the water pump and timing belt are due.

Thanks ApertureS. Would you recommend me then avoiding the Skoda mk3 in general?

Defiantly wouldn’t say don’t get it. Every car will have it’s inherent issues no matter what. These have very few in the scheme of things 

I drive a Skoda superb and I help maintain a fleet off 100s of MQB platform cars and they are all fairly good going with very few issues between them.

18 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Defiantly wouldn’t say don’t get it. Every car will have it’s inherent issues no matter what. These have very few in the scheme of things 

I drive a Skoda superb and I help maintain a fleet off 100s of MQB platform cars and they are all fairly good going with very few issues between them.

Thanks quite encouraging. the one i have my eye on is 4x4 superb 2016. Not sure if it will be better to stick of normal front wheel drive only (one less problem to worry about in terms of breakdown etc.)?

5 hours ago, Geoskoda said:

Thanks quite encouraging. the one i have my eye on is 4x4 superb 2016. Not sure if it will be better to stick of normal front wheel drive only (one less problem to worry about in terms of breakdown etc.)?

There is a lot of information on Haldex servicing as its the been the same for the last 10 years or so - at the least make sure it has been done when it should! I think its either every 20 or 30k. This involves just an oil change in the haldex. But really you want the oil, filter and strainer done because they are prone to failure/blocking up.

Other than that, the 4x4 system is decent. 

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

There is a lot of information on Haldex servicing as its the been the same for the last 10 years or so - at the least make sure it has been done when it should! I think its either every 20 or 30k. This involves just an oil change in the haldex. But really you want the oil, filter and strainer done because they are prone to failure/blocking up.

Other than that, the 4x4 system is decent. 

It's every 3 years indeed. I know may look odd considering every owner can have very different mileage in 3 years.

I've made my own philosophy and change Haldex oil every 45000 km (~30000 miles).

Note: Superb Mk3 is fitted with Haldex Gen V, which doesn't have any filter as Gen IV used to have. Thus all dealers just make a simple oil change according to Skoda maintenance manual.

But if you go a bit further, the Haldex oil pump has a strainer which is not cleaned during the normal Haldex oil change (not even mentioned in Skoda maintenance manual) !

If you want to make things nice job, just have a look here:

Enjoy ;)  !

Mk3 is a good car. However, some face coolant pump issue on TDI and front shock absorber leaks on DCC versions.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the useful info... much appreciated.

I ll wait and see how bad the repair on my Mk2 oil pump will be then decide. any knowledge if the slave balancer will definitely suffer damage? best scenario for me will be to replace the hex key only but my mechanics is proposing to replace the whole pump which i am not too sure about. I am worried this will turn into a money draining job. Apologies i know i am drifting away from the original topic but if you have any knowledge you can share that would be fab. :)

2 hours ago, Geoskoda said:

Thanks guys for the useful info... much appreciated.

I ll wait and see how bad the repair on my Mk2 oil pump will be then decide. any knowledge if the slave balancer will definitely suffer damage? best scenario for me will be to replace the hex key only but my mechanics is proposing to replace the whole pump which i am not too sure about. I am worried this will turn into a money draining job. Apologies i know i am drifting away from the original topic but if you have any knowledge you can share that would be fab. :)

You can remove the balancer shafts and replace entire setup with the early 1.9 tdi oil pump with a separate idler pulley, there’s lots of kits available but you just have to find the right one.

The Haldex Service is not every 3 years. 

It is @ 3 years or 30,000 mile which ever comes first.

When it used to be @ 40,000 years the VW Changed to @30,000 miles and that became at 3 years and Skoda said @ 3 Years and ten @ 3 years / 30,000 miles. 

So here we are now and Skoda UK showas @ 30,000 miles / 3 years.

That does not mean a UK Skoda Main Dealership will do it correctly or even tell owners that it is due, or do it under a Service Plan.

An Approved Used Skoda with FMDSH at 3 years or older and a Skoda Warranty might not even have had it carried out.

Same as the Brake Fluid might not be changed. 

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp

Edited by roottoot