Just bought a Fabia vrS

Hi, new to this forum so go easy on me! After reading a lot about how good Fabia vrS was, I used my redundancy money and bought an 05 one this week. Totallly different to my last car, a diesel Saxo!

Mightily impressed with the car, the performance is great. I finally decided on a red one as I feel that when polished, which mine will usually be, it looks the best. I feel black shows up swirls and marks a lot more, although I did like the silver one. However the one I was offered had been owned by a smoker and that put me off straight away.

Anyway back to the car, and some general questions.

- The radio has the feature that "records" traffic info but although I have followed the instructions, when I press the button it tells me it has no messages?

- The big gap below the radio is a useful cubby hole but what do others use this for? Are there aftermarket accessories for it?

- When I filled it up with diesel the pump seemed to keep cutting out as I was filling it and the neck of the tank seemed to have some movement in it. Are either of these characteristics normal?

- My car has Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres on it which seem to let in a lot of road noise into the cabin. Are these the type of tyres that would have came on the car from the factory? The car has done 18,000 miles so it will be on at least its second set of tyres so could well be totally different to the originals? Do others have these tyres. How do you rate them?

Thats all my questions for just now - I have only had the car for 2 days, but will now be an avid viewer of this site and no doubt asking more questions!

Very impressed so far and would thoroughly recommend St Andrews Garage in Glasgow for great customer service and preparation of their used cars.

I cant wait to get one, though that does worry me somewhat, getting excited about the prospect of buying a Diesel Supermini made by Skoda !

Suppose it is a symptom of how much Skoda have improved and how sad I am getting these days, the government drives you to it !

1) when filling, pull the nozzle out a bit, and tilt to the rear of the car... will fill without cutting then!

2) goodyear F1's are great tyres... (there is alot of debate on tyres on here tho!) I use 'em and they perform well.....

3) don't know about the "record" function! , but the space underneath can house whatever you like! :) put some sat nav in it ;) I have sunglasses, and some strange stuff that would only make sense to me ;)

edit: glad to see skoda are keeping up their reputation for good customer service!

glad you like them, i have an reg red vrs too. i dont know about the stereo as i have an aftermarket one installed, but i know that you can buy a slinding draw like thing for the cubby hole instead if you wish. dont keep loose cds in there as they tend to fly out if you accelerate to hard, i keep my mp3 player in the as its heavy enough to stay put and thats it really, occasionally the odd piece of paper makes its way in there.

from what i have read the pump things is normal i think so dont quote me but if you pull mine out and push it back in again it seems to rid the problem.

pretty sure mine never came with goodyears as it is 3 years old.

check out here for any tips from the guys and girls here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/guides-tips/tips-fabia-tips/50004/?highlight=fabia+tips

Hi and welcome!

There is an aftermarket drawer available to fill the cubby hole (my Elegance has one as standard ;) ) and I believe you can also get a drinks holder that will fit into the panel that runs down the side of the stereo and cubby hole (which I really want for summer!) and possibly a mobile phone holder.

A couple of searches on the threads should point you in the right direction.

I've owned red cars before and with a bit of spit and polish, they really do look the dogs danglies! :D

Welcome Bobbyg,

Great decision on buying vRS, Ive got a red one too.

Must agree with customer care in St Andrews, any time ive had dealings with them been spot on.

I think you may have consesecutive number to my red vRS as i seen it was up for sale in St Andrews.

Where are you from?

The record function can be set to record the last 2 hrs of traffic reports or 24 hrs of traffic reports.

You MUST make sure that after you have turned the radio off, it was set to a station (in the South for instance Wave 105) which broadcasts REGULAR traffic reports, otherwise it will be useless.

This is a most useful function, and a hell of a lot more use than an MP3 player, for instancem IMHO.

Dave, I am from the Motherwell area. Dealt with salesman David Stewart and was very impressed with the service I received.

Organist, thanks for that, I will try leaving it on a different station and see what happens although I thought that as long as it was left on a "TP" station then that would be fine?

- When I filled it up with diesel the pump seemed to keep cutting out as I was filling it and the neck of the tank seemed to have some movement in it. Are either of these characteristics normal?

There was a big discussion about this a while back (but I forget the outcome :o ). Basically quite a few people had this problem and it was something to do with the angle of the filler neck which was causing the pump to shut off? A search should turn up the thread :D

Chris

Yip i dealt with David when I bought my car also. Im from East Kilbride, give me flash if you see me, I work in Blantyre aswell. my reg end YLR

Dave if you are YLR then I am just before you!! I will look out for you!

Congrats mate, a good choice on a car and nice colour too.

Come to think of it i saw a red vRS today, was it you?

There arnt that many in the area so can spot them pretty quick.

Coming up Airbles road from Strathy Park end?

Looked nice anyway :thumbup:

Sorry Mate, wife had it today. She came back from Hamilton but came up the Hamilton Road into Motherwell, not the Airbles road!

Maybe her? The road that goes past Parks Renault? I will tell her to give you a wave next time!

Organist' date=' thanks for that, I will try leaving it on a different station and see what happens although I thought that as long as it was left on a "TP" station then that would be fine?[/quote']

It seems that you have to leave it on the right station, as I have found that if you don't, you don't seem to get any recorded info at all!

Sorry Mate' date=' wife had it today. She came back from Hamilton but came up the Hamilton Road into Motherwell, not the Airbles road!

Maybe her? The road that goes past Parks Renault? I will tell her to give you a wave next time![/quote']

Ahh right, maybe it was someone else then.

I just read your post about Red vRS in the area and i saw one that day aswell.

What radio station did you leave it on when trying to record the reports?

Real Radio, thought so.

I had problems in my Astra with the RDS and the clock when ever i had it on Real Radio. The cars clock is updated automatically by the radio but was always behind whenever the radio was set to Real. I dont know why it doesnt send out the signal.

I dont listen to the radio much anyway, and just leave it on Radio 1 which works perfect.

But for the local travel reports Clyde 1 will probably be the best for you.

Dave' date=' I am from the Motherwell area. Dealt with salesman David Stewart and was very impressed with the service I received.

[/quote']

bobby g i looked at that very car in february, in fact went to see the black one but it hadnt been prepared. deffo the same car, cos it had 4x eagle f1 gsd2's which made me contemplate the red one purely to save on rubber change £££. it an 54/05 plate iirc?

dealt with your same man David who as far as im concerned treated me with the same contempt as dog **** on his shoe. told him i had 11k to burn, car was 10,995 but he didnt take me seriously cos i said i was a student. all he was interested was hp prices and offered me 5 mins to have a look round your car. no test drive, then a silly trade in. had the cheek to call me 3 days later to see if i had thought any more.

enlightened him to the fact that Jim Clark at Ingram Ayr (thoroughly top bloke, do a search on here) had sold me a black 05 plate 3 hours later. not impressed in the least.

but hey enoy your car, thanks to dave i never got to rag the tits off your car!!

will never go back to st andrews...

just my tuppence worth...

Niall

Niall, totally different to my experience!

I phoned him and told him no trade in, it was advertised at 10995 on the forecourt but 10495 on the web, discounted it down to 9995 staright away. Went in, got a full hours test drive away along the M8 and down the M77 and through Glasgow etc.

He did not even mention finance to me.

Everything I asked for in the way of car preparation, right down to taking all the alloys off and polishing them inside and out, he did. I called in two days before I was due to pick car up to hand in my cover note and there was the car up on the ramps and all the alloys sitting on the deck with a thick layer of polish on them...

Oh and he gave me 12 months tax and a tank of fuel thrown in.

Had one expereience of Ingram Ayr, they had a red one on web, drove down there fighting through the rush hour traffic to find that they had sold it a week earlier and not bothered to update their website! A week later it was still on the web!

good discount there chief! but spose he wanted shot cos it was there for a few months, the vrs's usually walk out the door, must have been the miles vs price tha put peeps off. i didnt mind the 18k, meant it was good for a remap striaght away.

aye its all abut the phoning ahead, prior preparation an all that, but you seem to have a good deal so cant complain. ill still not darken their door...