vrs new discs and pads at 40k?

Hi,

My 53reg fabia vrs is in for a 40k service and I asked them to check the brakes as I didn't think they were upto much. They've come back and said I need new discs and pads all round cost

40k sounds ok for a set of fronts yes.

Get good OE pads and Discs and get a VAT registered garage to fit it and you will be talking under £260 fitted. (Warrenty should be unaffected as long as parts meets regulation 90?? & garage is VAT registered.)

Also nows the ideal time for a 312 upgrade, no?;)

Also nows the ideal time for a 312 upgrade' date=' no?;)[/quote']

:) I know, I was thinking that myself..... but 312's would cost 255 for the fronts and I'd have to pay someone to fit them too as I don't trust myself ;)

I'm due for a 40K service. Rear pads are looking low so expecting to be replaced. Also expecting to need new front and rear discs.

ok definately feel better now as I was worried I was getting conned. I've never done this many miles in a car before so didn't know what to expect plus my other cars were considerably less powerful and a lot lighter - all adds up to being harder on the componants I suppose....

:) I know, I was thinking that myself..... but 312's would cost 255 for the fronts and I'd have to pay someone to fit them too as I don't trust myself ;)

I would invest in the 312's on the front and see if any friendly briskodians will fit them for you.

I'd happily help with the rears if your down my way, having just done mine last week and basking in that post DIY glow :D

Surely you could just get the appropriate OE parts for the car that comes with them as standard and get an independant VAT registered garage to fit them.

Was quoted £100 labour for all 4 discs and pads on my Octy. Parts quote was about £160 inc VAT

my front and rear pads were replaced at 33k, but the discs all round were fine... JBS seemed sure that fabia vRS discs can handle two sets of pads before they need replacing..... (I've heard some other techies agreeing with this too..)

how can you ware discs?? do they warp or something? my cars done 51k and its on the same pads and discs as new? :confused: im confused

The way the car stops is the pads generate friction against the disc. Both of them wear out as a result. 51k is pretty impressive for a set of pads, but it will depend on how you use the brakes :D

Chris

I would invest in the 312's on the front and see if any friendly briskodians will fit them for you.

I'd happily help with the rears if your down my way' date=' having just done mine last week and basking in that post DIY glow :D[/quote']

thanks Jonny nice offer. The garage has ordered the discs and pads now so I'm going to let them do it this time - may upgrade to 312's when I've had a bit of life out of these..

Apparantly the discs had corroded - made me wonder if the turtle wax alloy wheel cleaner I used may have had an effect?

Surely you could just get the appropriate OE parts for the car that comes with them as standard and get an independant VAT registered garage to fit them.

You're right it would probably work out cheaper but the skoda garage is handy and also I have some warranty jobs as well which they're going to do at the same time - rear door leaks and flakey bumper paint....

• 2 weeks later...
Apparantly the discs had corroded - made me wonder if the turtle wax alloy wheel cleaner I used may have had an effect?

You're right it would probably work out cheaper but the skoda garage is handy and also I have some warranty jobs as well which they're going to do at the same time - rear door leaks and flakey bumper paint....

Count yourself lucky mate, I've just put my 54 plate vRS in for it's 20K service and I've been told I need new rear discs and pads due to corrosion. Car is only 21 months old, not too pleased. Apparently my dealer says they have talked to Skoda about this as they have had it happen on quite a few cars but Skoda refuse to do the work under warranty as its "wear and tear".

The final kick in the nuts was the fact that both my rear tyres have a nail in them and although I'm not loosing any pressure they are both close the sidewall so both need replacing. Unsure of what tyres to put on the back I recently put Goodyear Eagle F1 on the front and they are bloody noisey. Need to put the radio up a few notches over the Conti's that where on the front before.

Also have the flakey paint on the front bumper problem but that is being done under warranty.

Count yourself lucky mate' date=' I've just put my 54 plate vRS in for it's 20K service and I've been told I need new rear discs and pads due to corrosion. Car is only 21 months old, not too pleased. Apparently my dealer says they have talked to Skoda about this as they have had it happen on quite a few cars but Skoda refuse to do the work under warranty as its "wear and tear".

[/quote']

20k is bad :thumbdwn: - I was kinda dissappointed with 40k but to be honest the brakes have felt pretty bad for a long time. The pads are absolutely fine and have a fair bit left on (1st set too) so I reckon there may be some sort of problem as the discs shouldn't have gone. Either way at 40k and 2.5 years I couldn't expect them to do it on warranty but I still don't think its that good.

Its going in tomorrow for the discs and pads and the week after for the flakey paint - I'm pleased they agreed to do the paint on warranty though as I thought that may have been difficult to prove - looks like they know theres a problem with that one...

If they have corroded you are not braking hard enough!

:-)

Good point, maybe I should remove my bunnet before getting in the car. :) Actually I was wondering if it could have been caused by using WonderWheels to clean my alloys but the front ones are fine.

If I wash my car at around 7pm in the evening and don't use it till the next morning the rear brakes would be siezed on. From now on, if I wash the car in the evening I'll make sure I got for a drive aftwards to see if this helps.

Got quoted £204 to replace the rear discs and pads. :eek: Think I'll be doing that myself.

Actually I was wondering if it could have been caused by using WonderWheels to clean my alloys.

made me wonder about the turtle wax cleaner too - same problem with brakes stuck on afterwards too, though I didn't use it that often....

I do the same, usually have to give the brakes a good go on most mornings just to get some braking power back - you can hear the scraping noise as the crud/rust comes off.

Thing is I've been told its normal and caused by rain but my wifes fiesta has never had this problem in the same conditions. Anyway guess I'll seee soon if the new brakes do it too.

My 54 plate Fabia VRS has now done 29k and I can’t see much in the way of front pads left at all. How long to they typically last for – I’m expected to have to get new ones at the 30k service, does that sound right? I would expect more from the discs though.

I also have a bit of flaky paint on the front bumper - good to hear Skoda are happy to sort that under warranty.