Michelin pilot sport 4 s

TQVRS

Hi all I’m in the market for some new tyres soon, anyone got any advice on pilot sport 4 S,  or should I just go for the sport 4? Just thinking about temperatures in Devon I’ve read about some tyres not liking low temperatures any help would be grateful 

cheers 

2 hours ago, TQVRS said:

Hi all I’m in the market for some new tyres soon, anyone got any advice on pilot sport 4 S,  or should I just go for the sport 4? Just thinking about temperatures in Devon I’ve read about some tyres not liking low temperatures any help would be grateful 

cheers 

PS4 and PS4S are old models.

Michelin Pilot Sport 5 225/40R18 92Y XL

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-sport-5/225/40/R18/Y/92/m?tyre=42847929

Summer tyres lose grip rapidly below about 7 degrees Centigrade.

tyrereviews did a test with the Continental PremiumContact 6 in the wet at about 2 to 3 degrees Centigrade. What was a high performance summer tyre turned into a low performance winter tyre at these low temperatures. With good all-season tyres you have a lot more grip in cold conditions compared to summer tyres.

Edited by Carlston

5 hours ago, TQVRS said:

Would would you suggest as a good all round but sporty tyre please 

Take a look at the 2021 winter tyre test on tyrereviews.com. The test was done using size 225/40R18 which will be the size you have if you are running on 18s.

Many people who drive on UHP summer tyres in the summer change to something with much better grip in the winter, ie. winter or all-season tyres.

By using UHP summer tyres all year round, you will gain a little extra grip in the summer but loose far more grip in the winter. In many European countries that have lots of snow and ice, it's illegal not have winter rated tyres...such is the difference between summer and winter tyres.

There is an option to use good all-season tyres all year round, but even those can't beat the laws of physics...hence all tyres are a compromise.

September 27th, 2021

2021 Tyre Reviews Winter Tyre Test

In this tyre test we take nine of the best performance winter tyres in the popular 225/40 R18 size and test them in the dry, wet and of course snow to see what the best winter tyre is for the 2021/22 autumn and winter.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/

Dunlop Sport All Season 225/45R17 94W XL

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Dunlop/Sport-All-Season/225-45-R17-94W-XL/R-435501

Good makes of all-season tyres include in alphabetical order: BF Goodrich, Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, Hankook, Kleber, Michelin, Nokian, Pirelli, Vredestein. Read the reviews to find out the latest and best performing models. The BF Goodrich, Kleber, and Nokian are winter focused all-season tyres so not that good in the summer, but very good in the snow.

Edited by Carlston

I wouldn't worry too much about temperature in Devon, it doesn't that cold compared to the Peak District where I ran seversal sets of Pilot Sport 4 on a RWD car all year - yes they drop off a bit when the gritters come out but I only had serious concerns in snow and that will upset any summer tyre. I've ran other UHP summer tyres (e.g. Eagle F1 Assy 5) all year and the only model I've noticed a really rapid drop off with declining temperatures is my current Falken FK512 that seem very unhappy at anything below 10'c.

The PS5 has just arrived on UK shores so there's not much feedback on it yet. The PS4S is what they fit to quite a few supercars out the factory so may not be worth the extra cash unless you've got 300 bhp going to the rear tyres...

If you are worried about performance in rare light snowfall and if/when temperatures hover around zero, a recent innovation is summer-biased/UHP all-season tyres; Michelin's Pilot Sport All Season 4 comes to mind and pricing is similar to the summer PS4, if you want better snow performance then there's the 3 Peaks Mountain rated M+S Michelin Cross Climate 2. These two models seem to demand the smallest compromise in summer and wet weather performance in exchange for better grip when its colder and could comfortably be run all year in most of the UK.

You want to avoid Nordic/Alpine tyres such as Nokian, they are very ice and snow focused and will not work well in Devon's mild climate. To be honest I think any true winter tyre (so not even Nordic) is overkill in Devon, you'd be best running an all-season even just for winter (as would most of England and Wales imo, given their daily mean in Jan/Feb is still above 3'c).

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

Truth of the matter is that any sporty driving done in a Skoda Octavia / Warm Hatch is on 60 mph NSL UK roads. 

So maybe in Devon or maybe where ever the car gets taken.   All Seasons come in all flavours will not fall apart or be ditch finders even in the best of a South of England summer.

Horses for courses and tyres appropriate to the usage.  

Edited by roottoot

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

... so long as OP doesn't live on or near Dartmoor or Exmoor.

I thought most people who lived on Dartmoor were at Her Majesty's Pleasure and thus have no access to a car 🤣

2 hours ago, ckyliu said:

I thought most people who lived on Dartmoor were at Her Majesty's Pleasure and thus have no access to a car 🤣

Dartmoor Prison was going to be closed  next year so they been moving inmates to other establishments, so there are now more farmers etc. living on Dartmoor (mostly paying rent to the Duchy of Cornwall) now than those in the prison.