Climate Control Issues below 2c

I have a 2014 170BHP Diesel L&K estate. Both of the last two winters when the outside temperature drops i have an apparent issue with my climate control. I can be 15 miles into a journey, everything working fine, then the outside temperature drops below 2c and the car starts steaming up on the inside, Fan on demist and heated screen on and it struggles to clear the mist from the windscreen and doesn't do the side windows, carry on outside temperature rises and the climate control appears to be working perfectly again.

I have had the Air-Con re gassed, there is a new battery in the car, i have checked the pollen filter and that is dry and clean. There is no sign of water ingress carpets are all dry.

Has anyone else had a similar issue or does any one know what the cause of this may be?

Thanks in advance for your help.

28 minutes ago, justrunin said:

outside temperature drops below 2c, the air conditioner stops dehumidifying because it's shut off, and the car starts steaming up on the inside

Missing step in sequence added, underscored.

I find that recirc is necessary for the most efficient removal of steamed up windows.

Its usually caused by wet clothing etc, rather then the evaporator dehumidifying the damp outside air it is more effective at removing the humidity from the inside.

If you constantly use aircon, there will often be a lot of condensate (water) sloshing around in the evaporator housing, it may not have drained if its freezing outside and the drain pipes are frozen.

Only solution is to turn fan to max, heater up and wait for it to dry out, usually a few minutes is sufficient. Do not use recirculation as you need the damp air to exit the vehicle, maybe even crack open the windows a bit to help draw it out quicker.

Edited by xman

Thanks for all your responses... I'm sure this never happened when I first got the car, and never had issue with previous cars fitted with climate control so worried something more is amiss! I will see how I get on!

On 27/01/2022 at 12:26, xman said:

If you constantly use aircon, there will often be a lot of condensate (water) sloshing around in the evaporator housing, it may not have drained if its freezing outside and the drain pipes are frozen.

Only solution is to turn fan to max, heater up and wait for it to dry out, usually a few minutes is sufficient. Do not use recirculation as you need the damp air to exit the vehicle, maybe even crack open the windows a bit to help draw it out quicker.

Does anyone know where the condensate unit drain exits the vehicle so I can check  if this is blocked?