Esim Plan

Hi

I have a year old car with the built in Esim. 

All the infotainment services and the phone app have stopped working as they were only for the year and I have not renewed them, but what about the Esim.

I believe I was told when I picked up the car that the Esim was for either 4 or 7 years, can't remember how long, but wonder if it has stopped working as the internet radio will not work nor the Traffication app that did work but has stopped even though it expires end of Febuary

Does anyone know if after a year you have to buy a data plan to keep the car online, I have tried to connect the car to my phone to use my phone data but cannot get that to work.

I have been led to believe that it's only 'free' (or let's say 'included') for the first year. After that, £90 for 25GB - no idea if that lasts a certain amount of time or anything, but it's a bit of a joke and you can't select any other provider...

Yea I saw that, £90 a year for 25gb, not sure if that is total usage for the year and not sure it is worth it. 
Looks like I need to talk to the dealer to find out why I can’t connect my phone to use my phone data. 

Although... this discussion suggests that if you only use it for Skoda Connect services, it's 'included' in the annual costs for that. The £90/25GB thing is if you want to use the car as a hotspot or whatever (i.e. data outside of the Skoda Connect services):

I'd hope that at least some Skoda Connectivity capability would be maintained regardless of subscription as it seems things like maps will only update over the air (in the UK at least).  It's a real shame we can't use out own data SIMs anymore, but that's progress I guess.  If it were a choice between being isolated completely and ponying up the £90 a year... well... 

Billywizzo  Do you have Breakdown and SOS in your car?  I was told by Skoda customer service that the Esim continues to function so as to provide cover in case of Breakdown or accident, even if you've decided not to pay the annual subscription.  I can't see that Skoda can put a term on the sim - it must operate for the life of the vehicle if the service is fitted to the vehicle.  I'm presuming that the Esim also looks after updates for the Satnav but I might be wrong, perhaps someone can enlighten us.

1 hour ago, Stratton said:

Billywizzo  Do you have Breakdown and SOS in your car?  I was told by Skoda customer service that the Esim continues to function so as to provide cover in case of Breakdown or accident, even if you've decided not to pay the annual subscription.  I can't see that Skoda can put a term on the sim - it must operate for the life of the vehicle if the service is fitted to the vehicle.  I'm presuming that the Esim also looks after updates for the Satnav but I might be wrong, perhaps someone can enlighten us.

You need to understand the different components of Skoda Connect... I suggest taking a look here:

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/skoda-connect

The bit that is free for the lifetime of the vehicle is only the Emergency Call / eCall functionality. On MIB2 Kodiaqs, this used a built-in eSIM that was dedicated to the functionality.

Everything else requires annual subscriptions (one for infotainment online, one for care connect). On MIB2 Kodiaqs, this functionality required you to use your own SIM or data via your phone. On MIB3, it uses the same eSIM as the Emergency Call / eCall functionality.

So the eSIM remains active - it doesn't die. It's just what can use it depends on what subscriptions you pay for after the first year.

Cheers for the info and replies.

I won't be paying for any plan, not worth it for me.

I have mamaged to get my pone to connect, no idea how as I didn't change anything just tried over the weedend and it connected, so can use my phone data now if needed.

Glad it all worked for the hotspot eventually. Mine does. Yogi Bear is spot on with his reply. The esim is there it’s just what you pay for apart from the care connect services. You can check when any licences you have will expire in the Shop on MIB3 units and in the Connect app on MiB2.

To clarify other points, in MIB3 the sim will download the map as long as you pay for the service. It’s not part of the lifetime care connect.

also, you can now upload maps in MIB3 using the USB C slots in the console. The update portal has a guide for MIB3 users, including UK. Once you have a new map you do not have to use esim. Indeed, you can use an sd card as well by plugging in an address card reader with usb c lead (available on Amazon) for about £10) All my SD cards with music from my MIB 2 unit happily play through the MIB3 unit this way rather than use USB sticks

I threw the App away after 12 months.  I’ve never lost my car and know whether it is locked or not.

I’m still surprised by the little global logo in the top centre of the central screen flicking from red to grey at random.  I take it to mean there’s a SIM occasionally talking to someone. Possibly built in or possible the 99p one I stuck in slot on day 1.

I’m happy that I can play music from my phone via Bluetooth.  Plus infrequent use of BT phone connection.

It will be interesting to see if the dealer mentions anything about SIM, updates or Apps when it goes for first service next Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using my own 4G battery router connected in the car all the time, which act as a hotspot. This is much cheaper than using the cubic telecom data plans.