Auto start system

Hi all, 

I've just bought a 65 Plate Skoda Fabia SEL DSG automatic estate which I'm very pleased with. The question is the auto start doesn't seem to work all the time but all of a sudden when you don't expect it. There are no warning notices to say that it is not working. Any ideas on this problem or is it normal? 

Thanks in advance for any Info

K

This could be due to the battery health, if it has still got its original EFB battery, then it will probably not now be in "tip top" condition, other reasons include normal length of journeys and frequency of use.

Edit:- I'm guessing what you really mean is that the car does not "auto stop" most of the time.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 2

I'm guessing you're referring to stop/start. As rum4mo suggests, the most likely cause is battery charge. It may indicate an ageing battery, but most likely it's the combination of short journeys, cold weather and VAG's EU enforced ghastly charging system that limits battery charge to around 80% capacity and only charges on overrun. 

I got so fed up with it (and occasional dashboard warnings) , I simply disconnected the BCM (battery control module) sensor connector from the negative battery terminal so that the alternator acts as it should rather than to the EU's stupid dictate. 

• Like 4

Many thanks for the very informative info, that  takes a load off my mind. I've not had one of these cars before and so I'm on a big learning curve. There will probably be more questions asked.

Many thanks once again

K

On 08/02/2022 at 15:02, Kobycat said:

There are no warning notices to say that it is not working.

If the SEL display is anything like the SE, there is most of a circle with an arrow head on the end, and A in the middle in the right-hand side of the main display.

when there is a diagonal line through the A, the engine will not automatically stop/start.

there is a button (in the centre crop of buttons) with the same graphic on it (with OFF below),

press it after each start of the engine if you don't want stop/start to happen on that drive.

Comments above about the state of the battery are spot on, however,

even with a new battery the car still needs to be driven a bit on a regular basis for stop start to work

Edited by johnh510
it isn't a full circle at all... later edit to add "OFF" having just looked at the button..
  • Like 1

If you ever decide to change your battery then Tayna do good AGM replacements. AGM is better than EFB and don't cost that much more. You would need to code your new battery to the car but I can help you with that as I have VCDS. I see you state Enfield as your address, well I'm only in Newbury Park, Ilford so not far away.

• Like 1

I think that in general, we, or I have been very kind to the 640A CCA EFB battery in my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI, especially during lock down periods, by connecting a smart charger to it. I've also treated it to a "reconditioning" charging profile once a year for the past 3 years, that has dragged back up the CCA value that I get when I test it, currently it is returning a value of 475A CCA and "replace battery" - but it will enable auto Stop/Start quite early on in a journey if I let it. I'm hoping that this year's Spring "recondition" charging period will bring that value back up a bit - although I have already bought a new AGM battery.

• Like 1

Kobycat, the state of the battery charge is very important to these cars as the VW computer programs are over-complicated and over intrusive and very interconnected.  So if the battery charge gets low, even if you can still start the car and even if the lights seem bright enough the charge might still be too low for the computers and their programs can/will throw up all sorts of unexpected warnings and issues.

As already pointed out there are methods to keep this from becoming a problem and if you read your Driver's Handbook it will tell you when the start/stop does not operate.  If you do not have the paper printed copy you can download a PDF copy from here. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

Other useful hyperlinks - 

update portal - https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

recall actions - https://www.skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

• 4 weeks later...

Turn the dam autostart off, it just wears out the expensive battery too quickly. It may seem a "nice to have" but you did OK before you had one didn't you? i alway switch mine off before pulling away.