Scout Burglar Alarm

Hi, I am new here but not new to forums.

I have a question regarding how to unplug the alarm.

I go overseas quite a lot for around 3 months at a time and disconnect the battery for that time.

The other car I have I removed the alarm completely as it was a fire hazard as well.

How do I disconnect the alarm on the 2012 Scout? and where is it located?

I assume that the alarm will go off when I disconnect! (if the batteries are ok)

TIA 👍

5 hours ago, Scottiescout said:

How do I disconnect the alarm on the 2012 Scout? and where is it located?

I assume that the alarm will go off when I disconnect! (if the batteries are ok)

It's a straightforward but messy job, and - as a suggestion - it might be worth fitting a disable switch after you get to it (perhaps loop through the bulkhead to a switch inside the cabin).

Here are a series of links, but I feel the easiest way to grasp the problem would be to read the attached pdf of the Russion Skoda Club blog entry (regerenced in one of the links below also).  I had to negotiate with Google Translate [tm] a bit but I got there in the end :)

1.  Parts diagram and catalogue for the alarm is HERE.

2. Long Briskoda thread discussing alarm replacement is HERE.

3. Workshop Manuals page for alarm is HERE.

4. Another Workshop Manuals information page is HERE.

5. Don't know if this will work but a link to a translation of the Russian Skoda Blog is HERE.

Have fun!

Repair _ replacement of the standard alarm siren on a SKODA Octavia A5 FL car Repair Skoda-Ural.ru Blog.pdf

17 hours ago, MikeTheThinker said:

- it might be worth fitting a disable switch after you get to it (perhaps loop through the bulkhead to a switch inside the cabin).

Not sure this would work. If the supply to the alarm is removed then it will run on it's internal battery. If the battery voltage gets too low the alarm intermittently chirps as a warning. 

How long it takes will depend on how old the battery is and it's condition.

Same applies to disconnecting the main battery.

Thanks everybody for their input.

As I leave the car in a secure area when I leave, I do not want to annoy the neighbours when the damn thing goes off.

I will not be reconnecting the alarm, only reconnecting the main battery via a quick release on one of the terminals when I return.

Can I just leave the alarm unplugged or will that cause problems when I reconnect?

👍👍

On 11/02/2022 at 11:04, Scottiescout said:

Can I just leave the alarm unplugged or will that cause problems when I reconnect?

A scan will show an error for the alarm but the car will run fine without it.  BTW if you have it set up to beep the alarm horn on lock etc. it won't :)

• Like 1

The alarm will not go off when you disconnect the vehicle battery unless you have locked the vehicle, to do which you have to fool it that the bonnet was closed, I can't recall exactly how but by trial and error I was able to disconnect the battery without setting off the alarm and then lock the vehicle when I left it unattended for a couple of months. Probably just by manually locking the door but IIRC it wasn't as simple as I expected but I found a way.

The internal alarm battery is only to power the siren for a timed period if the power is removed while the car is locked and alarmed, if you disconnect the main battery as above it will not discharge or damage the alarm battery, there is no need to disconnect it.

Ok! I am back here now after being away for a few days.

J.R. do you remember what you did to silence the alarm?

I think I will have to take the car to a remote area (there are lots up here!) and try a bit of trial and error tests.

TIA 👍

Sorry but I cannot remember, however if you use the procedure shown in the video on another thread (manually locking the doors via grommet hole using the key blank) then the alarm will not be triggered so my comment is now a red herring.

• 2 months later...
On 20/02/2022 at 17:17, Scottiescout said:

Ok! I am back here now after being away for a few days.

J.R. do you remember what you did to silence the alarm?

I think I will have to take the car to a remote area (there are lots up here!) and try a bit of trial and error tests.

TIA 👍

Hello, I also have alarm/flat battery issues. Is the car starting & driving ok without the alarm connected? Do you have to lock the car manually?

On 20/02/2022 at 17:17, Scottiescout said:

Ash! I am in Mallorca for another month at the moment. I have disconnected the battery. If left connected it flattens the battery. I guess that is your problem as well. I had to lock the doors using a screwdriver then lock drivers door with the key AFTER the battery is disconnected. I have fitted one of those quick release gadgets. Hopefully the car will start when I get back next month.

Thanks for the reply. Yes my battery will go flat after 2 days of parking. Going to disconnect the alarm today & see if it's still driveable. I have 12v solar panel that is always plugged in when parked but it's not enough. 

Regards

Hello Scottie, i just removed my alarm box in the driver side front wheel arch. Start to finish just over a hour. The car runs fine. Only difference i can see is the red led in the driver's door used to flash but is now a constant when the car is locked with the fob. Just have to see if i get that bong noise in the morning to indicate low battery 🤞

Thanks for quick reply Ash! Did you just pull the plug on the alarm? The only problem I can see is the alarm system is still activated! so that may still flatten your battery!! Let me know. Cheers! Where are you Ash? ASHford? Lived in Hastings for a long time!! 👍

Hello Scottie, yep just pulled the plug & removed the unit. I've found new units from the skodashop for £169 but won't get one yet. 

I live near Portsmouth so not that far from Hastings. 

£169? sounds a bit expensive to me. Where I live in Scotland I do not need an alarm! LOL

My problem is getting back to the UK and the battery is flat. BUT I leave it in a secure car park with CCTV. Nowhere near my house so my problem is a bit different to yours.

I know your area well as I was involved with the Falklands war and stayed in Turks Town! (Gosport)

Cheers!

Hello, if you've disconnected your battery I'm sure you'll be fine. 

Turk town lol. I live not far from there. 

Were you in the senior service? If so thank you. I was 13 when the Argies kicked off. Know a fair few families affected by it. 

Hi Ash!

No, I was not in the senior service but we were involved with the helicopters based in Gosport tackling the french exocets being used by the Argies against our ships.

Very interesting time!

Staying in the Park Hotel Gosport for around 6 months! and seconded to a well known electronics company in Gosport.

Also at more or less the same time we were involved with the raising of the "Mary Rose". I am sure you remember that!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scottie, removed my alarm & I still have the flat battery issue so think it's the car battery that's gone. 

BUT

Without the alarm fitted the car still does operates fine. 

• Like 1

Hi Ash,

Understood but the alarm system will still be activated, so that will still run down your battery.

How long do you leave the car unattended? and is the small indicator at the top of the battery showing green?

As stated, mine has been in a secure car park for 1.5 months now and I have disconnected the battery using a quick release device. Back to Scotland on the 24th May.

Cheers

Hello Scottie, 

The indicator on my battery is black. 

I don't know how the alarm can be activated when the alarm module is in my garage? The fault codes all show alarm not connected. Central locking is nothing to do with the alarm as it still works. 

Regards 

Andy

Hi Andy,

First off, the indicator shows black means it needs recharging. You will need to charge it properly with a battery charger (not fast charge) running around will not recharge the battery properly unless you drive a few (a lot) of miles.

Second, Just because you have disconnected the alarm that does not mean the alarm system is not working.

Anyhoo, try charging the battery and remember to disconnect one terminal first!

Regards,

Andy