Alarm unit replacement

Hi all

My alarm has gone off by itself a few times during the past couple of days. Don't seem to be any doors left open or anything, and my car is 2011, so I'm guessing the battery on the alarm unit is failing. Can just the battery be replaced, or is it the whole unit? I fear it's the latter. Can anyone point me to a good source for a new alarm unit? I imagine a dealer would want my first born child...

Also, is there a guide to replacing the unit anywhere? Had a look but couldn't see one.

Finally, if I need to pull a fuse to stop the alarm going off, does anyone know which one it is? Will have a look in my manual, but car doesn't seem to match manual all the time!

Thanks.

• Like 1

I think Skoda recommend replacement every 5-6 years   they would--several years back  they were approx£160 (not fitted)   (+VAT?)    whilst not designed to repair it may well be worth a try  do a search for replacement batteries   they are an odd size and from memory ni-cad   mine is now 9 years and counting but tempting fate   I had thought of just making up a powerpack of the correct voltage (forgotten)  and plumbing it in    p.s.  isn't  the fuse aid memoir     mirror image?

Because the battery fails at five to ten years, a said above, Skoda recommend changing the alarm at six years of age.

It is a popular topic on here and the cheapest solution is to buy a new alarm unit from China via Aliexpress. Some people have taken the old unit apart and replaced the pc board mounted battery.

The alarm unit is mounted on the driver's behind the front wheel liner and on the lower bulkhead. As you may imagine, it deliberately arranged to be difficult to remove but past posters have included photos and show how it can be changed easily by removing one screw and bending a metal cover. Easy to change once you have seen how.

Make a search on this forum. If not successful, try again using google with Briskoda as part of your search term.

The alarm unit is common across a wide range of VAG makes and model and usually quoted by suppliers as a VW part. 

• Like 1

Thanks all

I did look on here but couldn't find anything detailed, just references to the replacement. Will have a try on Google.

As it happens, it hasn't done it again since that day (as far as I know!) so maybe it'll be OK for a bit longer. Does anyone have a part number for the replacement unit, or a link to one on aliexpress?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Ahh, right - I had seen the odd link to alarm sirens but thought that was different to the main alarm unit! Many thanks VR.

Random point - any link I click on this forum takes me to some weird page trying to get me to buy Disney crap - go.com? You can still get there by copying and pasting the actual link but it's annoying.

Don’t know what’s happening with these links, put the following search term into AliExpress and the items will come up:

Alarm Siren VW

Edited by VRsdgm

All,

Mine had not been replaced from new so it was 12 years old!! I fitted a new one from Skoda myself. As you will see there were a lot of leaves behind the guard under the wing. Very simple to change and no more false alarms now thank goodness. I cut the box open and the battery had leaked onto the circuit board rendering it scrap, but if caught early enough then a battery replacement would be fine.

20180802_142401.jpg

20180802_144427.jpg

20180802_144434.jpg

20180802_154947.jpg

20180802_155357.jpg

• Like 2

1. How can I find the part number for my 61 reg Elegance 2.0. I have rung several Skoda dealers asking for price of unit and all say it should be investigated first which is £105 before buying one

• 1 year later...

Hi to everyone,

My car Skoda Octavia II 2012 1.6 TDI CR (105 HP).

I have a problem with my alarm siren. One day the alarm sound stopped and never sounded. I decided to disassemble the part from the vehicle and replace the battery (As I have seen the posts of battery changers on the forum site). Everything went well, but when I removed the alarm siren circuit, I found that the battery leaked and caused oxidation on the circuit. I wanted to clear oxidation through the circuit, but the circuit path was broken because circuit path was destroyed by oxidation. So here is my question. Where can I find the circuit diagram or photo of the circuit? They want an unnecessarily expensive price for this component in my country. Since I have electrical and electronic knowledge, I want to repair it myself. I hope you can help with this. Thanks for your help. Here is some photos of my work. 

62Meag.jpg
cRWvQ9.jpg
e9bka1.jpg
lFiupV.jpg
0BrfKY.jpg
JI7jxy.jpg
6NDOgJ.jpg

• 1 year later...

A brand new unit is about  £180 and some dealers discount it on ebay, I fitted a second hand one from a scrap yard for £10 and its been OK for a couple of years, I checked the battery on mine and it tested fine but still acted up and eventually leaked.