Enyaq vRS available in Configurator

Hedge

21 hours ago, ronniebarker said:

It would have to be Phoenix Orange and the 21" wheels for me

Once upon a time I enjoyed a Tango Orange Volvo. Was a great car.

Don’t think I’m up for splashing £53K on an Enyaq coop.

EA59A846-E824-487F-BBC2-D5409B9587A1.jpeg

Edited by BoxerBoy

I get the lure of nice cars, I really do, been there myself. But imagine instead of putting 53k into one of these, you bought something reliable for say 13k and put the 40k to work into moderate risk investments.

Probably enough to bring forward retirement by a significant amount.

There must be so many people keeping themselves on the hamster wheel forever just to satisfy that urge to have a nice car.

If you can EASILY afford it now, why not, I'm talking about people who are trying to 'keep up with the jones'.

I fully get the point Dodgy but you could apply that argument to anything.
 Why get spend £13k on something reliable when you could get something reliable for £1300 ? Why pay more money for a house with a bigger garden or a better location? Why spend money on a holiday when you could invest the money instead ? It doesn’t make financial sense to spend £50k on any car, but I think if you’ve got to run on the hamster wheel then get something you want for the effort. I personally wouldn’t get an Enyaq coupe for the same reasons I never got an Octavia vRS.

In any case if you have the cash money to buy a £50k car you would be better to finance the car and invest the money.

I recently turned down an excellent property investment opportunity, which made total financial sense but would have tied up most of our savings until after I was retired. In the end I decided I’d rather enjoy the last decent couple of decades of life and power the hamster wheel faster while I still can. The car I run is a mode of transport which enables my income, it’s a cost, but a managed one. Once I’m retired there will be different criteria to consider.

I’m a paid up member of the Dave Ramsey Fan Club but I’m going to enjoy life before they wheel me into the care home or morgue.

Edited by classic
  • Like 1

Fair enough, not forgetting that the 53k on that car is more like 80k if you include the tax you pay before you get your cash to buy the car, that 80K from your salary could have been put into your pension tax free.

But yeah, I know, I sound like a right miserable old sod 😂 I only ever ran Skodas for a very long time because I had an eye on my future and didn't want to work forever (I retired at 54). 

I know you can extrapolate my argument to every single thing you buy, but your example of the house kind of proves my point, that is generally an appreciating asset.

Of course everyone should do what they want with their money, just pointing out that one day, some might regret their choices when they realise they have to (rather than want to) work until they're 80.

• Like 1

There will be some regrets from many I’m sure ! You are the voice of reason, not a miserable sod 😀

The trick is finding a happy point on the scale of life between being a miser living in a small poorly maintained property but loads of money and being a playboy maxing out your debt and running the hamster wheel until you die !

• Love it! 1

Just now, classic said:

There will be some regrets from many I’m sure ! You are the voice of reason, not a miserable sod 😀

The trick is finding a happy point on the scale of life between being a miser living in a small poorly maintained property but loads of money and being a playboy maxing out your debt and running the hamster wheel until you die !

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm sure the overwhelming majority on here don't need to hear my old man mutterings, though, so I'll shut up now 🤣👍

• Like 1

@Dodgy  Buying them and owning them and using cash or finance compared to just Renting them for 3 years and as a vehicle for using as your 'business transport' are very different things.

The HMRC see it as very different as do the people driving them. 

The cost per year is very different as well & different from an ICE vehicle as your business use transport.  

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

On 19/02/2022 at 12:11, Dodgy said:

I get the lure of nice cars, I really do, been there myself. But imagine instead of putting 53k into one of these, you bought something reliable for say 13k and put the 40k to work into moderate risk investments.

Probably enough to bring forward retirement by a significant amount.

There must be so many people keeping themselves on the hamster wheel forever just to satisfy that urge to have a nice car.

If you can EASILY afford it now, why not, I'm talking about people who are trying to 'keep up with the jones'.

But let's not forget the majority of EVs are being used as company cars due the the low BIK. You can get an Enyaq VRS, etron sportback or a Tesla all in for circa £130 pm. It is cheaper to do that than buy something older & out of warranty and you've still got your money to invest

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, weyland said:

But let's not forget the majority of EVs are being used as company cars due the the low BIK. You can get an Enyaq VRS, etron sportback or a Tesla all in for circa £130 pm. It is cheaper to do that than buy something older & out of warranty and you've still got your money to invest

Of course, definitely 100% agree. My original post was clumsy, hopefully people now realise I'm talking about discretionary spending. Clearly if you get to benefit from the VERY generous BIK for UK company car users, it's a no brainer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have placed an order for the Coupe VRS through my business for that very reason. The low BIK and VAT on payments benefits are such that it makes sense to take advantage before the rules change again which they surely will.