MIB 3 Software glitches - Camberley Service Centre - anyone used?

VRT24

Well the Karoq is 4000 miles / 15 months old now and the MIB3 software glitches are starting to feature. In the early days we had messages flag up about headlights set up for left or right hand traffic - occured 2 or 3 times then stopped - and recently the side assist failed with a vehicle fault message showing on the dash which lasted a week or two and then magically dissapeared! The latest issue is the old SOS emergency call visit workshop message which triggers from time to time but never seems to remain from one journey to another. Thought I'd check the cars software version (270) and discovered that the satnav maps had never updated themselves since the build date (Oct 2021). So enough is enough - I know there is a TPI which covers the headlight and non-updating satnav map issue - so it needs to go to the dealers to fix that and the SOS fault.

Have tried several times in the past few days to contact the service department at the supplying dealership but have never been called back. Miraculously I got through this morning and having explained all the faults was told they want the car for 3 days! They will do diagnostics day one and the other days are to allow time to order up parts as required - suppose its better than one trip for them to do diagnostics and then another for parts to be fitted. My main issue, however, was they said they were waiting for Skoda to release a software fix to sort the SOS fault! Well posts on here seem to indicate the update has been around a while! I also highlighted the TPI covering the headlight setting error messages and satnav map not updating (2063258/7) and was told there was not a TPI that covered those and the SOS fault - they wouldn't even take the TPI number from me! I was also advised that a dirty car can affect the side assist system, but I had specifically cleaned the sensors in the bumper and the camera above the numberplate and the error hadn't cleared.

So, given they can't take the car in for 3 weeks, the lack of call backs and unwillingness to note/recognise my TPI recommendation, I'm considering alternative dealerships/workshops to sort this out. There is Camberley Service Centre (Surrey GU15) which are are an authorised Skoda service & warranty centre and most reviews I can find online seem positive, so I'm wondering if anyone on here has had recent experience of them? The forum page with dealer reviews has a few postings for them, but nothing for some years.

Sorry, can you clarify please? You say that the car is 15 months old, and maps haven't updated, but you maps are dated October 21? Have I misunderstood, as on the face of it, it looks as though your maps are a year newer than your car. Do you have the Columbus system (I assume so as you have an Edition)? I've just checked my date, car built some time around September/October, maps appear to be November 21.

Definately try another dealer if you have one locally - although "Lack of call backs" and unwillingness to go the extra mile (or just do what the rest of us would consider to be a "decent job" does sadly seem to be all too common at a good number (but not all) of the Skoda (and other VAG franchises) that I have dealt with in my 15 years of VAG ownership. Check that they are not part of the same "group" though.  A call to Skoda CS would maybe oil the wheels a bit??

Edited by smipx

Update - friends recommended the dealer in Winchester and I called their service department who were very helpful. They noted all the issues we've seen and that they all reset themselves and thus are not shown on the MIB's Vehicle Log Screen. They said a software update was a potential resolution but they would want to check the car in case it was also hardware issue - but they wouldn't need the car for 3 days like the supplying dealer was wanting. Plus we didn;t have to wait 3 weeks to get booked in.

So it went to them today and they had it around 3 to 4 hours - was advised they had updated the software (now on version 276) and this should address all the issues. Unfortunately it won't cover updating the satnav map database as our first year Infotainment online subscription ended in Novemeber/December, so I'll have to manually do the update - but I'm assured if the Infotainment online had still been active then the maps would update! They made no mention of hardware issues although I notice a load of fingerprints on the nearside doormirror - so maybe there was an issue there that had triggered the blind spot assist fault.

Anyway its a thumbs up for the Winchester dealership (assuming the software update does resolve the MIB3 glitches we have been seeing) and pleasing that we didn't have the 'we can't replicate the fault so can't do anything' response some dealers have given other owners on here with similar MIB3 software issues.

I haven't forgotten the Camberley Service Centre and will probably see how they do when it comes to the car's second service in November.

1 hour ago, VRT24 said:

Unfortunately it won't cover updating the satnav map database as our first year Infotainment online subscription ended in Novemeber/December, so I'll have to manually do the update

Can you manually update the mapping database on the MIB3 system?

7 hours ago, VRT24 said:

Update - friends recommended the dealer in Winchester and I called their service department who were very helpful. They noted all the issues we've seen and that they all reset themselves and thus are not shown on the MIB's Vehicle Log Screen. They said a software update was a potential resolution but they would want to check the car in case it was also hardware issue - but they wouldn't need the car for 3 days like the supplying dealer was wanting. Plus we didn;t have to wait 3 weeks to get booked in.

So it went to them today and they had it around 3 to 4 hours - was advised they had updated the software (now on version 276) and this should address all the issues. Unfortunately it won't cover updating the satnav map database as our first year Infotainment online subscription ended in Novemeber/December, so I'll have to manually do the update - but I'm assured if the Infotainment online had still been active then the maps would update! They made no mention of hardware issues although I notice a load of fingerprints on the nearside doormirror - so maybe there was an issue there that had triggered the blind spot assist fault.

Anyway its a thumbs up for the Winchester dealership (assuming the software update does resolve the MIB3 glitches we have been seeing) and pleasing that we didn't have the 'we can't replicate the fault so can't do anything' response some dealers have given other owners on here with similar MIB3 software issues.

I haven't forgotten the Camberley Service Centre and will probably see how they do when it comes to the car's second service in November.

As there is only one Skoda dealer in Winchester I cannot say I received the same service from them, I recently had my Karoq serviced there and reported MIB 3 issues at booking in and was told on the phone it probably needed a software update, when I got the car back I was told they have not updated the software as they could not reproduce it and it was not logged in the vehicle system, so thumbs down from me...

7 hours ago, Jayd said:

Can you manually update the mapping database on the MIB3 system?

Supposedly so. This page on Skoda's website - https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/how-to-videos -  gives you the details. In simple terms download via pc onto a flash drive and then put the flash drive into one of the 2 usb sockets beside the phone charging pad (ahead of the gearstick/shifter) and leave it there for a few journeys until the update has fully loaded.

So far I've loaded up the flash drive and will try the install to the car in a week or two when we will be driving up to Cleveland. If all goes well I'll try and create a 'how to step by step guide' and post it on the forum.

1 hour ago, Bryfly said:

As there is only one Skoda dealer in Winchester I cannot say I received the same service from them, I recently had my Karoq serviced there and reported MIB 3 issues at booking in and was told on the phone it probably needed a software update, when I got the car back I was told they have not updated the software as they could not reproduce it and it was not logged in the vehicle system, so thumbs down from me...

Sorry to hear that. Guess the blind spot assist fault on ours (which I suspect was a hardware fault) was logged in the obd so gave them something to start with. The other was that the Satnav maps had never updated since build and with the over the air updates that 'Infotainment online' should have provided free in the first year, there was further evidence all was not well.

The Brockenhurst dealer is praised over on the Karoq forum, although I suspect that's principally from a car sales point of view, but maybe worth phoning?

1 hour ago, VRT24 said:

Supposedly so. This page on Skoda's website - https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/how-to-videos -  gives you the details. In simple terms download via pc onto a flash drive and then put the flash drive into one of the 2 usb sockets beside the phone charging pad (ahead of the gearstick/shifter) and leave it there for a few journeys until the update has fully loaded.

So far I've loaded up the flash drive and will try the install to the car in a week or two when we will be driving up to Cleveland. If all goes well I'll try and create a 'how to step by step guide' and post it on the forum.

There is some info on peoples experiences with map updates in this thread:

Hi, Skoda newbie here.

I've an Edition manufactured Sept 2020, registered 31 March 21 as a demonstrator and bought June 21.

I am trying to work out if there is an update for the Navigation D/B.

Currently, the car says Nav D/B is 21.5.

The latest update on Skoda site is OI_P65_EU_202125.

Can anyone tell me how the version numbers relate please? Have I got the latest maps?

John

26 minutes ago, barcudcoch said:

Hi, Skoda newbie here.

I've an Edition manufactured Sept 2020, registered 31 March 21 as a demonstrator and bought June 21.

I am trying to work out if there is an update for the Navigation D/B.

Currently, the car says Nav D/B is 21.5.

The latest update on Skoda site is OI_P65_EU_202125.

Can anyone tell me how the version numbers relate please? Have I got the latest maps?

John

Hi there,

The nav database I have is 22.1, so looks like you are a bit behind on the nav database version. 

Software version on mine is 0278 also.

• Like 1

Thanks @Jayd

When I went to "updateportal.skoda-auto.com" there were no software updates for my VIN, but latest maps were OI_P65_EU_202125 as noted above

I'm not sure if I should have MIB2 or MIB3?

I'm guessing build in Sept 2020 would be Model Year 21?

As an ex-demonstrator, I didn't get much extra info on the car.

Any info would be useful please?

26 minutes ago, barcudcoch said:

Thanks @Jayd

When I went to "updateportal.skoda-auto.com" there were no software updates for my VIN, but latest maps were OI_P65_EU_202125 as noted above

I'm not sure if I should have MIB2 or MIB3?

I'm guessing build in Sept 2020 would be Model Year 21?

As an ex-demonstrator, I didn't get much extra info on the car.

Any info would be useful please?

If MY21 then its MIB3. The Edition comes with the Columbus interface - larger screen and no buttons. You'll have 5 'touch buttons' printed on the left side - Menu, Home, Vol up & down and power.

As to satnav map database, if the MIB3 shows 21.5 that means 21 = 2021 and 5 = May, so you are behind. This indicates that there has been an update installed since the car was built, although whether that was over the air (under the Infotainment online feature) or it was manually updated by the dealer ahead of the sale, remains to be seen. What software version do you have? Version 0270 seems to have some issues which can include not acting on over the air map database updates. There have been over the air map database updates released since you bought the car in June 2021, so I'm guessing you have software version 0270 and over the air updates therefore haven't been acted on. There are software updates that only dealers can apply and won't show on the update portal.

Infotainment online is only free for 12 months from registration, so unless you pay to extend it for a further year the maps won't update over the air anyway. You should be contacted by Skoda to tell you the free Infotainemnt online period is due to expire and offering renewal at a fee. However, if you are on software version 0270 and it is not acting on over the air map updates, then even if you accept that renewal offer, the over the air map updates still won't happen unless the software is updated to a version since 0270. If that is your software version, then talk to your dealer pointing out that the over the air map updates don't appear to be being acted upon so would they kindly update your software version.

Hunt around on this forum - there have been posts outlining what the MY21 Skoda online package provides and what you lose if you don't pay the yearly fee after your first free year of Infotainment online expires. Main things that I can find missing are the map database over the air updates and live traffic data - but there are other things you lose such as Remote Access (I've never used that so won't miss it).

In the absence of achieving successful over the air map updates, you will have to do it manually by downloading them off the Skoda website and uploading them to the car via the USB-C sockets in the front.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, VRT24 said:

If MY21 then its MIB3. The Edition comes with the Columbus interface - larger screen and no buttons. You'll have 5 'touch buttons' printed on the left side - Menu, Home, Vol up & down and power.

As to satnav map database, if the MIB3 shows 21.5 that means 21 = 2021 and 5 = May, so you are behind. This indicates that there has been an update installed since the car was built, although whether that was over the air (under the Infotainment online feature) or it was manually updated by the dealer ahead of the sale, remains to be seen. What software version do you have? Version 0270 seems to have some issues which can include not acting on over the air map database updates. There have been over the air map database updates released since you bought the car in June 2021, so I'm guessing you have software version 0270 and over the air updates therefore haven't been acted on. There are software updates that only dealers can apply and won't show on the update portal.

Infotainment online is only free for 12 months from registration, so unless you pay to extend it for a further year the maps won't update over the air anyway. You should be contacted by Skoda to tell you the free Infotainemnt online period is due to expire and offering renewal at a fee. However, if you are on software version 0270 and it is not acting on over the air map updates, then even if you accept that renewal offer, the over the air map updates still won't happen unless the software is updated to a version since 0270. If that is your software version, then talk to your dealer pointing out that the over the air map updates don't appear to be being acted upon so would they kindly update your software version.

Hunt around on this forum - there have been posts outlining what the MY21 Skoda online package provides and what you lose if you don't pay the yearly fee after your first free year of Infotainment online expires. Main things that I can find missing are the map database over the air updates and live traffic data - but there are other things you lose such as Remote Access (I've never used that so won't miss it).

In the absence of achieving successful over the air map updates, you will have to do it manually by downloading them off the Skoda website and uploading them to the car via the USB-C sockets in the front.

I'm sure elsewhere on this forum someone has said that the Skoda maps are always a year older than the VW ones and that it was possible to update using the VW system to get the latest maps. Whether this was just for MIB2 I'm not sure. 

tom 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, barcudcoch said:

Thanks again @Jayd

Odd that updateportal.skoda-auto.com did not offer an update from 0270? Anyway, I downloaded the new map data.

I'll have a good look round the forum as you suggest.

John

.The failure to

The failure to do automatic online mapping database updates is one of half a dozen known issues with the MIB version 0270.

There was a TPI for this last August, something I didn't know until a very nice bloke in Aberdeen posted in this thread.

It's the third post.

I've since taken the car in to be updated - to 0276, as it happens - and last week it got its act together and my maps have gone from 21.1 to 22.1.

You need to have the MIB software update.

Edited by Phutters

29 minutes ago, Phutters said:

.The failure to

I've since taken the car in to be updated - to 0276, as it happens

You need to have the MIB software update.

It's a pain that Skoda will not put that update online for customers to update it themselves, myself, like others have trouble getting a dealer to update it, as we are faced with the dealer answer "there is no fault recorded in the system" cannot update it, Skoda customer services are no help either..

Went down to my Skoda dealer and I got the 'we'll have to look for fault codes.....'.

Then told to check for software upgrades on the Columbus screen after I left.

Immediately I left, nothing showing, about 20 mins later I checked again and there was a software upgrade.

I let it run, it was very quick, and checked system settings and Software still listed as 0270.

And I'm no closer to decoding the version number of the latest Maps offline update file (OI_P65_EU_202125).  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, barcudcoch said:

Went down to my Skoda dealer and I got the 'we'll have to look for fault codes.....'.

Then told to check for software upgrades on the Columbus screen after I left.

Immediately I left, nothing showing, about 20 mins later I checked again and there was a software upgrade.

I let it run, it was very quick, and checked system settings and Software still listed as 0270.

And I'm no closer to decoding the version number of the latest Maps offline update file (OI_P65_EU_202125).  Any ideas?

How long did they have the car for to do the software upgrade? As I said in my earlier post, there are some system software updates that only a dealer can install and going from 0270 to 0276 takes an hour or so, and is not an update that you can do yourself. So not sure what the dealer did - if they said to look for upgrades after you left, I wonder what exactly they were referring to, as when I went from 270 to 276 it was showing when I picked it up from the dealer. And has the navigation database changed since they had it?

As to the map update file, yes that is the latest file for MIB3 Columbus. When you go through the https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ and enter your VIN, it automatically produces the latest map file for your vehicle. Let us know how you get on - if you manage to successfully install the updated file into your car - I have the file unzipped and loaded onto a flashdrive, but I'm waiting for a long journey before I try to upload it into the car so that it has as few interuptions (engine offs) as possible.

It was just a brief visit, and I was a little surprised to see the very minor update. So quick and no indication of what it was.

I checked the Software version - not changes, and the Nav D/B version hadn't either.

I'll unzip the Map update and put it on a USB drive (as it says in the MIB3 instructions which I just remembered to read first). The instructions say keep it plugged in presumeably until it finishes the update.👍

Thus:

Insert the USB Flash Disc into the proper connector in the front part of the car.
The vehicle uses the data on the USB disc while driving to update the
required map regions. For proper updating, we recommend to leave the
USB Flash Disc plugged into the vehicle connector each time you drive.

.....but for how long?  Does it tell you?

I wonder, are the Skoda manuals written in German, translated to Czech and then translated to English?

Don't forget you'll need an adaptor for your flash drive as it's USB-C sockets in the car, unless you have a USB-C equipped flash drive. I bought this adaptor https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XYTHCXV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As to how long to leave the flash drive installed, I believe it is quite a lengthy upload - hours, so open navigation, plug it in and go for a drive. If you stop and turn the engine off the upload stops, although thankfully it restarts from where it left off when you next turn the engine back on.

Agree the instructions are hard going - lots gets lost in translation! The online manual is just as bad - at least the MY21 manual is available now, as when we bought our car all there was was the MY20 version which didn't have the MIB3, so all the infotainment instructions referred to screens/options/selections we either couldn't find or just didn't have! A situation compounded by the poor translation into English!