Gearbox fault light warning

Hi, having searched the superb forum I can't seem to find the issue I'm facing so I'll throw it up here and see how it goes.

I drive 2017 2.0 dsg auto 150bhp. It has 230,000k on it.

I recently had gearbox oil changed about  2 weeks ago.  Just to include all details, work was done everything seemed fine, although the guy (main dealer)....said they noticed small leak from the gearbox. As I'd had no issues, I thought I'll have a think about if I need to have it checked further.  Anyway, driving the car today, was at low speed and went to accelerate, it was like it jumped out of gear, and immediately got warning message saying gearbox fault, pull over safely. Did so, turned off the engine then restarted it, and message disappeared. However soon as I repeated accelerate....it happened again. Then, a third time the same again.  So I restarted again and drove slowly back home. The engine management light came on en route too! Any suggestions? 

Thanks Mark.

Will need plugging in to find out the fault codes

im assuming it’s a 7 speed auto, if so with that kind of mileage you’re probably due a clutch pack... possibly slipping and disengaging. 

• Like 1

@MarkBuck9Welcome. 

The issue is if the small leak was from the MCU that is something that needed checking out and not just telling you about, or after you were told you needed to agree to more of an investigation. 

They did the Oil Change at the Dealership, took your money and really by doing so they are now a bit responsible as in the guarantee their work.

Their employee should have spotted the leak and maybe not done the DSG service if the leak needed investigated.

Speak with the Dealer Principal not the service desk manager or Workshop Manager or the Master Tech before they do a diagnosis. 

Just so they know that they can not wash their hands of the issue by saying there was a leak.

If it is the clutch packs then so be it, but the engine or DSG is not supposed to leak oil / transmission oil. 

• Like 1

Thanks for replies. The car is a 6 speed auto. The clutch was only done 4 months ago. I'm assuming gearbox not totally gone...if car still drives albeit intermittently between malfunctions?

Thanks for replies. The car is a 6 speed auto. The clutch was only done 4 months ago. I'm assuming gearbox not totally gone...if car still drives albeit intermittently between malfunctions?

While reading through some stuff last night, one article I read seemed to suggest the gearbox warning and engine management warning aren't really connected and mentioned possible battery replacement, that weak battery could cause issues.  Is this possible? I realise it needs to be diagnosed, just as it's now Sunday....its a waiting game 😇

Quick update....

Car no longer drives forward, every time I start up and put into drive, soon as I try go forward fault comes up straight away, although, when put in reverse...seems to operate fine?

Will try to upload 5 different screenshots of the warnings I get...hoping someone can give me some information. 

Edited by john999boy
Images removed at OP's request - to be re-uploaded later.

@MarkBuck9  If the clutches were replaced 4 months ago why was the car at the main dealers getting the oil changed was the oil not changed 4 months ago.

Seems like it is the person that did the work 4 months ago that you might need to be talking with after you have words with the Dealerships manager. 

1 minute ago, roottoot said:

@MarkBuck9  If the clutches were replaced 4 months ago why was the car at the main dealers getting the oil changed was the oil not changed 4 months ago.

Seems like it is the person that did the work 4 months ago that you might need to be talking with after you have words with the Dealerships manager. 

Clutch done at different place. Car apparently has wet Clutch and DMF. Went to main dealer for gearbox oil change as it was on special offer. 

4 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@MarkBuck9

I know what they are, i just fail to understand why anyone doing the work 4 months ago never did an oil change.

Finding where the leak is needs doing.

I'm a novice at this kind of stuff. Clutch DMF went before Christmas, I simply went to Clutch and gearbox place....and they repaired it. Gearbox oil wasn't due for replacement at that time. Fell due recently so had it done then.  Apparently the wet Clutch had been done approx 50,000k earlier.....seen documentation of that. Thought that strange, but like I said I'm a novice!

• Thanks 1

The Oil Change interval is @ 40,000 miles / 65,000 km.  

It would be nice if it is a battery on connection issue. Best find where the leak is from and if it is from the MCU and there is any pressure issues.

Your box has the same oil in the box and mcu.

The DQ200 DSG's that do not get oil changes have 2 oils, 1 in the MCU and different oil in the dry clutch box. 

1523246044_Screenshot2020-07-25at14_19_50.webp

Edited by roottoot

12 minutes ago, roottoot said:

The Oil Change interval is @ 40,000 miles / 65,000 km.  

It would be nice if it is a battery on connection issue. Best find where the leak is from and if it is from the MCU and there is any pressure issues.

Your box has the same oil in the box and mcu.

The DQ200 DSG's that do not get oil changes have 2 oils, 1 in the MCU and different oil in the dry clutch box. 

1523246044_Screenshot2020-07-25at14_19_50.webp

Thanks Roottoot. Re the battery, do you mean a new one hopefully could solve the problem? Obviously the leak needs investigation too though..

10 hours ago, MarkBuck9 said:

the battery, do you mean a new one hopefully could solve the problem?

Yes; as per my last a bad battery (which happens surprisingly quickly/soon on a car this sort of age, especially with Stop/Start systems) can cause all sorts of reported systems errors.

11 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Yes; as per my last a bad battery (which happens surprisingly quickly/soon on a car this sort of age, especially with Stop/Start systems) can cause all sorts of reported systems errors.

Thanks.  Getting towed to skoda shortly. Will update thread later in the week. Think they look at it Wednesday morning 👍