Coolant

Hi all.  I have a skoda superb 2014.  The coolant is literally on the Min line.  I've ordered some coolant but just realised it's concentrate (thought I purchased ready mixed!) 

It says to dilute it - 33% coolant 67% deionised water.

Must I dilute it if I'm literally just topping up the coolant? Must I use deionised water?

Thanks in advance

SmartSelect_20220313-160558_Amazon Shopping.jpg

As far as I can tell, it's compatible with the coolant in your car which is a good start. It can be used concentrated if you wish, it won't do any harm, you'll just use more than you'd need to if you diluted it. If you are diluting it, you must use distilled or deionised water. Regular tap water will have impurities in it that can precipitate out and scale up the cooling system (much like how it causes scale buildup on the kettle in the kitchen). It's not expensive at motor factors.

In 45 years of motoring living on the Surrey Sussex border I have only ever used tap water and (sometimes) anti-freeze as a coolant on all engine types, of all materials on road and race vehicles during that time carrying out countless engine rebuilds and never ever had any problems or found anything negative to report.

In fact I don't know of anybody that has used distilled or de-ionised water for coolant but I suppose they must exist with the power of the internet to reinforce percieved wisdom.

Here in France coolant is only sold premixed so I suppose people are getting de-ionised water but how would they even know?

Ironically today for the first time in my life I needed distilled water to calibrate a refractometer, its been done with tap water for the present.

I'd just top it up with the concentrate. I regularly use a dehumidifier in the house for drying clothes and use the water it collects for diluting coolant. Though I've used tap water for years as I've never lived in a hard water area where I've had issues with limescale with domestic appliances.

You're only putting a tiny bit of coolant in - I'd just top up with the concentrate as is..

Blimey another member of the 1.4tsi mkII owners club - rare in these parts!

My Dad lived in Hull(bad limescale area) and frequently used tap water in his old pre crossflow mkII Cortina over many years. Once when I rebuilt the engine for him there was a little evidence of limescale in parts  - mind you that was the least of it's problems. The cooling system had failed(big hole in rad) and it had melted a piston - the temperature gauge sensor was high up in the engine so it didn't show there was a problem in the car as the water level had dropped so quickly.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

On 17/03/2022 at 11:22, thekaratekid said:

Knock on wood I've had no issues with this car, ever.  Yes I've had the chain rattle at start but a change in oil filter has sorted it.

Great car

Likewise - Mine now 100k miles and still sounds the same as when I got it at 14months old.  It's only had front brakes, a snapped spring and just recently rear shocks, All in all fabulous car. Touching wood...........

Edited by bigjohn