Infotainment Android Auto issue

Hi Skoda friends,

First post on forums ever, forgive me if in the wrong section and feel free to relocate. 

I recently purchased a 2017 MK3 Octavia Estate VRS 2.0. Photo attached. I am absolutely delighted with all the new upgrades in spec from my beloved 2009 Mitsu Lancer.

While I seem to have Smart link on my infotainment, I cannot seem to get it connected to my Huawei P20 smart device. See update details attached. When I plug in the USB cable the phone activates charging but the Apple Car Play and AA are all greyed out. I am very confused as to why it is not connecting and I would like to note that I have actually searched these forums and google in general and can rule out many issues such as debugging etc. I can see online that my system is the MIB2 Bolero.

Any idea why the functions are greyed out? I don't have NAV on mine so I wanted to use my Android phone with Smart Link 😕

Your knowledge really appreciated.

IMG_20220317_172934.jpg

IMG-20220209-WA0003.jpeg

Make sure the cable is a good quality one. Make sure you have the data mode set correctly on the phone. Make sure your phone actually supports Android auto. A Huawei may not with the shenanigans with trump stopping Google access.

Maybe find a friend who has it working on their car and try your phone in it and get them to try their phone in your car.

Edited by MarkyG82
  • Like 1

thanks folks, I am going to try my wife's iphone & cable to se will that work. My P20 has android auto and I even updated the app and cleared cache etc.

You might need Android Auto activating. I had the Smartlink Menu option, but it didn't work until I had Android Auto activated at a dealer. That was on a 2015 car.

• Like 1

Nik the Geek, this is what I was wondering, does it need a code to be activated or does the option not show up at all if you don't have  the function. I'll check that out with Skoda tomorrow thanks.

I'm sure you get a pop up or other message saying it needs activating and to contact a dealer. If you are getting the smartlink screen without it then you should be good.

Incidentally, when it does come up (even when working) it looks like it's greyed out but you can still select. Just be sure to hit the right one. Mirror link is also an option but a pile of p00.

• Like 2

Definitely check the USB settings menu on your phone and a decent quality cable, Anker on Amazon is good, as is Amazon's own brand. 

As it's an Android device, have a look in tethering settings, another way to access USB settings is to activate developer mode in settings. 

To activate it. 

Settings ➡️ About phone ➡️ Software Information ➡️ Build Number.

Tap Build Number between 5-7 times, if you have done it correctly the phone will show a small dialogue box, saying Developer Mode is active. 

So now when you go into the settings menu right down at the bottom you'll find Developer options. Screenshot_20220319-211939_Settings.thumb.jpg.931fb706c0d4714ed28de43b3db004e6.jpg

In there, there are a couple of USB options, only tinker with settings in here if you know what you're doing. 😉

• Like 1

Wanderer, I think you might have sorted me mate! I activated and went into Developer mode and there is an option to select USB configuration and in that it was set to CHARGE ONLY.

There is media transfer protocol there so I'll try that tomorow. Hopefully that does the trick.

Marky thanks for your input too mate. The options are there but just greyed out.

Legends, I'll let ye know tomorrow if it works!

• Like 2

ok guys latest update, Stiill no joy after activating some developer options, reinstalling android auto to latest version. Nothing. Plugged in my wifes iphone 11 and up it comes no prob. I have found a blog that says Huawei phones are notoriously temperamental with android auto. I will try another cable as a last resort but failing that... I need a new phone! 

Ah... You never said that your phone was Huawei. 

Huawei is blacklisted by Google services due to the US (and most of the Western world governments) having security concerns and possible security breaches and leaks to the Chinese government and of course Android and Android Auto is run by Google. 

The best way to find out if this is now the case, borrow a friend's Android phone non-Huawei and plug it into your car. If that works then you will have found your answer. 

45 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Ah... You never said that your phone was Huawei.

Actually he did. 😉

On 17/03/2022 at 21:20, MackyVRS said:

While I seem to have Smart link on my infotainment, I cannot seem to get it connected to my Huawei P20 smart device.

I've never had a Huawei but wonder if the P20 was one of the phones that was pre embargo though so may have had the functionality from the beginning - unless it was subsequently removed?

Depends on whether GS were "side loaded" onto the phone or not and whether Google took any action to mitigate against sideloading of GS on Huawei devices and stop apps like AA from functioning. 

Like I said before the best way to find out would be to get someone with a Samsung or Sony etc device with AA on and plug it into the car. 

If that functions then there's a reasonable probability that the phone is blocked by Google from using it as it (AA) uses GSs therefore breaching the embargo by US & Western Governments. 

Edited by TheWanderer

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

If that functions then there's a reasonable probability that the phone is blocked by Google from using it as it (AA) uses GSs therefore breaching the embargo by US & Western Governments. 

Been a while since I was into the whole android flashing thing but usually if an app is installed ok it should work. It would be stopped at the play store end (assuming it has play store access). If side loaded then it could be an issue like AA doesn't have the correct trigger in the system code to fire it up. 

Maybe run it as the app on the phone and get it running. Then plug it in.

• Like 1

That's why I suggested that the OP tried another brand of android phone to see if there's an issue with Google. 

Because if you get another brand of phone and it works, it's more probable than not that there's a block on any Huawei device using any Google software app, as you correctly say a trigger (checksum or suchlike) in there stopping it from running. 

• Groan 1

Hi, I have the same issue with Huawei P20. I know the Android auto works as I tried it with a friend's car (Ford Puma) and it worked no problem.

I also tried to use 2 different cables (one of the the original that came with the phone) and still didn't work. My wife has the Samsung S10 and it doesn't work either, so my guess is that the version of the firmware car is too old for new phones. The skoda dealer might be able to update or fix.

I'll keep digging as I have another conversation open regarding this and the navigation SD card

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

All sorted today.....using my Samsung Galaxy A51 work phone. Plugged into and Android Auto came straight up. Was using the maps and calls everything.

So the issue is definitely my Huawei although even though I do know about the Google malarky with Huawei, the services are all supposed to be fully functional on mine. It was only to be new model phones brought out after that decision was made. Ohhh America worried about spying on people..the ****ing irony!  I tweaked every setting on my Huawei from Developer mode usb options to the AA app but nothing would activate it so there has to be something stopping it. Anyway, not ideal but I can bring the work phone when required until I get a new personal phone. I only wanted this for long journeys anyway. The Huawei does connect by Bluetooth where I can play my few tunes ...most important!

I must say this Skoda site is absolutely fantastic and you guys have been bloody great in helping thanks! I've found out so much stuff here about different things with the car.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alex_Delarge said:

Hi, I have the same issue with Huawei P20. I know the Android auto works as I tried it with a friend's car (Ford Puma) and it worked no problem.

I also tried to use 2 different cables (one of the the original that came with the phone) and still didn't work. My wife has the Samsung S10 and it doesn't work either, so my guess is that the version of the firmware car is too old for new phones. The skoda dealer might be able to update or fix.

I'll keep digging as I have another conversation open regarding this and the navigation SD card

Not sure mate but it worked for me today with another phone. I don't actually have the NAV button my my infotainment but I want to use Google maps so that was what was annoying me.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2022 at 20:55, MarkyG82 said:

Been a while since I was into the whole android flashing thing but usually if an app is installed ok it should work. It would be stopped at the play store end (assuming it has play store access). If side loaded then it could be an issue like AA doesn't have the correct trigger in the system code to fire it up. 

Maybe run it as the app on the phone and get it running. Then plug it in.

App seems to be downloaded from the store and functioning ok. It's like the Skoda system won't read the data transfer.

• Like 1

Strange this. My old Huawei Mate 10 Pro, which is the same era as the P20, worked really well with Android Auto. My wife still uses hers in a Tucson and as far as I know there are no issues. Sorry I can't be of any real help. Is it worth a reset of the phone?

My new OnePlus frequently disconnects and reconnects after about 20 minutes of being plugged in. It's infuriating. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

Strange this. My old Huawei Mate 10 Pro, which is the same era as the P20, worked really well with Android Auto. My wife still uses hers in a Tucson and as far as I know there are no issues. Sorry I can't be of any real help. Is it worth a reset of the phone?

My new OnePlus frequently disconnects and reconnects after about 20 minutes of being plugged in. It's infuriating. 

Weird alright! I had a Oneplus before the Huawei, fantastic phone. Samsung v OnePlus, bit like VW v Skoda lol , same parts but the latter just offers more

10 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

That issue sounds like the phone's power-saving feature is killing off processes when it thinks they are unused. There may be an option to prevent it in the power settings? 

• Thanks 1