New tires needed.

Hi everyone,

I need a set of new tires and a bit confused as to what fact size I need.

In the past I’ve purchased 205/60R15 95H but this now seems to be quite a rare size.

I have this info on the fuel cap but which one applies to my car?

many thanks 

Inza 

88900836-4A52-429D-A7F3-CF1F74B5659C.jpeg

The 205/60 R 15 might appear rare but they are not extinct.  Just check who can supply that tyre size and what tyres you want at what price and order 4 or 5 of them.

Is it more choice of tyres you want in another size or just being able to buy tyres cheaper?

https://asdatyres.co.uk/205-60-15

http://blackcircles.com

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Hi and thanks for the reply:)

Essentially I’m looking for options in terms of sizes. 

For example, can I also use R16,17 on the same wheels?

many thanks 

Inza 

57 minutes ago, Inza said:

I have this info on the fuel cap but which one applies to my car?

You tell us. The size information is helpfully moulded onto the tyre sidewalls (and wheel size stamped or cast onto the wheels).

Where do you work? (town/city) I may be able to recommend a supplier near there but don't know anyone in Lanark.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

You tell us. The size information is helpfully moulded onto the tyre sidewalls (and wheel size stamped or cast onto the wheels).

Where do you work? (town/city) I may be able to recommend a supplier near there but don't know anyone in Lanark.

In the past I’ve purchased 205/60R15 95H and based near Lanark :)

16 minutes ago, Golf-Fiend said:

Blackcircles list that size:

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/205-50-15

£65 fitted for some Sumitomos or £72 for some Toyos.  The wife has the Sumitomos on her VW and they seem fine though I'd plump for the Toyos personally.  You might want a chunkier tread for your 4x4 but really depends on where you drive?

I do a lot of motorway miles and mainly drive on roads. Nothing off road or anything of that nature.

You would probably be better off fitting 195/65/15 tyres instead.

They are a much more commonly available tyre size, and are far cheaper than 205/60/15.

You can get a full set of Michelin CrossClimate2 all seasons in 195/65/15 fitted at Kwikfit for less than £280 currently.

I used to run summer and winter tyres and swap them over, but I got fed up of that. The last few years I just fitted a set of all seasons and have not noticed any drawbacks.

The Crossclimate2 are one of the most consistent all rounders in recent tyre tests, in all weathers.

No they are not quite as good as a full summer tyre in hot weather, but you are not driving a sports car, nor are they a full hardcore winter tyre, but they are a very good all rounder. 

Given where you are in the country, I'd expect you get a very good range of weather?

For me it was a no brainer to fit all seasons.

Edited by softscoop
  • Like 1

@Inzabasically it is a no brainer if buying new tyres that you go for All Weathers (All Seasons as in all 4 seasons not Summers as VW seem to think as All Season.)

There is no downsize for you even if this year is Scorchio all year and the temperature reaches 28*oC for all of 10 hours.

The tyres will not melt and the car will not corner like it is on Jelly on 205/60 R 15 All Weathers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, softscoop said:

I used to run summer and winter tyres and swap them over, but I got fed up of that. The last few years I just fitted a set of all seasons and have not noticed any drawbacks.

The Crossclimate2 are one of the most consistent all rounders in recent tyre tests, in all weathers.

No they are not quite as good as a full summer tyre in hot weather, but you are not driving a sports car, nor are they a full hardcore winter tyre, but they are a very good all rounder. 

Given where you are in the country, I'd expect you get a very good range of weather?

For me it was a no brainer to fit all seasons.

I've been using the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2. They've been good but were and still are quite expensoive. Unfortunately due to the rising costs I need to save a bit of money hence cannot buy them again.

I am inclined to go for an all season and the cross climate seems to be a good pick at a reasonable price. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Golf-Fiend said:

Blackcircles list that size:

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/205-50-15

£65 fitted for some Sumitomos or £72 for some Toyos.  The wife has the Sumitomos on her VW and they seem fine though I'd plump for the Toyos personally.  You might want a chunkier tread for your 4x4 but really depends on where you drive?

205/50R15 is the wrong size for the Octavia MK2 4x4.

I think you meant 205/60R15, which is a much bigger tyre.

Edited by Carlston

5 hours ago, Carlston said:

205/50R15 is the wrong size for the Octavia MK2 4x4.

I think you meant 205/60R15, which is a much bigger tyre.

WHOOPS! My mistake. Should have been wearing my glasses when browsing on my phone!  Indeed, you are correct 205/60/15's  which, for the Toyos are £6 a corner cheaper. Win-win then.