Usb-c slow phone charging

Hello

I have a problem with slow phone charging from usb-c ports in Skoda Octavia 2021.

When I connect my Samsung S21 to the USB-C port in the car, everything seems fine. But after around 10 sec the phone stops charging. Then after 2 sec it starts to charge again but very slow. It lose more battery than charge so when I drive in a long trip I have to worry about the battery in my phone. 

It looks strange because after the connection it starts to charge fast (about 1h45min full charge) but as I said - after about 10 seconds it disconnects and after another 2 seconds starts to charge again but very slow (about 6h full charge). It is as much slow that my phone loses battery % while driving.

I tried to change the cable but nothing changed. My phone charges fast while connected to the normal 230V brick (about 1h30min full charge) so I think the phone is ok.

I tried connecting my friend Samsung S20FE and it charges fine from my car USB-C port. It shows about 1h45min full charge and doesnt disconnect after few seconds.

Do you know what is wrong?

Any ideas?

Your best bet is NOT to use the usb port but buy a proper charger for what was the cigarette lighter socket. 

I have a couple of chargers for my car, one is a 60w which has a PD and standard USB and the other is a 40W with 2x standard USB sockets, both will charge my Galaxy S20 quite quickly via direct connection or via wireless charger, although the wireless charger does tend to struggle to keep the charging level up whilst BT and Waze are active, whereas if I use the direct connection it will keep the phone at 100% without any issues. 

29 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Your best bet is NOT to use the usb port but buy a proper charger for what was the cigarette lighter socket. 

I have a couple of chargers for my car, one is a 60w which has a PD and standard USB and the other is a 40W with 2x standard USB sockets, both will charge my Galaxy S20 quite quickly via direct connection or via wireless charger, although the wireless charger does tend to struggle to keep the charging level up whilst BT and Waze are active, whereas if I use the direct connection it will keep the phone at 100% without any issues. 

But there is no cigarette lighter socket in the front of the Skoda Octavia 2021...

29 minutes ago, Omniking said:

Maybe a firmware bug in the s21, try to rebooting the s21. Some new phones have fast charging settings try enabling and disabling those and test.

I will try, thank you

On 28/03/2022 at 23:03, Omniking said:

Maybe a firmware bug in the s21, try to rebooting the s21. Some new phones have fast charging settings try enabling and disabling those and test.

Nothing changed unfortunately..

Any other ideas?

58 minutes ago, Omniking said:

If another phone charges good then you need to look further with the phone. You have a qi charger at home? does that charge you phone well?

My phone charges very good from normal 230V brick. It even uses "fast charging" mode.

So I don't think it is a phone issue.

I tried another phone but not the same model. I don't know if there is any difference in charging between Samsung S21 and Samsung S20 FE..

Hello

It seems that the problem is solved.

I don't know what exactly helped but here's what I did:

1. Restart phone (2 times)

2. Samsung OneUI update

3. Disable remote Android Auto in android app (now my Android Auto works only through USB cable)

Since 2 days everything works fine.

Thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sebad90 said:

Hello

It seems that the problem is solved.

I don't know what exactly helped but here's what I did:

1. Restart phone (2 times)

2. Samsung OneUI update

3. Disable remote Android Auto in android app (now my Android Auto works only through USB cable)

Since 2 days everything works fine.

Thanks!

I thought that it was meant to work remotely (wirelessly) with this system. 🤔 

7 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I thought that it was meant to work remotely (wirelessly) with this system. 🤔 

Nope. I just wanted to use Android Auto and charge my phone in normal speed. Remote android auto was activated by default. 

I dont know what was the cause of the problem but now I have both - android auto works (through the cable connection) and phone charges really quick :)

I dont want to change anything right know. I dont care about remote android auto. For me it can work through cable. It is not a problem for me. 

• 1 year later...

I had same problem. Fast charge disappeared and was replaced with slow charging after few seconds on all usb c connections in my car (front and rear). All solutions above failed but finally I got rid of this problem after doing factory reset of my skoda infotainment. Fast charging is working again 👍