Online Service Plan Question

vadimo

I had my first Oil Change & Inspection Service at Barlow Motors, Crewe for £185 last November, but have just had an email from them offering a 20% discount if I buy one before the 2nd of May. As my car is now over 1 year old, they seem to be offering me 2 services, (one pollen filter and one extended scope) for £364.80 or £15.20 per month.

Buying the next 2 services separately, I would expect to pay around £220 in November 2022 for the Oil Change & Inspection Service + Pollen filter (but excluding the advisory AirCon Service) , and around £244 in November 2023 for the Oil Change & Inspection with Extended Scope. A total of £464 spread over 18 months.

The AirCon service, Brake Fluid Change, and Haldex Oil Change would all be extras presumably either way.

So yes, it's a £100 saving, and you either pay the cost upfront or commit to a regular monthly payment over the next 2 years).

Chris

Edited by CJJE

i think its from Skoda UK so should apply to all dealers..

Only thing is i did not see things listed like spark plugs and oil filter which i though is part of the extended scope

I think the oil filter is changed with the oil, but spark plugs, brake fluid, DSG oil change, air-con service etc are all extras.

11 hours ago, CJJE said:

I think the oil filter is changed with the oil, but spark plugs, brake fluid, DSG oil change, air-con service etc are all extras.

you are right, i called one of the local dealers to clarify

So i made purchase and there is already discrepancy between what is included which is the pollen/air filter

image.thumb.png.032d40bb67578a3cd33fa780fd5fd9d9.png

I looked at the 3 service deal too, but I'll be due for 2 pollen filters and 1 extended scope instead of the 2 extended scopes this provides. So I'm going to go for the 2 service deal. 

The pollen filter is behind the glovebox and filters pollen from the air entering the cabin - great for hay fever sufferers! But the air filter is under the bonnet and filters the air entering the engine. While the pollen filter is due to be changed every 2 years, the air filter is only due for a change every 6 years! 

Chris

Hi Chris, I agree that the change interval for the air filter does seem a little optimistic - I changed mine (very low mileage) at 4 years, and it was, I thought, heavily clogged! I also changed the pollen filter, which had obviously NOT been replaced during the regular, main dealer, services! 

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Chris, I agree that the change interval for the air filter does seem a little optimistic - I changed mine (very low mileage) at 4 years, and it was, I thought, heavily clogged! I also changed the pollen filter, which had obviously NOT been replaced during the regular, main dealer, services! 

Hi Warrior193

Having been brought up to gap sparkplugs every 5000 miles and replace every 10000 - and then deserting petrol engines for diesel for many years - it amazes me that VAG only change sparkplugs every 4 years too. A clogged up air filter will probably hit your fuel consumption, so it's a good idea to check it every few years and replace it earlier if required. I'm assuming it is a paper type which can't be cleaned instead. 

Chris

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CJJE said:

A clogged up air filter will probably hit your fuel consumption, so it's a good idea to check it every few years and replace it earlier if required. I'm assuming it is a paper type which can't be cleaned instead. 

A new air filter (OEM, like Mann or Meyle) typically costs about fifteen quid or so on Amazon. It's a ten-minute job to replace one, or at least it is on a 2.0TSI. Pollen filters come in at less than twenty.

At that price, and when it's that easy, it's daft not to do it every year. I haven't paid a garage to replace an air filter or a pollen filter on anything for yonks. It just doesn't make sense - to me, at any rate - not to do it yourself. I'm sure the air filter doesn't really need changing every year, but nowt beats a bit of inexpensive preventative maintenance.

The pollen filter is only marginally more time-consuming because you need to drop the glovebox down on its hinge pins to access the filter housing, but there's nothing that needs a tool to undo.

I'd possibly consider letting a garage do the filters if I had hands like a bunch of Fyffes or if I routinely spent fifty notes on expensive manicures, but otherwise I'm not going to pay someone a proportion of well over a hundred quid an hour to do such a simple job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul, 

I was just wondering how difficult it was to access the air filter on a Karoq, and if there was a guide somewhere to doing simple jobs like changing filters... But I see Haynes have an online autofix guide which may cover it. 

You may have heard that there is a VAG wide recall for cars with the 2.0TSI engine as the engine cover can come loose, overheat, and then catch fire (details at VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat: More than 111,000 cars at risk of fire - Car-Recalls.eu ) and the temporary cure is just to remove the engine cover until they can find the manufacturing capacity to provide a fireproof replacement. So I imagine this will make it easier to access the air filter!!

Chris

I'll take that last suggestion back as a U-Tube video suggests that the air filter holder is easily accessed anyway. So yes, it's definitely a job to do yourself :)

Chris

Edited by CJJE
More info added

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

Hi Warrior193

Having been brought up to gap sparkplugs every 5000 miles and replace every 10000 - and then deserting petrol engines for diesel for many years - it amazes me that VAG only change sparkplugs every 4 years too. A clogged up air filter will probably hit your fuel consumption, so it's a good idea to check it every few years and replace it earlier if required. I'm assuming it is a paper type which can't be cleaned instead. 

Chris

Assuming the 2.0 uses similar air box to the 1.4 - yes paper (pillow type) filter. You can tap out loose debris, but OEM not expensive, so probably better to just replace it. Important, to remove the top of the air box, you need to remove the cunningly concealed screws from under it! which requires completely removing it from the engine first. 

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

Hi Paul

Hello Chris

It's Pete rather than Paul, but the effrontery will fade at some point.

The small Torx bolts that allow you to get at the filter in a 2.0 are all accessible from the top, and nothing else needs to be removed. The bolts don't need to be removed; just loosened fully.

I don't know about the smaller engine's set up because I haven't got one.

You don't need to touch the engine cover at all. And after that dire warning, I don't think I'd even contemplate standing a mug of tea on it now in case it collapses.

I'm rather ashamed to say that I made a large assumption is saying that it was a ten minute job.

The assumption was that all blokes have access to a basic ratchet and socket set as well as a few Torx bits.

I made this assumption on the same basis that I assume all blokes know how to play French cricket.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phutters said:

Hello Chris

It's Pete rather than Paul, but the effrontery will fade at some point.

The small Torx bolts that allow you to get at the filter in a 2.0 are all accessible from the top, and nothing else needs to be removed. The bolts don't need to be removed; just loosened fully.

I don't know about the smaller engine's set up because I haven't got one.

You don't need to touch the engine cover at all. And after that dire warning, I don't think I'd even contemplate standing a mug of tea on it now in case it collapses.

I'm rather ashamed to say that I made a large assumption is saying that it was a ten minute job.

The assumption was that all blokes have access to a basic ratchet and socket set as well as a few Torx bits.

I made this assumption on the same basis that I assume all blokes know how to play French cricket.

I can tick the box for 1 out of 2  😀

On 01/04/2022 at 13:47, CJJE said:

You may have heard that there is a VAG wide recall for cars with the 2.0TSI engine as the engine cover can come loose, overheat, and then catch fire (details at VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat: More than 111,000 cars at risk of fire - Car-Recalls.eu ) and the temporary cure is just to remove the engine cover until they can find the manufacturing capacity to provide a fireproof replacement.

The DVLA have now issued a recall for this problem, but it now seems that for Skoda it only affects Octavias, Superbs and Kodiaqs and not Karoqs as Skoda themselves stated originally. 

Chris