Infotainment System Switched Off?

I got my new Octavia SEL Estate at the start of January this year. However, the Infotainment System has been completely inoperable since April 2nd.

Trying to change radio stations using Favourites Menu, it changed selected station  preset to the one that was already playing, giving me two of one channel and none of the other! Tried to reset it but it wouldn’t accept the original channel. Screen suddenly went black and then came on with a different menu, i.e. four different screens showing either date or time. Infotainment showing as switched off on main dashboard display and no way to use Infotainment System at all. Home and Menu completely dead.

Phoned up dealers on Monday, thinking maybe there would be some way to reset it but seems not. They were talking about not being able to look at the car until late April. Their solution, leave the car with them for a few days and they “might” find time to look at it but no courtesy car on offer during this time. Ended up talking to ŠKODA directly, they booked my car in to a different dealership for April 21st. Leaving me with a virtually brand new car with no radio or sat navigation for weeks. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

266EB605-AEA7-45F9-803C-36B58519478E.jpeg

64AC9B15-1175-44F1-95FC-0EFE1D79C429.jpeg

FE6673CA-4A6F-4224-8EC1-F05E343C13EF.jpeg

7 hours ago, TechieAli said:

What happens when you press the power button next to the passenger temp? Have you tried resetting by pressing and holding for 10seconds.

Thanks for that, it actually worked! I hadn’t even seen that button before as it’s recessed and virtually invisible. Took me a few minutes to actually find it. Neither ŠKODA or the garage mentioned it when I asked if there was some simple reset button. Zero marks for them!

No idea how it switched itself off as I’ve never touched that button before now. Last button I pressed before it switched off was one of the radio buttons.

This happened to me once…until I realised that I needed to turn the thing on.  The issue was I hadn’t turned it off previously so was puzzled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This happened to me once…until I realised that I needed to turn the thing on.  The issue was I hadn’t turned it off previously so was puzzled. 

It’s not the most intuitive setup to be honest. The on/ off button should ideally be much larger, so that it would actually be noticeable. I don’t get the impression that the dealers really know how the Infotainment System actually works. All I got from them, was that their Master Technician had to see it personally, that and a complete denial of any easy reset. Most electronic devices will return to normal working if you are able to turn them off and then on again. A great example of the KISS Principle! Keep it Simple Stupid 😂 Think of a simple possible solution before you go looking for anything complicated!

Modern electrical multiple unit (EMU) rolling stock regulary throw electrical glitches which delay services and requires a “reboot” for between 4-8 minutes. Normally solves the problem. Takes the same amount of time for our Vitgin TiVo box! 

Sounds like the same sort of issue here with infotainment on Octavia 4s! 

6 hours ago, threadbear said:

Modern electrical multiple unit (EMU) rolling stock regulary throw electrical glitches which delay services and requires a “reboot” for between 4-8 minutes. Normally solves the problem. Takes the same amount of time for our Vitgin TiVo box! 

Sounds like the same sort of issue here with infotainment on Octavia 4s! 

It kind of looks that way! Couldn’t understand how there wasn’t any apparent way to turn it back on, especially when dashboard was displaying message saying Infotainment System Switched Off. Usually things that are switched off can be switched back on again.

Garage I got the car from were adamant that it had to be looked at by their Master Technician and that there absolutely was no other way to turn it back on again…

2 hours ago, AllanDJ said:

Garage I got the car from were adamant that it had to be looked at by their Master Technician and that there absolutely was no other way to turn it back on again…

Sadly that lack of product knowledge seems far too common amongst Skoda dealers 😬

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Sadly that lack of product knowledge seems far too common amongst Skoda dealers 😬

That's pretty much everywhere these days. No one wants to pay enough money to actually get people who are interested/skilled in their job, so those people start their own thing and the official places are garbage. Look at electronics repair for example, all they know is how to replace things, a lot of those "techs" wouldn't even know how to use a multimeter to start diagnosing something. 

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2022 at 17:19, AllanDJ said:

Thanks for that, it actually worked! I hadn’t even seen that button before as it’s recessed and virtually invisible. Took me a few minutes to actually find it. Neither ŠKODA or the garage mentioned it when I asked if there was some simple reset button. Zero marks for them!

No idea how it switched itself off as I’ve never touched that button before now. Last button I pressed before it switched off was one of the radio buttons.

Glad I could help, sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.