Apple CarPlay and Virtual Cockpit question.

I’m wondering what you can display in the VC from apple CarPlay with the Columbus system in the facelift kodiaq? In my Karoq with just the rubbish tft screen it will only display the fact apple CarPlay is active.

But I’ve seen in other cars some people can get navigation information in their digital driver displays from CarPlay or android auto. They can also get song information to display. Or at least claim to.

Does anyone have the new kodiaq with VC and also tried CarPlay to see what the digital display will show, if anything?

Edited by iwb100

• iwb100 changed the title to Apple CarPlay and Virtual Cockpit question.

The virtual cockpit will display song information, and album art when it feels like it (most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't for an unknown reason). It will also display directional arrows when you have a route set on Apple Maps (or, I believe, any other navigation app that's compatible with CarPlay, but I don't use anything other than Apple Maps) - however, there is a minor bug in that it will display a 'bear right' arrow for exiting a dual-carriageway/motorway onto a slip road, instead of a 'bear left' arrow (the CarPlay display shows the correct arrow, so something is being lost in translation).

What it won't display is the maps from CarPlay - the only map you can have on the Virtual Cockpit display is from the built-in nav. So if you use CarPlay for navigation, it's pretty useless having the map view in the cockpit. Apparently, the Audi TT is (or was) the car to get - as there is no central display, CarPlay is displayed directly on the virtual dash...

image.png.5bcc4faba274d04004fae03a52951ebc.pngimage.thumb.png.892f6927facc0d5046df75d27f8661df.png

As far as I'm aware, CarPlay has supported dual-display (so main screen + virtual cockpit) since iOS13. But there are either no cars out there that fully support it, or they are very few and far between (I can't find any concrete evidence of any, but some people suggest the BMW 7 series does?).

Thanks. Yeah it was the song info and arrows I’ve seen in other cars working. Never seen full integration into a digital dash of the maps. I might use the Skoda maps for long journeys. But for more short stuff I use apple maps on CarPlay just because it’s much better traffic information and avoidance. If I can have song info and directions I will be happy enough. 

2 hours ago, MalmbergA said:

do you need the wireless carplay or is it suitable with the wired also?

There's no functional difference between wired and wireless CarPlay - except one charges your battery and one eats it for breakfast.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, iwb100 said:

Can you wireless charge and use wireless CarPlay at the same time or does that melt your phone?

It certainly gets a bit warm... but then I find wireless charging does that regardless of anything else. Definitely better if your phone is already charged and it's just being kept 'topped up'.

I tend not to put it in the charging tray unless it's a long journey - it's not quite as bad at eating the battery as I make out, but it's definitely a noticeable drain (my phone tends to spend most of the daytime sat on its wireless charger as it's somewhere to keep it on my desk while I'm working, so I'm not too worried about short journeys round town).

58 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

There's no functional difference between wired and wireless CarPlay - except one charges your battery and one eats it for breakfast.

Thanks! How do I get the song title to show in the VC when I am using CarPlay? Can´t figure it out...

On 26/04/2022 at 15:38, Yogi-Bear said:

image.thumb.png.f37d3e8615ebc79399b53d0116aaa463.png

Change either the left or right to 'Audio' (or whatever that is in Swedish!).

It didn’t work. Says only Apple Carplay and not which song is playing:/

10 hours ago, MalmbergA said:

It didn’t work. Says only Apple Carplay and not which song is playing:/

That's a bit strange...

I assume your phone is up to date (i.e. latest version of iOS)? Have you tried both wired + wireless? Do you get the same result? Which entertainment unit do you have in your Kodiaq?

And I don't wish to insult your intelligence... but did you actually have a song playing at the time? If not, it does just show the CarPlay logo!

1 hour ago, Yogi-Bear said:

That's a bit strange...

I assume your phone is up to date (i.e. latest version of iOS)? Have you tried both wired + wireless? Do you get the same result? Which entertainment unit do you have in your Kodiaq?

And I don't wish to insult your intelligence... but did you actually have a song playing at the time? If not, it does just show the CarPlay logo!

I´ve got iOS 15.4.1, the latest update. I guess I´ve only got the option with wired in my car. I´ve tried to connect wireless and nothing happens. I´m not sure which ent. unit. Is there some easy way to check it? 

Haha no problem. A song was playing to whole time I tried to change the options for the VC 😀

28 minutes ago, MalmbergA said:

I´m not sure which ent. unit. Is there some easy way to check it?

Does it have a physical volume knob? If so, it's an Amundsen. If not, it's a Columbus.

As for which version... I'm not sure when exactly they switched from MIB2 to MIB3 - but if you can't do wireless CarPlay then I'm guessing MIB2.

Just now, Yogi-Bear said:

Does it have a physical volume knob? If so, it's an Amundsen. If not, it's a Columbus.

As for which version... I'm not sure when exactly they switched from MIB2 to MIB3 - but if you can't do wireless CarPlay then I'm guessing MIB2.

It got 2 knobs, one on each side.
If its a MIB2, is there anything special with that so it's limited with options?

8926723142.thumb.png.7029404b0fc90ec4096f664711c2990a.png

1 minute ago, MalmbergA said:

If its a MIB2, is there anything special with that so it's limited with options?

I think the only limitation is the lack of wireless CarPlay. But I don't know if that's only on the MIB3 Columbus anyway.

Unfortunately, I went from a MIB2 Columbus without VC, to a MIB3 with VC... and I honestly can't remember if I got song information on the maxidot display because it was usually set to something more car related (oh, the days of only having limited information on your dashboard!).

1 minute ago, Yogi-Bear said:

I think the only limitation is the lack of wireless CarPlay. But I don't know if that's only on the MIB3 Columbus anyway.

Unfortunately, I went from a MIB2 Columbus without VC, to a MIB3 with VC... and I honestly can't remember if I got song information on the maxidot display because it was usually set to something more car related (oh, the days of only having limited information on your dashboard!).

Ah okay I see. Thanks for trying to guide och helping me :)

• 1 month later...

Just to add to this we picked up the wife’s new Seat Arona today. The virtual cockpit will show full CarPlay information. Song title and artist, plus artwork. Pretty impressed as I wasn’t expecting that at all. 

50 minutes ago, iwb100 said:

Just to add to this we picked up the wife’s new Seat Arona today. The virtual cockpit will show full CarPlay information. Song title and artist, plus artwork. Pretty impressed as I wasn’t expecting that at all. 

Yep MIB3 cars have support - for whatever reason the Audi MHS2 system (B9 A4 etc) had support since 2016 or something...

• 2 weeks later...

Another virtual cockpit question…can you have the inbuilt navigation maps in your virtual cockpit and on the main infotainment screen at the same time? You can in our new Arona but saw a karoq demo where you can’t have map showing in both at same time. How is it in kodiaq?

On 10/06/2022 at 01:29, kodiaqsportline said:

Yes.

No idea if it is still the case, but it used to be that you could display the maps on both at the same time if they were on a HDD/SSD (Columbus). If your maps were on an SD card (Amundsen), then no.

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread. Apple CarPlay works beautifully with the virtual cockpit in that music and artwork are displayed perfectly.

I would like to ask whether it’s possible to have speed signs displayed in the VC? I have managed to get them on the nav main screen but not in the VC. In our Arona the speeds display on the digital dash but that has the sign reading camera whereas my Kodiaq does not. If you don’t have the camera does that mean the map speeds are main screen only?