Revs, driving and economy

Hi Guys, 

Settling into the vRS now:) but finding the crusing gears/revs/speed ratio etc a little tricky to get perfect. 

Last car was an Audi A4 2.0 tdi but with different ratios i think.

So vRS tdi 2.0 170hp CEGA engine code, what speeds and gears do you guys cruise along in?

So as an example when im on a 30mph road, cant decide to keep it in 3rd and be around 1800-2000 revs but it feels she wants the 4th gear but then 4th gear feels to low down the rev range at 30mph 

What revs do you giys aim to rest at when doing, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 etc

Hope this makes sense 

Kind regards

Fisher

I don’t own a VRS but I can understand your problem more at 30mph. The problem with a diesel is it feels like you are thrashing it holding it in a low gear. 
According to someone who went on a speed awareness course the best way to stick to 30 is in 3rd. The engine certainly holds you back as I have used this method downhill when 40 changes to 30. If I leave in 4th the car keeps picking up speed over 30 without acceleration. That’s a 1.9 TDI. Pretty sure same applies to our Leon 1.2 TSI the 3/4th thing. 

• Like 1

Hi Gav, 

Glad you got what I meant, 3rd holds 30 nice on a hill off the gas, but on a flat road i feel i need 4th, but  this seems to low like 1200 revs, my journey continues, and will find the sweet spot, actually i think i have, 35mph in 3rd gear, feels good, but that's officially speeding.haha

kind regards

fisher

on very light throttle, gears change below 1300 revs, 20 mph 3rd, about 24mph it changes to 4th, at 30 mph its at 4th but if i go 32ish it'll change to 5th and stay at 5th when i'm at 30mph, (annoying at big roundabouts) at 40 its still at 5th but 42ish its at 6th, uphill it usually at 3rd or 4th at 30mph,  but if i'm on a gradual decline at 30/40mph in 5th it shifts into 4th then 3rd then i have to change up manually

On my previous manual diesels they always felt nicer in 4th gear at 30mph when it was flat and 3rd being used if up or downhill or if there's traffic lights etc to slow down for.

Otherwise 3rd on a straight open 30mph road just feels wrong.

On 22/05/2022 at 11:03, roottoot said:

If you were driving a DSG it would be into 4th or maybe 5th anyway.  Just go to higher gears and bumble along keeping to the speed limit and drive what feels right and do not let the engine big down. 

Or even 6th gear in my 7 speed petrol (approx 1,100rpm at 50km/h) at which it feels perfectly happy.

• Like 1

@Phil-Ei did not think it worth mentioning a 7 speed Twin Dry clutch DSG since i was comparing where a 2.0 TDI's DSG would be gear wise to a manual.

Some can be in 7th off throttle with a bit of downhill at 30 mph but then DQ200's come with various engines and models of Skoda.