Odd DSG gearbox behaviour

Hi all,

Before I start - I am booked in for my 3rd DSG service @ 120,000 miles in early June. The car is currently on 119,400 miles with FSH most being done at Skoda and paperwork for both 40 and 80 thousand mile DSG services and I have tried the “DSG reset”.

Over the past 2 weeks I’ve been expecting some strange behaviour what I believe to be down to the DSG box. Mainly in 2nd and 3rd, for example when slowing to make a turn and the car changes down to 2nd gear under deceleration - when I start accelerating after the turn it seems like there’s a 2ish second delay in any power actually getting through. Similar in 3rd gear except it seems like the car doesn’t boost for 2-3 seconds and then after that it’s fine. The changes are a bit sloppy between 2-3-4. 

I guess my question is: do these boxes go a bit slushy leading up to the required mileage of the service, or should I be asking Skoda to investigate during the DSG service? I have no codes, lights, clunks, knocks or anything to indicate a problem anywhere else.

TIA 👍🏼

Edited by Sambrown196

43 minutes ago, SiW80 said:

Is it the same in both modes?

When putting my foot to the floor there is a second or pause but once going it’s fine. 

It’s fine in S and manual mode with the paddles. 

Yes - once it’s on it’s way it’s absolutely fine, but I’ve never noticed such a delay on gentle acceleration after downshifting to 2nd gear in D. 

Im thinking this could be the clutch slipping. The DSG introduce some clutch slip in 2nd and 3rd after slowing down under certain speeds and then applying throttle again.

This is to smooth out the clutch biting rather than just completely closing the clutch and causing a jolt etc.

And you can easily replicate this behaviour and check.

Into D, foot off the brake and let the car creep forward and the display should change to 2nd but if you concentrate on the feel of the car you can tell it's still actually creeping in 1st. Then apply very gentle throttle and it slips the clutch into 2nd and feels like a delay but with a torque boost (relative to the gentle throttle position).

This is normal behaviour even on 7 speed boxes too.

So I’ve had the box serviced today and it’s even worse now. Garage said there is no problem with the box and there are no codes for anything. 

I pulled onto a roundabout from standing and the car changed into 2nd, banged into 3rd and dropped all power - then immediately changed into 4th. Foot to the floor in 2nd there is a 2 second delay in power and then a jolt as it comes back. 5/6th foot to the floor - absolutely nothing happening at all. Seems like flywheel symptoms to me?