Issues with instrument cluster

I have some issues with my instrument cluster. The coolant temperature light is flashing, the window washer low light is on and my fuel gauge reads 0. I also can't seem to scroll through the functions on my trip computer using the stalk. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Thank you

Get it scanned with VAG specific OBD2 programme, or buy a 2nd hand cluster and swap out. Car may not start - unsure on Mk1 if immobiliser is in ECU or cluster -  but would prove if issues are cluster based or somewhere else. This could be a sub £20 option. On my Mk 2 I have had an issue where fuel gauge and outside temp gauge stopped working, plugging a 2nd hand cluster in, that I have since had to code to the ECU and keys, and proved it was a cluster issue with replacement working correctly rather than chasing wires down. 

7 minutes ago, KeithCheetham said:

unsure on Mk1 if immobiliser is in ECU or cluster

It's in the cluster. A replacement would need coding or the car won't start.

Thank you for the advice

I took the cluster out and stripped it down, found several cracked solder joints. I've reflowed them and it seems to be all good.

Now just to fix the other fun quirks it has (noisy starter motor, central locking that likes to lock itself at will etc :D )

• Like 4

So in fixing the solder joints for the big connector, I have managed to break the automatic gear selection screen at the bottom of the cluster. It's connected by a very fragile surface mount ribbon cable so I am not surprised. Anyone have any experience in fixing these?