Rear Indicator solid when brakes are applied

Hiya,

My left rear Indicator is solid when the brakes are applied. Have disconnected the light cluster and reconnected it which made it work correctly again, but then after it was left overnight the same problem reoccurs.

There are no warnings or errors on the dash.

Any pointers on what to do/check? Or is it a case of taking to a garage...

Something like that usually points to water ingress or condensation in the light unit.  Any sign of that? 

If so it may be a case of drying it out and then reconnecting. 

4 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Something like that usually points to water ingress or condensation in the light unit.  Any sign of that? 

If so it may be a case of drying it out and then reconnecting. 

Thanks for the reply - when I disconnected it it seemed completely dry but will make an effort to check again!

Do you mean to say that the rear indicator bulb lights up when you apply the brake when the indicators were not in operation?

If so you have a bad earth and I speculate you may also have a non functioning rear screen washer.

The earth terminal is behind the LH side luggage compartment trim, right under the connector in the washer pump tubing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Do you mean to say that the rear indicator bulb lights up when you apply the brake when the indicators were not in operation?

If so you have a bad earth and I speculate you may also have a non functioning rear screen washer.

The earth terminal is behind the LH side luggage compartment trim, right under the connector in the washer pump tubing.

That is what I mean, yes. The rear wiper works but haven't tried the washer. Off I go to have a look. Cheers.

16 hours ago, adamzap said:

That is what I mean, yes. The rear wiper works but haven't tried the washer. Off I go to have a look. Cheers.

Well the rear wiper and wash both work, and nothing is obviously amiss with the earth connection you mentioned. MOT and service are booked for a couple of weeks from now so will get them to check it out.

Thanks for the pointers