EA888 Gen3B - Tuning options for the 2.0 190PS TSI

On 03/11/2023 at 10:27, EnterName said:

It is possible to get tyres with good grip and low rolling resistance, but you don't get that for free, and ultimately, they won't grip as well as proper  grippy tyres.

I found the OEM Turanza 001 tyres to be surprisingly grippy, given their low rolling resistance.

But then they fell apart after 4 years. :D

The Goodyear Assym 6's I've got now are grippy, but they're sticky, and even slow speed car park driving (10-15mph) gives my car a light pebbled-ash, as bits of grit and whatever are picked up by the tyres and flick off onto the car.

Also, they're not as good in the wet as reviews suggest, and I suspect they will be awful in snowy conditions.

They're good in the dry, mind, but I really want great wet conditions performance, and they're okay, but not quite as good as I'd like.

That said, they are pretty quiet, which I love!

On 01/03/2023 at 08:18, EnterName said:

Thirdly, I am still running the original, albeit slightly disintegrating, Bridgestone Turanza 001 tyres which have a pretty low rolling resistance, and I have inflated them to the economy pressures as specified under the fuel filler flap.

Fourthly, I run my car on Super unleaded (97RON), which helps fuel economy.

Fifthly, when I had my car remapped, I told the tuner I wanted the same or better economy on low throttle demand and about 230PS peak power, which is a fairly modest boost to peak power.

All these factors together give me decent economy, though I'm pretty sure driving economically has the biggest impact. The auto box helps me drive economically IMO, as I can concentrate on light throttle control and don't have to think about the gears at all. However it does call for some restraint and thought, and I'm sure it's not a driving style that would suit most people.

I do enjoy a blast around now and then, but it's not something I do often.

Sixthly, the Gen3B runs on 0W/20 oil, which is thinner than the oil specified for 220 and 230 vRS engines, IIRC. I think the 245 has 0W/20 specified for it, though.

All these little factors add up to help MPG.

I'm getting 38-39MPG on regular unleaded, measured via same pump cut-off and trip mileage, so after a couple of refills, I'm going back to super unleaded.

As far as I'm concerned, the benefits of 97+RON outweigh the possible saving in cost, and I'm not convinced there's a cost saving to be had.

As fuel increases in price, the 10p difference in price between the two fuels (where I buy mine) will make any cost saving even less significant.

Oh well, it was worth a try, and now I know.

Of course now I have to do a similar check for Super unleaded, as my car was reading a little over 40mpg over the test period, having reset the long-term MPG.

So as some of you have suggested, the in car figures really aren't worth a lot.

Now I know that, too.

• Thanks 1