Getting best mpg

Hi 

Can you share your tips to improve better mpg with a turbo petrol 1.0 DSG engine. 

I read that doing to pulse and glid method is 1 of the best ways to save on mpg where you accelerate as fast as you can you the sweet spot of 50-60mph then maintain the speed. 

Has anyone tried this method and does accelerating fast work on a turbo engine as putting your foot down activates the turbo feature and wastes more fuel right? 

James 

Edited by jamos316

Try every way which way you can yourself in a 1.0 TSI DSG without Coasting mode.

I would not worry about getting the turbo spinning and the car producing the power it was designed to efficiently. 

Hypermiling comes naturally to some, and needs worked at for others, and then location, location, location and weather and load in the car all makes a big difference.

https://hypermiler.co.uk/hypermiling/hypermiling-techniques

2 hours ago, jamos316 said:

Can you share your tips to improve better mpg with a turbo petrol 1.0 DSG engine.

Yes and No.

No because I've never driven that specific engine.

Yes in that I have techniques that work with every engine:-

1. Use "acceleration sense", by which we mean only accelerating hard enough to keep up with traffic, and approaching definite stops or slows on a closed throttle from a distance out. Keep revs between the lowest where the engine runs smoothly given the load on board and peak torque.
  2. Cruise in the highest gear consistent with the engine running smoothly at your road speed.
  3. Avoid harsh braking.
  • Like 2

The 1.0tsi engine is a good economical unit to start with, the Fabia is relatively light and the only downside is that its aerodynamics are ok but not great so higher speeds have a noticeable adverse effect on consumption.

With only three small cylinders for lower friction, and direct fuel injection which reduces pumping losses of a throttle based engine at small openings.

You can see this for yourself if you have the 'instant' consumption display showing during stationary idle (stop/start turned off) and it will only be showing 0.5L/hour consumption, maybe even less, which is very good.

'Pulse and glide' is actually repeatedly accelerating up to a given speed and then coasting to a lower speed and then reaccelerating/coasting. Extreme US hypermilers  even have a kill switch on the engine during the coasting phase. Really not recommended practice on public roads with other traffic around.

You can replicate this to a certain extent with the dsg auto in eco mode if it has the coast mode ( the engine ticks over) although you are far better off just following @KenONeill's recommendations.

Some time back I had a loan Fabia 1.0tsi manual for a week and was very impressed by its economical operation despite the fact we were experiencing 40+ C temperatures so the air conditioner was working flat out all the time.

Out of curiosity on a dead flat empty road I switched off the aircon and held 60kph in top gear on a minimal throttle and the instant display averaged 3.1L.100. It was too hot to muck about like that though and the aircon was turned on again. Still impressive though.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 3

You do not need to.

It is a 7 speed DQ200 DSG with no 'Coasting' function and to get the emission figures they did the car gets up to a higher gear quick enough and stays up there.

Just drive gently and the car will do fine, stay off the brakes and look ahead and maintain speed. Watch the rev counter if you must. 

If you can maintain speed with your toe light on the accelerator then you will be doing fine.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

I try to use adaptive cruise control wherever possible, is this the correct thing to do when trying to get more mpg or should I stick with using the foot always? 

What I normally do is get upto the speed limit as fast as possible then set the acc to that speed 

Try trips you do regularly with ACC and without and compare the displayed fuel average.  I have never driven a car with CC or now with ACC that did not use more fuel.  That is because it maintains speed and is not lifting off as you might into corners, as you crest a slope and then go down hill.    There are cars and especially EV,s that the GPS does reduce power to match the road and that does work. Works on newer VW group mode look as, plug ins etc. 

• Like 1

In my experience you can get better consumption in a manual than auto (DSG) and most times better than cruise control although it depends on the driver and road conditions.

The DSG is an efficient box so differences are very small on the open road, less so in town.

The problem with ACC is that your consumption will only be as good as the car in front allows. On a clear highway on the flat then it is as good as you are, probably better.

I would not accelerate as 'fast as you can'  for best economy but yes you want to be fairly positive to get into a high gear as soon as practical for the conditions.

• Like 1

One problem with using cruise and trying to get maximum economy is it will always try to maintain commanded speed - which in rolling country means it will back-off on downslopes, then throttle-up as soon as it senses a speed drop on the upslope. Depending on the gradient, ACC might even start braking on the downslope.

Using  'smart' right foot and Mk.1 eyeball, you would allow the speed to creep up (within reason) on the downslopes - then allow the speed to bleed off a little on the upslopes. 

Edited by Warrior193
Typo
  • Like 2