Error: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

Hi all

2017 Octavia VRS. I started getting this error up occassionally about 3 months ago, recently its on everytime I turn the car on, then disappears but the orange warning triangle is always on the dashboard. I see from other threads its the gear selector sensor and needs the whole mechanism replacing.

It sometimes clears the triangle by stopping and running the stick up to park, down to drive then back up to park and down to drive a few times, but more often than not its always on. Ive had a quote of over £1200 to replace which is eye watering. Question I have is does it actually needs doing, the sensor may be faulty, but the car always knows what gear it is in on the dashboard and runs fine..will it just one day pack in??

Ive fell out with the local Skoda dealer so dont really want to take it there and have any discussions on a contribution to the fix.

Any help or advice appreciated...

11 minutes ago, lway said:

Hi thanks for the response, Ive read that thread before, but it doesnt conclude whether it actually needs fixing or not (obviously needs fixing, but not sure whether it will affect the running of the car eventually). All I can see from that thread and others is that the error comes up as the car sometimes cannot tell if the vehicle is in position P or not, so in theory it could be left in N and you could pull the key out and the car would roll away - its a safety issue that was identified and recalled by VAG in USA..other than that it doesnt seem to be an 'issue' as such or a failure of the gearbox...but I dont know that for certain so was looking for some assurance (trying to avoid spending stupid money on a fault that is an annoying message but nothing more).

Seems odd Skoda/VW isnt recalling them worldwide if they have identified it as a safety issue in USA...

There should be a repair kit available which is much, much cheaper. But otherwise, I don't think that fault is a problem in itself it depends if it could lead to any other related faults that leave you in the lurch...Seems unlikely if it has not done so as yet.. Review some other threads as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, c_heesypease said:

That is what I believe to be the case. That American lot can't be trusted to pulling on the handbrake or putting their car in park hence VW USA initiating recall non urgent rectification works or whatever. USA is a litigious environment!

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

There are a few other possibilities but 90% it is the microswitches at fault.  The part numbers maybe superceded... 

Edit. There are also 2 versions of repair kit if memory serves me correctly. It may not though!!!!@

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/36772-dsg-fault-experience/

If you have to pay, it might be worth investigating the (much) cheaper fix that VW USA developed to fix the problem.  IIRC it adds a new piggy-back microswitch to replace the function of the faulty one that is part of the DSG gear lever.  Have a look at the US recall code 37M2 for more details on what it is and how it works.  IIRC I found it by googling the part number 5Q0713128A . 

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

I had the microswitch (5Q0713128A) replaced on my Golf at the local VW dealer for £120 - warranty company paid the bill.

If your not happy using the main dealer, try Vasstech at Thornaby, I've used their Durham branch and they were spot on.

• Like 1

This happens occasionally in my 2016 Octavia. As far as I can see, it’s nothing more than an annoyance to those of us in the UK - sometimes the gear-lever stops receiving the engine-switched-on message during use and alerts the driver via the dashboard message. That’s all.

It could theoretically allow the engine to be started with the lever in a position other than P or N; hence the USA recall. This would only happen if the error happened to be occurring at the exact time the engine was last switched off, AND it was still occurring when the engine was next started, AND the driver hadn’t put the lever in P when they parked, AND the handbrake wasn’t fully applied.

• Like 1

On 11/06/2022 at 15:55, geordiebloke said:

I had the microswitch (5Q0713128A) replaced on my Golf at the local VW dealer for £120 - warranty company paid the bill.

If your not happy using the main dealer, try Vasstech at Thornaby, I've used their Durham branch and they were spot on.

Thanks, ive googled that part and taken a screen shot. It was Vastech in Thornaby I took it to that gave me the £1200 quote. I've been in today and showed them this part and asked them if they can take a look and advise if this will sort my issue for much less, maybe they hadnt realised there was a work around fix that has been released..waiting for the call back with a quote hopefully, fingers crossed!

On 12/06/2022 at 16:11, sir56alot said:

This happens occasionally in my 2016 Octavia. As far as I can see, it’s nothing more than an annoyance to those of us in the UK - sometimes the gear-lever stops receiving the engine-switched-on message during use and alerts the driver via the dashboard message. That’s all.

It could theoretically allow the engine to be started with the lever in a position other than P or N; hence the USA recall. This would only happen if the error happened to be occurring at the exact time the engine was last switched off, AND it was still occurring when the engine was next started, AND the driver hadn’t put the lever in P when they parked, AND the handbrake wasn’t fully applied.

yup thats what mine does now as the warning light is always on. I can pull the key out when the stick is in any position, also start the car when it is in any position - which is just the same as it would be for a manual box in reality, you can leave one of those in gear..so I dont see the point in the annoying bings and bongs and warning lights each time i get in, get out, open the boot etc..its also started doing it as Im driving along now, which is a new development this week.

46 minutes ago, c_heesypease said:

Thanks, ive googled that part and taken a screen shot. It was Vastech in Thornaby I took it to that gave me the £1200 quote. I've been in today and showed them this part and asked them if they can take a look and advise if this will sort my issue for much less, maybe they hadnt realised there was a work around fix that has been released..waiting for the call back with a quote hopefully, fingers crossed!

If I remember correctly the part was about £35 and I was told they fitted it in from the top by piggy backing the old switch. I was also told the same whilst chatting to one of the techies at our Skoda dealer when our Superb was in for service. I did manage to find a PDF of the procedure for a golf, just to get an idea what was involved but I had extended warranty so left it to VW but it doesn't look a difficult job. I've attached it for you to have a look

RCRIT-19V615-0044.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2022 at 16:16, geordiebloke said:

If I remember correctly the part was about £35 and I was told they fitted it in from the top by piggy backing the old switch. I was also told the same whilst chatting to one of the techies at our Skoda dealer when our Superb was in for service. I did manage to find a PDF of the procedure for a golf, just to get an idea what was involved but I had extended warranty so left it to VW but it doesn't look a difficult job. I've attached it for you to have a look

RCRIT-19V615-0044.pdf 2.82 MB · 8 downloads

Thanks for your help (everyone), I had that part fitted today, much cheaper than the original quote (by £1000)! They just needed to take a quick look before ordering it as seems there is two types of gearbox, one the workaround works on and another it doesnt, thankfully mine was one that it worked in.