iV 93O5 Recall high voltage battery insulating mat

Hi all,

I’ve just had a letter from LEX with a recall for my iV. 

It sounds pretty serious but then says no danger in “regular driving”. 🤔 what’s irregular driving? 😂

“In the event of a short circuit in the high-voltage system, the fuse blows and interrupts the current flow as intended but it could burst. As a result there is the possibility of a voltage flashover into the vehicle interior. This creates a fire hazard and possible risk of injury to the vehicle occupants”. 

It reads like they will add a second protective mat during the recall works. 

just wondered if anyone else has had this yet and if you’ve been able to get the work done?

I contacted the local high voltage service centre and I’m on a waiting list I believe. 

• Like 1

I guess they have enough product data to show that a HV system fuse blowing is a rare event in the first instance?

If it happened when you were driving I'm sure the bang would be enough to get you out of the car anyway!

• Haha 1

Time will tell.

Like when DQ200's were in a Global Recall excluding Europe where it was not a Safety Issue because when you lost drive you could roll the the road side.

Australia is now on the 3rd recall due to all those that were missed at previous Service Campaigns and Recalls.

This is at least a full RECALL in Europe and a 'Safety matter'.  

A bit slow in actions being taken but then you can trust VW, after all they are not Vauxhall, Mercedes, BMW or other European based manufacturers that drag things out. 

Like with the 1.5 TSI kangerooing issue that had owners / drivers vehicles in dealerships for weeks while their cars awaited software updates.

There was no issue, and then VW Group were not ready for the WLTP  & RDE 2 and had to get Certification to be able to get the cars turned out so they were fine for the tests just not for on the road.  Tweak the software and if the car runs like crap then not all will complain. 

Say never heard of that, then it is a characteristic, they all do that, (except those that do not.) but important is first deny any issue for months.

Just as has happened with The IT Software more recently. they turn out the vehicles and bring in the money and they might eventually see that the cars are fit for purpose. 

That is the VW way.

This fundamental Design or Manufacturing / material failing will be resolved as cheaply as they can get away with in Europe and in other world regions where they can get a new one torn in court of by the authorities they will get a shift on. 

Edited by roottoot

• 5 weeks later...

So i've just received the same letter via Leaseplan namely, my vehicle is subject to recall 93O5

Speaking to a nice girl in the local Skoda garage in West Midlands, its not a job that can be done by any local dealership, it has to go to 1 of 2 (yep you read that right !), only 1 of 2 facilities in the UK, either Southgate (North London) or Cambridge !!!!!!!!!

WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🤯🤯🤯

So my car has just been booked in for the next available slot.........January 2023 !!!!!!!!

:rofl:

What an absolute shambles of a company

Rather than train the local garages they do nothing and just sit customers in a massive queue and sitting on a potential risk to what could be life threatening by the sounds of it for anyone inside the car !!!!

To Mr Andrew Ganney (Skoda UK Aftersales).......i trust you don't drive your own Skoda "tat" ????

• Haha 1

On 11/06/2022 at 14:48, Patent said:

@roottoot via lex. Interestingly they advise the repair time is 6 hours!

I can imagine the appetite for a the dealer to have that taking up the ramp for 6 hours is slim to nil. I'm going wait and get it done with the next service.

roottoot.....unfortunately you wont be able to unless you local dealership is either Southgate (North London) or Cambridge

I've been told that they are the only 2 garages who can do the 93O5 fix !

what a joke