Thoughts on this Superb 280?

Anyone kind enough to give me their thoughts on this Superb?

Been in the market for one of these (or a nice Octavia VRS) for a while, and there isn't much about currently in the price bracket that I want to spend - and I have found this one.  Digital display is one of the massive pulling points for me, I really want this as an option in what ever I go for if i can, the heated and electric seats are a bonus.  No CANTON sound system which is a shame, but i can always get someone to fit an aftermarket sub/amp for me if needs be.  Sunroof i can take or leave, but a nice option. 

So yeah, thoughts?

https://www.dalesautomotive.co.uk/used-skoda-superb-kelbrook-lancashire-4269544

Nice. You will not miss it in a car park.

First thing then is the Full Service History.

Is that a History of Serviced at Main Dealers or anyplace to the Manufacturers Service Recommendations or even Schedule.

So the Haldex was done at 30,000 miles / 3 years and the DSG at 40,000 miles.

Spark Plugs been replaced? 

The Brake fluid maybe done at 3 years or now 5 years. 

Re RAC 6 Month Warranty.  Check T&C's, for what you get, and what if you extend that.

Check just what the Max Claim on that actually is. 

Edited by roottoot

Lovely colour!  Outside looks immuculate however the driver seat bolster is starting to look tired and the boot has been well used by the looks of the scuff marks.

This a few extra's for a Sportline by the looks of it, bonus!

- Heated Windscreen

- Sunroof

Overall seems like a good example.  If you go for it then make sure they change the waterpump and thermostat housing as thats is a common failure.

Edited by Awesam

5 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Nice. You will not miss it in a car park.

First thing then is the Full Service History.

Is that a History of Serviced at Main Dealers or anyplace to the Manufacturers Service Recommendations or even Schedule.

So the Haldex was done at 30,000 miles / 3 years and the DSG at 40,000 miles.

Spark Plugs been replaced? 

The Brake fluid maybe done at 3 years or now 5 years. 

i have asked for the service history and what has/hasn't been done so have asked to check this.

What is the Haldex service? is that the 4 wheel drive one?

if neither of the Haldex or the DSG service has been done, what am i looking at, roughly, to get them both done?

Haldex £100 plus, done properly. Not the Skoda Main Dealership way.

DSG £215 or so at a Skoda Main Dealer.

The point is the RAC Warranty.  The Service items are overdue if not done.  But then they are giving a Warranty.

I traded in a car with a RAC Approved Dealership.  Sight Unseen. 

FSH. Certainly not main dealer and certainly not to Manufacturers recommendations. It was better than to the Skoda Recommendations.

They had it advertised for sale after hours the night it was dropped off and with the RAC Warranty and 91 point inspection which was not yet done.

But that is how things can be with Used Cars. 

EDIT.

Just posted in my first post by mistake.

PS

RAC 6 month warranty.

Check T&C's on that. Max limit of a claim in £££'s.  & what is the deal if you go for longer than 6 months cover. 

The last car i bought with the RAC Warranty and free recovery took me days to sort out because the Traders staff messed up.

I did get the £100 cheque and a Free Holiday offer if i had wanted to pay to get a Free Holiday.

Edited by roottoot

tbh - a lot of after market warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on, so i hadn't even given a second thought to the RAC warranty.

I am more interested to see if it has been serviced well in previous ownership.

I also need to find someone my way (South East Kent) who can undertake the Haldex service properly (i would bet my left nut it hasn't been done with this car, so will need doing)

• Like 2

ok, so update.

was an ex demo car then sold to a chap in 2018 and he's just chopped it in.

first service was done at 7k miles (just under 12 months old).

second service was done at 33k miles 

and that is it.  there has been nothing done from 33k (or at least documented).

The garage where it is now have said they will do anything that needs doing to it before they sell the car - so they are going to give it a Haldex and DSG service, spark plugs, pollen filter, brake fluid etc if it needs doing and then provide an invoice of this as proof (because he said the service stuff is done electronically now).  So IF they do all that then at least it is a bit of peace of mind from my end and that it shouldn't need anything major doing straight away.

all 4 wheels have been refurbed he tells me.

he is in the middle of making a detailed video of the car for me and will send it over so i can check it all.  Luckily they deal with a lot of Subaru's and so have all the gear for 4 wheel drive cars and alignment etc and so at least they have a bit of knowledge of 4x4 before they undertake the haldex service.

• Like 1

EDIT.

You posted as i typed. Sorry.

As long as you get a print out of what is on the Skoda System for Servicing, Service Campaigns or Recalls in the first year and since.

Then any other records that the Dealer managed to get on a car they took in. 

The likes of the DSG & Haldex are things you can have done, or when you get the car you have time to find out if all is well with. 

Even just Consumers Rights is OK for the first months and then the RAC Warranty can pay out, but if the limit will not cover a DSG replacement then that is not great.

Edited by roottoot

My niece bought this A1 the other week.

She thought it looked great, FSH etc, then they screwed down on her trade in because not a FSH.  

I went and looked at the car she was buying and told them your FSH is not the Servicing the car should have done though.

She has the car, so far so good. 

The extra Paint Protection she paid was a rip off, badly done, and stupid on a 6 year old car that she thought was 5 years old,

but just as well she took a years warranty.

DSCN1379.JPG.07b2ce1f0cced8ec5c13e75730e089f7.jpeg

DSCN1380.JPG.a5062078855761b457b0cde151f56db1.jpeg

Any Skoda main dealer or Skoda UK Customer services can send / show what is on the system but likely you have it all.

A Fixed Service / Vehicle Health Check @ the 7 months.

If on Variable servicing then the next should have been 18,000-20,000 miles / 24 months later, so 27,000 miles.  not 33,000. 

If they do the Haldex now, and the DSG, plugs, pollen filter and brake fluid then good.

It had a broken spring early on at a MOT, and a bad tyre.

If the brakes are good, the tyres. the Windscreen then the car could be fine. Cheaper than a Skoda Approved Used car that never got much servicing.

The guy has sent a video through now - looks in great condition, but there are a number of stone chips on the front bumper from what he assumes is a lot of motorway use - and a couple on the bonnet too. Nothing too major.

He said the wheels have been refurbed, yet 2 of them have a scuff at the top still.  Something about a lip that rubs round the outside and is difficult to upkeep when re-diamond cutting the wheels.  So the chips/marks have been touched in (not very well tbh).

Discs and pads have already been replaced all round as seen in the video.

• Like 1

The MOT was in March.

Arnold Clark sold me a car that had failed on a broken spring but had a new spring fitted and it did have one when i got the car.

Also new discs.

Service & MOT 3,000 miles / 12 months later  as part of a 2 year Service & MOT plan and i drop off the car and 30 minutes later a phone call there is a broken spring.

The brakes were binding and they said a brake fluid change was overdue. 

15 minutes i am back up there and the springs are off and in a skip and they can not show me them.

They were not happy with my Trust Pilot entry, or on the AC Reviews, or me not paying the barstewards. 

I was annoyed that the bucket of rust i traded in made them good money at auction and then sold twice more at dealers and i got the speeding tickets and the NIP for not changing ownership.

Odd as i kept my personal plate and others paid for VED on it as it was on Disabled class and needed changed. 

1 hour ago, sheriffwoody said:

here are a number of stone chips on the front bumper from what he assumes is a lot of motorway use - and a couple on the bonnet too.

Road rash on the windscreen as well at that rate?

• Like 1

The Windscreen might have been replaced, and maybe more than once.  

That is something that needs checking with any used vehicle, demonstrator or even a brand new car.

Is there any sign of badly fitted, are the functions of stuff that need calibrated working. 

Especially if done by someone with maybe none of the proper gear and little idea. 

My windscreens are always a mess even when almost new & horrible in bright sunlight, not from stone chips driving but because i am parked less than 1/4 of a mile from a quarry and the sharp sand sometimes blows towards the screen.  

Nice!

50k miles means it's likely to be coming up towards some bills, specifically the cambelt should have been changed at 50K.

Likewise the gearbox oil change should have been changed at 40K, with a Haldex service coming up at 60K, but I'd suggest negotiating that to be done as part of the sale.

So check the £700 worth of cambelt & DSG servicing has been done, get the Haldex done, and I think you've got a good deal. (Assuming there are no horrors lurking in the car's history.) 👍

28 minutes ago, sheriffwoody said:

Can anyone tell me if this version of the superb has isofix points in the front seats? Or are they just in the rear?

thanks 

Just in the rear, but front was an optional extra so could be retrofitted - its not terribly expensive either.

8 hours ago, sheriffwoody said:

i thought these were chain driven and not cambelt?

the 2.0 tsi is chain driven so no belt is needed.

Edited by ApertureS
  • Like 1

@sheriffwoody  I spotted the RAC Warranty and 6 months when reading the link you posted at the start of the thread.

This is why i prattled on about RAC Warranties.

Read the T&C's of the RAC Warranty, and exclusions. & max claim. 

Get the RAC Approved Dealership to send the details.

http://wilsons.co.uk/your-guide-to-rac-platinum-warranty

http://rac.co.uk/car-care/car-warranty

Buying a Skoda Extended Warranty can be a waste of money after the 6 months if the car was not Serviced to the Manufacturers Guidelines.

eg.

DSG not serviced at 40,000 miles or Haldex @ 30,000 / 3 years.  Not that this stops a Skoda Approved Used car getting a 1 or 2 yearv warranty when they are selling one.

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 11.50.20.jpg

Edited by roottoot