Is this the factory fitted towbar?

Might seem a daft question, but I only bought the car from Cazoo today. (Couldn’t find the spec I wanted anywhere else.) Was advertised as having a fixed towbar and was looking into replacing it with a detachable one as I only need it very occasionally for bike rack. The more research I did the more I thought maybe it’s the retractable factory one and it’s just not retracting. Nothing happens when I pull the bit up in the boot. 

can anyone confirm if it is the retractable one and any ideas why it’s not moving and tips to get it fixed?

Thanks

D200A00F-5B20-4388-9E40-D42D4BCEA3B0.jpeg

F56D1867-8D32-4E33-9221-880D331D1BD9.jpeg

156D1072-39FA-4E2C-944F-C205487E8FB5.jpeg

Hi, welcome to the forum,  Yes, that is the factory fitted tow bar, there is a video in the Skoda Superb Guides on this forum. Pull the lever  in the boot up and the tow bar drops down. You need to manually move it into the locked position and again retraction is the reverse operation of pulling the lever up which releases the lock and you manually push it up into the rear bumper. The green light will light up when it is locked (either in the stored or towing position) if the red light flashes it means that the tow bar in NOT locked.

Edited by coppertop
additional info

If it's not used a lot then it can get stuck rather than dropping down. When that happens I spray some white grease on the joint and wiggle it up and down a bit.

Edited by unclerichy
Premature submission
  • Like 1

Yeah definitely the factory fitted integrated tow bar. The handle in the boot is there to release the lock whether in the out or in position. Green light to let you know its locked. Comes with a few other features when plugged in like pdc disable, abs stability control, alarm goes off if disconnected when locked. 

Hah, well done @StewA - I had my beady eye on that car as the spec seemed perfect to me but someone (you!) nipped in ahead of me!

Hope you really enjoy it - I've ended up paying a lot more for a newer one and it doesn't have the tow bar so will have to shell out for that fairly soon! 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2022 at 21:37, ApertureS said:

Comes with a few other features when plugged in like pdc disable, abs stability control, alarm goes off if disconnected when locked.

True! When trailer is plugged, it also disables:

- Rear fog lights

- Blind spot detection

- Rear Trafic Assist

and enables:

- Anti-sway mode on ESP

- Trailer assist to ease parking maneuvers

I may forget some other special features related to OEM Tow bar. ;) 

7 hours ago, Bap33 said:

True! When trailer is plugged, it also disables:

- Rear fog lights

- Blind spot detection

- Rear Trafic Assist

and enables:

- Anti-sway mode on ESP

- Trailer assist to ease parking maneuvers

I may forget some other special features related to OEM Tow bar. ;) 

Electronic tailgate is disabled ;) 

• Like 1

Was delighted to find this extra on my one.. Great for the bikes.

Only annoying thing is the handle disconnects from cable all the time so I’ve to gently fix it every time