Has anyone worked out how to disable remote boot opening?

1)  Stop wearing so tight trousers :)

2)  Put key fob in a Faraday pouch when at home

3)  As above, on second Kodiaq, not a problem I’ve had so can’t make useful comments on disabling remote boot opening.

I definitely had this problem, almost always when I was trying to wrestle my daughter into her car seat. It was pretty annoying, as I had to park with the car backed up against a wall at the time, so accidental boot openings were not a good thing. I used Carista to disable it. I had to sign up for the one month free trial, but then it was a 'one click' kind of thing - no knowledge or skill required 😁. Haven't missed the ability in the slightest since I disabled it. 

Edited by Teir
Typo

7 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Why would I ever want to open the boot when I'm nowhere near the car?

But it's not nowhere near, is it? You do have to be near it...

Couple of use cases for me: first is car key in hand, together with shopping bags - can have the boot open just as I get to the car, which is very helpful; second is when I send the kids out to the drive to put empty shopping bags back into the boot - I can open the boot without giving them the key, and all they have to do is press the button on the boot to close it and I know it'll be locked.

Score one for laziness, but also for convenience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Yogi-Bear said:

But it's not nowhere near, is it? You do have to be near it...

Couple of use cases for me: first is car key in hand, together with shopping bags - can have the boot open just as I get to the car, which is very helpful; second is when I send the kids out to the drive to put empty shopping bags back into the boot - I can open the boot without giving them the key, and all they have to do is press the button on the boot to close it and I know it'll be locked.

Score one for laziness, but also for convenience.

Eh?  It's just normal remote opening so you can be some distance away. I've had my boot open unintentionally whilst I've been in the kitchen. Hadn't used the car all day, all I did was move the keys and it was my neighbour who chapped on the door later that night to tell me did I know my boot was open.   If it could only work when you were next to the car then great.

"all they have to do is press the button on the boot to close it and I know it'll be locked."

But that's the problem, you don't know it's locked. It takes 5mins for your key to go in to sleep mode so we're back to square one. How do you know you haven't accidentally pressed one of the buttons? 

26 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Eh?  It's just normal remote opening so you can be some distance away. I've had my boot open unintentionally whilst I've been in the kitchen. Hadn't used the car all day, all I did was move the keys and it was my neighbour who chapped on the door later that night to tell me did I know my boot was open.   If it could only work when you were next to the car then great.

"all they have to do is press the button on the boot to close it and I know it'll be locked."

But that's the problem, you don't know it's locked. It takes 5mins for your key to go in to sleep mode so we're back to square one. How do you know you haven't accidentally pressed one of the buttons? 

I can lock /unlock my Kodiaq from some distance away,  but the boot only opens when quite close as implied in the poor translation owners manual.

My previous Kodiaq was the same.

16ED5F1A-BF87-48B3-9F79-1DD3135F47BB.jpeg

Edited by Kenny R

30 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

It's just normal remote opening so you can be some distance away.

From my experience, about 20m at most. Less when there are walls in the way, or if you're in front of the car. Certainly doesn't work from the same distance as the lock/unlock buttons, as @Kenny R says (and I've got them to work at least 30-40m away), but it does work at a much greater distance than the 2m that page in the manual says.

31 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

How do you know you haven't accidentally pressed one of the buttons? 

Because I've put the key away by the time they're done and pressing the button to close the boot, so I know damn well I'm not going to have pressed a key after that.

I have had this issue on our Karoq. The issue is that the button on the key will open the boot from quite a distance, about 30 metres. The key needs to be much, much closer to close the boot. This is probably to ensure that there is no danger of anyone being hurt by the closing boot lid.

On 22/07/2022 at 22:45, Teir said:

I used Carista to disable it. I had to sign up for the one month free trial, but then it was a 'one click' kind of thing - no knowledge or skill required 😁.

Carista looks interesting, especially for the throttle response setting. I find the gearbox/throttle beyond bonkers sometimes with its reluctance to drop a gear and its tendency to suddenly lurch when it finally decides to drop a gear (late). Do you or does anyone else have experience in using the app to customise the settings listed on their website?

Are there better apps to use?

(Apologies to the OP for slightly highjacking the thread)

On 25/07/2022 at 09:21, simonharper said:

Carista looks interesting, especially for the throttle response setting. I find the gearbox/throttle beyond bonkers sometimes with its reluctance to drop a gear and its tendency to suddenly lurch when it finally decides to drop a gear (late). Do you or does anyone else have experience in using the app to customise the settings listed on their website?

I've read very variable reports of the effectiveness of those settings - probably best to just give it a go and see if you can notice a difference. I haven't tried them personally - I bought a pedal box during my first week of ownership and haven't been bothered by the throttle response since. 

10 minutes ago, Teir said:

I've read very variable reports of the effectiveness of those settings - probably best to just give it a go and see if you can notice a difference. I haven't tried them personally - I bought a pedal box during my first week of ownership and haven't been bothered by the throttle response since. 

Thanks Teir, which peddle box did you fit? Was it easy to fit and do you remove it before any dealer visits for servicing etc?

20 minutes ago, simonharper said:

Thanks Teir, which peddle box did you fit? Was it easy to fit and do you remove it before any dealer visits for servicing etc?

I have the Racechip XLR. Yes, quick and easy to fit - plug and play. I don't remove it for services, but I also don't have the controller connected to it, so it's very unobtrusive. I have never found the need to change the settings from what I initially set it to, so no need to have the controller permanently attached. I didn't pay extra for the Bluetooth version for the same reason.

I would probably still remove the unit completely if I was asking for any warranty work to be done.  

Edit: I see that it's currently on sale until the 15th August, making it cheaper than I paid for it 2 years ago... 🙄

Edited by Teir

On 05/08/2022 at 10:38, Teir said:

I have the Racechip XLR. Yes, quick and easy to fit - plug and play. I don't remove it for services, but I also don't have the controller connected to it, so it's very unobtrusive. I have never found the need to change the settings from what I initially set it to, so no need to have the controller permanently attached. I didn't pay extra for the Bluetooth version for the same reason.

I would probably still remove the unit completely if I was asking for any warranty work to be done.  

Edit: I see that it's currently on sale until the 15th August, making it cheaper than I paid for it 2 years ago... 🙄

Many thanks, will check it out 👍

Zapped the boot open from about 40m.

Can pop it from anywhere inside house. Handy when loading up with luggage with boot 3 steps from front door.

But I’d say it can’t open “accidentally” from afar.

When washing car I sometimes have doors locking and unlocking as I crouch around the sides and have had the boot lid start closing when I got my foot unintentionally under the bumper while messing around at the rear of the car.

Edited by BoxerBoy