Buying advice for an Octavia III this summer...

Hi,

At some point this summer I need to buy a new car and I'm leaning towards an Octavia III Estate.
I'd probably prefer a diesel (1.6TDI?) as I currently do about 10k miles/year - this may increase depending on job situation - and I'm not fussy about whether it's auto or manual (are the auto 'boxes ok?)... but I've got absolutley no idea of what I'd get for my money in the current, rather silly, used car market.

Have I got any chance of getting one that isn't totally shot for, say, £5k? What should I be looking for in terms of age/mileage? What are the trim levels?
I previously had an 08 Octavia 4x4 1.9TDI and currently running an 07 A4 which is costing me a bomb so I need something that's a real step up in reliability and will last!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

id go for one that has full service history and that is in good condition. Look for decent brands of tyre`s and an interior that has been well looked after. I have a 1.6TDI 110ps 5 speed manual. It have now done 62k on a 66 reg and do a similar mileage to you. The car has been extremely reliable only requiring a fuel pressure sensor at 36K. 

The only real downside of the 1.6TDi 5speed manual is that it is a bit noisy at time and could do with an another cog! But it bumbles along quite nicely at motorway speeds returning 60+ mpg. 

Should be a few around in your budget but maybe be a bit leggy so condition and fsh is key really. SE and above has climate which is a bonus! 

Had a quick look on Autotrader and your budget is in mostly mk2 money right now....certainly in my area. 

Edited by threadbear
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, threadbear said:

id go for one that has full service history and that is in good condition. Look for decent brands of tyre`s and an interior that has been well looked after. I have a 1.6TDI 110ps 5 speed manual. It have now done 62k on a 66 reg and do a similar mileage to you. The car has been extremely reliable only requiring a fuel pressure sensor at 36K. 

The only real downside of the 1.6TDi 5speed manual is that it is a bit noisy at time and could do with an another cog! But it bumbles along quite nicely at motorway speeds returning 60+ mpg. 

Should be a few around in your budget but maybe be a bit leggy so condition and fsh is key really. 

Thanks, that's really helpful.
Is there a better engine option than the 1.6TDI? My FIL has one and it seems ok but for him it's just a car!

I only recently picked up a 2015 Octavia Estate with 1.6TDI and 6-speed manual.  Goes alright if you are in the correct gear like most cars.

On the flat at 62mph cruise control (60 in real) it will show around 75mpg.

I would make sure to get one with less than 150k on the clock, as like most diesel cars with a DPF, you are looking at a new exhaust probable around 200-220k miles in my own estimations.

Shame this was not a year from now, as not planning to keep the car, as it was brought to teach my son how to drive and not much other driving.

• Like 1

if going for a diesel a 2 litre 150ps is a superior option and has a 6speed manual box, but more expensive. The 1.4Tsi is meant to be very good as well. 

Well mine is "just a car" but I look after it to the best of my ability because i want it to last. 

2 minutes ago, varooom said:

I only recently picked up a 2015 Octavia Estate with 1.6TDI and 6-speed manual.  Goes alright if you are in the correct gear like most cars.

I would make sure to get one with less than 150k on the clock, as like most diesel cars with a DPF, you are looking at a new exhaust probable around 200-220k miles in my own estimations.

Shame this was not a year from now, as not planning to keep the car, as it was brought to teach my son how to drive and not much other driving.

Good call about the DPF! Must be a Greenline if 1.6tdi 6 speed? 

Edited by threadbear

Just now, threadbear said:

if going for a diesel a 2 litre 150ps is a superior option and has a 6speed manual box, but more expensive. The 1.4Tsi is meant to be very good as well. 

Well mine is "just a car" but I look after it to the best of my ability because i want it to last. 

How does the 2.0 compare on fuel? And yeah, my FIL also looks after his but I was more meaning he doesn't provide much of an analysis on how it drives!

1 minute ago, varooom said:

I definitely want as far under 150k as possible within budget. The A4 was on 167 when I bought it, which was the lowest I've ever had, but it still turned out to be worn out. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, threadbear said:

Good call about the DPF! Must be a Greenline if 1.6tdi 6 speed? 

Bingo!

Yes this is a cracking little car, if in the wrong gear it's gutless of course, but that's going to be a driver issue.  My son was trying to drive up a hill in 3rd, but was not used to the weight of the car, and had to change gears, sadly being a learner he bogged down 2nd and had to come to a full stop.  A stronger engine would have pulled him up the hill of course, but that's cars for you.

Given the cost of fuel these days, the 1.6TDI is the sweet spot, and is not a slouch by any means.

• Like 1

Hi Alessio92,

the diesels all seem to have well over a 100k miles at that price point. I did come across this one https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=BS7 9AW&maxPrice=7000&distance=150&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2502#listing=149138282/NONE but it's £7490

or this MK2 petrol with 80k miles one https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=BS7 9AW&maxPrice=7000&distance=150&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2502#listing=149383050/NONE

I have a 1.5tsi DSG and around town it averages about 35mpg and I get over 50mpg on the motorway at a steady 70mph even with 4 up and luggage. I drive around 8k to 9k miles a year.

Good luck in your search..!

Gru

To add my 2.0 tdi 6 speed Dsg estate returns a properly calculated (so not using the on board computer figures) 53mpg with little effort. I do 12-13k miles per annum. 

@alessio92 That would all depend on on how well the vehicle has been maintained and also how it's been driven. I was always advised to go for higher mileage cars (as long as they're not taxis, ubers etc) as typically the mileage has been motorways and so less stress on engine, gearbox and clutch, plus likely to have been single occupant cars so less wear on interior too. Hope that helps... 

• Like 1