Intermittent Passenger Dock Lock Fault, anything I can do?

tsedge99

Hi,

My 2018 Karoq 1.5TSi DSG (with KESSY) has been great but is about to go out of extended warranty at the end of the month and I have an intermittent dock lock fault.  Whilst driving along occasionally I can hear the locks trying to lock/unlock.  It doesn't happen a lot and mainly at lower speeds (or at least I can hear it at lower speeds).  I am not confusing this with the automatic dock locking after setting off - this is working fine - the fault is whilst driving around after that.

I have taken it to my Skoda dealer and they confirmed that there is a stored fault code for intermittent lock problems with the passenger lock but they have said that Skoda will not authorise a warranty repair unless the problem is present when the car is with the dealer, which is obviously impossible with an occasional intermittent fault.

I am wondering what I should or can do (if anything)?

Has anyone else had this problem and is a replacement lock a difficult/expensive job?

Is it possible to do the repair myself?  

I am good with electronics and not afraid of taking the door apart.  But I don't know if the locks are 'coded' to the car or if it is more complicated.

Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

Thank you,

Tom.

It would be different story if the dealer had no idea about the reported fault but you're saying the car itself is confirming there's a fault? For the life of me I can't understand what their problem is - it sounds very much like you've been speaking to someone who can't see the forest for the trees.  Chances are they've made this decision themselves rather than having spoken to the warranty people.

I'd either return to the garage and ask did they speak to the warranty company or are they making an assumption ( if it's the latter then I'd want to speak to the dealer principal ).  Or better still, email Skoda UK. They at least should liase with the dealership and find out what's gone wrong.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

Thanks.

All I know is that they said there was a stored code for an intermittent fault and that Skoda "wouldn't authorise" a repair unless the garage could show the door lock was not working correctly.  I gather what they are saying is that the door lock was working fine when they had the car in and an occasional intermittent fault isn't sufficient for them to repair.  They cleared the fault but it has since recurred and I expect there's another stored code now (although I don't have an OBD reader to check this).

Nonetheless, it is a good suggestion that I don't give up with them this easily.  Thanks.

Tom.

I have heard from a good authority within a dealership that Skoda UK are not as "generous" when it comes to some warranty claims as they might have been in the past.  Probably has something to do with looking to cut down on overall company expenditure.

"Sod the customer and sod the marque's reputation - there'll be another sucker coming along soon to buy one of limited number of products we've been able to manufacture."

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh as I haven't experienced a warranty rejection - yet!

Keep up the pressure and keep us informed of progress!

I had a similar problem with my 2018 1.6 DSG.

The autolock function only kicks in at a certain speed (10 mph?) - and then switches off again over a certain speed.

My car would constantly try to lock itself and fail and I would constantly hear the car trying to lock itself until I reached a certain speed.  The problem was that when I parked my car the car would appear to be locked, but the passenger door would remain unlocked.  Please check that your passenger door is locked when you lock the doors using the key fob!

I simply sprayed a liberal amount of WD40 into the lock mechanism and left it for a few hours and it fixed itself.  I think as I never use the passenger door, it had simply seized up.

Another alternative fix is that your insurance might cover for you for keys and lock replacement.  I actually had my keyring stolen (house and car keys) and they replaced the complete locks and keys without affecting my excess.

One more thing - if you do decide to get the locks and keys replaced it takes weeks for the parts to arrive.

They have to order the new locks and keys from the factory and they have to be coded to your chassis number.

I don't think it's a DIY job.

Thanks for all your input folks.

Have clarified with the garage that they won't do it under my extended warranty.  Apparently this only applies to "static" faults, where they can see a non-intermittent fault when the car is with them - like PhotoDaz having the locks constantly going.

My fault isn't like that, it is sporadic and days/weeks go by without it happening, though I will see if lubrication helps.  We also use the passenger door all the time and it is properly locked, so I don't think it is similar.  

The T&Cs on other warranties may be different.  Given that the warranty only lasts another 4 days I am not going to pursue it further.

To have the garage (Skoda main dealer) replace the lock would cost me £327 inc. VAT.  This is £120 for an hour's labour and £207 for parts.  They said there is no special equipment needed to code the locks to fit them - perhaps this is done when they are supplied by ordering with the chassis number? - which does sort of contradict some of the above.  If I go ahead and do it myself, I'll be sure to check that again.

Given it is occasional, I am going to live with it for now and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help,

Tom.

I would challenge their decision with Skoda UK - I would also tell Skoda UK before the warranty expires - you have reported this fault prior to the warranty expiring so it should be fixed (if they capitulate) even if it is after the expiry date.  what you need to do (if possible) is to keep trying to make it happen and video the activity each time. You might get lucky and record it happening which would add to your case.

An intermitent fault is still a fault.  

Well that's what I think anyway.

Good luck

Paul

Thanks Paul, I appreciate you sharing your view and I think it is good advice.  I won’t necessarily follow it, but it could help others.

Will update this thread with any further developments.

Tom.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, martinonley said:

Hi tsedge99,

I'm having the same issue as you, did you get a solution to your fault?

Thanks

It's a well known fault!! I have had my locks replaced at different times under "all in one warranty " so dealers and Skoda are well aware of it .