Refitting tailgate rubber boot grommet at body on hatchback

Just fitting a rear dashcam, and having a difficult time refitting the rubber bit around the plastic insert in the body end.

Any tips?

Can the plastic insert be forced out? (Then fitted to the rubber grommet and pushed back in)?

Thanks.

Do not break it! You cant buy it on its own and only comes as a complete tailgate loom, if its broken, water is going to get inside. 

The trick is with a tiny needle or pick to release one of the catches from the inside of the clip then gently pull it out, place the rubber gaitor back over it and click it back in.

• Like 1

And if you do break part of it like I did such that it won't hold in place stick it in position with windscreen sealant and close the hatch with some sponge or similar above it to hold it there until it's set.  You can then go round it with more sealant to ensure its watertight.

They occasionally leak anyway so the sealant might be a good precaution anyway.

They are along the two flat sides:

image.png.ddc7c1f7c3c819e6907c339b77645e8b.pngimage.png.70d283d013379d33c47affe9e2d1d0e5.png

If I remember correctly, you need to attack them from the inside of the connector and tease them out the way:

image.png.f8c1c27addfd0a03948e9aa230f1d4e7.png

Although I don't know what the access is like on a Superb...

• Thanks 2

Have only succeeded in bending one of the clips in further the wrong way. Currently trying to bend a hook into a metal skewer to try push it from the back that way.

Edit: metal skewer bent as shown worked perfectly.

IMG_20220724_195205.jpg

Edited by anewman
Update
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back to life. How do you get the clip to move from inside the plastic bit? I have both ends of the rubber off on my Octavia vrs and it's been an absolute pain to to try and get it back on/in