SE Technology sneaky spec description….

My Octavia arrived Friday and I’m largely pleased with it however Skoda have been tricky in the wording of the spec of my model:

KESSY - can only be used to start the car! Needs the fob to lock/unlock the vehicle even though the little dimples are fitted to the door handles. Does anyone know if this can be coded now?

Electric mirrors - only electrically adjustable but not foldable which is mega annoying. Bit annoyed Skoda have cut such small corners 😞 

4 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Can’t say sneaky, quite clear from brochure what is standard.

D17FF45F-AD62-472B-A5E8-3BBEF4CF4002.jpeg

Just a bit disappointed to be honest. It’s hardly a “technology” model when they miss the basics. But my question is: can the full keyless features be unlocked?

30 minutes ago, adambrownb said:

It’s hardly a “technology” model when they miss the basics.

Your "basics" are 2 "features" that I have happily lived without for 39 years and counting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Your "basics" are 2 "features" that I have happily lived without for 39 years and counting.

No offence but they are basic features these days! It’s a 2 day old car not a twenty year old one 😂 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

1 minute ago, varooom said:

After Dieselgate, they are going to claw back as much as possible though 🤔

Happening across the range, so many extras are getting cut, even if it's dirt cheap to fit.

Bean counters strike again.

What I don’t understand is the spitefulness of it. A lot of these things are fitted and wired up, just not activated! 

I think Tesla and BMW are turning your car into a cash cow, so you either pay for features one time, or a monthly fee for some things.

Example BMW heated seats or steering wheel being an extra.

Not a big fan, and totally agree with you that it should really be switched on, but greed gets in the way of that.

2 minutes ago, varooom said:

I think Tesla and BMW are turning your car into a cash cow, so you either pay for features one time, or a monthly fee for some things.

Example BMW heated seats or steering wheel being an extra.

Not a big fan, and totally agree with you that it should really be switched on, but greed gets in the way of that.

It’s a sad world we live in! I do love the car though so they are only minor niggles after owning two VRs’ back to back. 

That’s how they get folk to pony up for the ‘higher-spec’ model at minimal cost to manufacture. It’s the way it’s been for decades. For example then, something like a mk1 fiesta base model would likely have been vinyl seats, a heater, 1 door mirror, 5 seats and not much else, next model up might get 2 door mirrors and a radio, moving on up to top spec you might get a cassette player cloth seats and a maybe even a rear wash wipe with heated element! Not much cost difference between them to mass produce but probably quite a difference in the price list.

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, adambrownb said:

My Octavia arrived Friday and I’m largely pleased with it however Skoda have been tricky in the wording of the spec of my model:

KESSY - can only be used to start the car! Needs the fob to lock/unlock the vehicle even though the little dimples are fitted to the door handles. Does anyone know if this can be coded now?

Electric mirrors - only electrically adjustable but not foldable which is mega annoying. Bit annoyed Skoda have cut such small corners 😞 

I agree that would be disappointing, although probably itemized in the brochure current at the time of your purchase.

Like you, I bought the VRS as the top of the line model that contained pretty much all of the features except (in this country, in 2021) those included in the optional Premium, which I also bought.

And I have both of the features you mention.

From my brochure:

• KESSY - keyless unlocking/locking and starting and Safe system is present in the Style and VRS models.
  • Electrically adjustable, heated and foldable door mirrors with auto dimming (driver) function is present in the VRS model.

In the Premium pack the mirrors are upgraded to: Electrically adjustable, heated and foldable door mirrors with memory and auto dimming (driver) function

So both of the features you lack were present in the April 2021 VRS models here in Australia.

I wonder if the features were mentioned as included in your brochure. If they were dropped subsequently due to the ongoing component shortages surely you should have been offered some sort of compensation.

• Like 1

@adambrownb Actually I am not clear on which model you have. Others are talking about the "SE Technology" model but your signature describes you as owning a "Candy White VRS TDI Estate".

It would not surprise me if some of the VRS features were missing from the SE Technology model.

Edited by DaveFromSydney

These days you just have to yourself make sure what you're buying.

My previous Golf had dipping passanger side mirror by default, and luckily I noticed that Octavia's do not have it.

So for me to have the mirror dip while reversin was an 30€ option BUT it required 1000€ seats ;)

8 hours ago, adambrownb said:

What I don’t understand is the spitefulness of it. A lot of these things are fitted and wired up, just not activated! 

Spiteful?,., just trying to turn a return on a differentiated range. Electric folding mirrors are definitely not standard across many middle of the range family cars 

It isn't a huge deal, I never had that feature on my last Octavia which was funnily enough also an SE Tech model but I do have it on my current car. It works well enough most of the time, depending upon which pocket you've got the car "key" in! Car makers always try to differentiate between models, often times with features which cost very little to them, just so you'll buy a slightly more expensive car to get that particular feature or add it as an extra cost option. Like you say, this particular feature could probably be activated by coding, surprised they haven't added it as an extra cost option via the Skoda Connect app.

3 hours ago, AllanDJ said:

It isn't a huge deal, I never had that feature on my last Octavia which was funnily enough also an SE Tech model but I do have it on my current car. It works well enough most of the time, depending upon which pocket you've got the car "key" in! Car makers always try to differentiate between models, often times with features which cost very little to them, just so you'll buy a slightly more expensive car to get that particular feature or add it as an extra cost option. Like you say, this particular feature could probably be activated by coding, surprised they haven't added it as an extra cost option via the Skoda Connect app.

Thanks for your time in posting mate