Window washers not working

Yesterday I noticed the window washer was not working. No front, not rear, not on the xenon's.

I could not hear the pump. Checked all fuses. Also in the engine bay. All ok. 

Dismantled the pump. It is not seized. Measured the voltage while pulling the stalk for the window washer. No voltage on the connector to the pump.

Now I am all out of ideas. Did anyone else have this problem?

2 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Do the wipers themselves work?

Id be looking at diagnostics next to see if the stalks are outputting a signal to the BCM. After this id be looking at bcm outputs.

The wipers work. No fault codes on the vcds auto scan. 

You may wish to check T6p to see if signals are reaching this location, if not then we can track back futher.

662201732_HeadlightWindscreenandRearWasher.thumb.png.edfadebd1b7d8296419ab75e219c9865.png

J519 LHD - T46b (Connector C) You can check here if you need to see if this is outputting power.

If not, then we need to look for signal from stalk to next location.

681907313_J519LHD-T46b(ConnectorC).thumb.png.661a5e93f405c2371468f1d9ae1e4e11.png

Edited by varooom
Image(s) Added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to add, are you sure you were checking the correct pump, as there are 2.

I notice you also said no headlamp washers too, I’d be going right back to basics and checking the fuses first, I am guessing one has popped.

other thing you can do to eliminate the wiring completely is find the plug at the pump and find the wire that is open circuit, the other should be short to ground. (Possibly both are open circuit)

when pulling the wiper stalk the short to ground should move to the other terminal and the open circuit to the other. So swapping places.

when pushing the stalk the opposite should happen.

this will eliminate your ground and your wiring and just leave you with a power fault 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tin82 said:

Thank you for the replies. At first I was sure it had to be a fuse. But I checked all fuses with the multimeter. 

I am 99.99% sure that the fuse only covers the relay to push high current to the wiper motors only.

The very low power the washer pumps use are not covered by fuses, and recieve power from J519 afaik.

So if both wiper systems move physically, then you need to see if J519 is sending power on the numbered pins from diagram.

If no output on the pins, then you need to look towards the stalk and where it sends the "go" signal to.

If the J519 is sending Voltage towards water pumps, then check if signal reaches connector T6p.

If signal makes it to that connector, the the wire is broken between that connector and motor.

If no signal is making it to T6p, then break is between that location and J519.

Edited by varooom
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Fuse number 42 in the interior fuse box - Boot lid, headlight washers, windscreen washer system

Does your tailgate operate okay also?

I think we must be reading some different documents, SC42 is a 40Amp fuse for the whole entire J519, be a heck of a lot taken out by that fuse if it was blown.

Can you operate the tailgate wiper (pushing the stalk away), if not does it work when wipers are switched on, and then select reverse gear.

The wiper stalk operates in two directions (up/down & to/from driver) and trying to isolate if stalk contacts have failed in one direction (even if still working in other switch unit)

If so, then new stalk required

1 hour ago, varooom said:

I think we must be reading some different documents, SC42 is a 40Amp fuse for the whole entire J519, be a heck of a lot taken out by that fuse if it was blown.

You are correct SC42 is for the BCM but it will run lots of things, included in that list is the washers. Youre right though, id expect more signs than just washers inop, and on top of that, fuses arent a common thing to just 'blow' randomly. 

Fairly straight forward system in terms of components:

Washer Stalk

BCM

Fuse

Pump

Wiring

Connectors

Id also want to know what terminal he is measuring the voltage at when pulling the stalk - make sure you check BOTH terminals for voltage as the pump can run in 2 directions. 

• Like 1

We just need to wait for the OP to report back at some point.

Some things we can at least tick off, he did VCDS scan with no faults, and did check several fuse's.

Given how much easier it will be to access J519, hopefully he starts there to establish if any output is occurring, so we can decide where in the chain to look next.

Again thank you for the brainpower. 

Some more info:

- I have measured across both terminals of the washer pump 

-when I push the stalk the rear wiper moves. 

I understand j519 is the BCM. I surely not hope that is the problem. It is really  hard to access. I will need my professional multimeter which is at home. It will be 2 weeks before I am there.

Is there anyway to reset the BCM with VCDS?

17 hours ago, varooom said:

I don't know of any "reset" and really it should work, also not saying it is a faulty J519 yet, just testing the output.

Did you locate T6p connection yet?

If yes is any power getting to at least that connection?

I did not find t6p yet. In the description it says: in the engine bay on the Right hand side. What is the right hand side? Is it right hand side in the driving direction? Of on the right hand side when I am looking at the engine bay?

5 minutes ago, varooom said:

Always quoted as you sit in driver seat looking forward.

It should be not too far from washer bottle area in theory.

That is what seemed logical to me. However, the BCM is on the LH side of the car as is the washer reservoir...

It does not sound logical to put the connector on the RH side of the car. 

It is a black 6 pin connector on the right hand side.

Youre skipping lots of steps before getting there though. Youve already got to the pump and checked for voltage - what did you check, what with and what was the reading?

10 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

It is a black 6 pin connector on the right hand side.

Youre skipping lots of steps before getting there though. Youve already got to the pump and checked for voltage - what did you check, what with and what was the reading?

I checked for voltage between the 2 terminals terminals. Reading was not 0 but 0,39v it did not change when moving the stalk. I have looked for the connector but from the top of the engine bay I cannot find it. Maybe from underneath. But I will have to be at home to remove the undertray. 

It may also be in the RH wheel well. 

Edited by Tin82

Just now, Tin82 said:

I checked for voltage between the 2 terminals terminals. Reading was not 0 but 0,39v it did not change when moving the stalk. I have looked for the connector but from the top of the engine bay I cannot find it. Maybe from underneath. But I will have to be at home to remove the undertray. 

Silly question - multimeter was set to DC and not AC voltage yes? And if its a one way diode you should check for voltage on both sides, Personally i would probe pin 1 and other side to battery ground. Then the same with pin 2. That is the true earth and will save you getting caught out by a bad ground. 

Just now, ApertureS said:

Silly question - multimeter was set to DC and not AC voltage yes? And if its a one way diode you should check for voltage on both sides, Personally i would probe pin 1 and other side to battery ground. Then the same with pin 2. That is the true earth and will save you getting caught out by a bad ground. 

It was set to DC of course. But good tip on measuring with battery ground. Just hoping for a bad connection in the loom by now. Faulty BCM would be a pain. 

Another thought. The xenon's have a separate pump. I also measured voltage on that pump. Same result. But the xenon's don't spray always when I use the window washer. Is there a way to directly activate the xenon washer?

2 minutes ago, Tin82 said:

It was set to DC of course. But good tip on measuring with battery ground. Just hoping for a bad connection in the loom by now. Faulty BCM would be a pain. 

Another thought. The xenon's have a separate pump. I also measured voltage on that pump. Same result. But the xenon's don't spray always when I use the window washer. Is there a way to directly activate the xenon washer?

The xenon washers will work every first time the washers are used after the car has been restarted. Or every 10th spray.

Pumps are a common failure rather than anything else, thats why im still wanting to 100% confirm the power isnt there first. 

Have you checked the bcm input measure data to see the inputs?

• Thanks 1