Coolant loss mystery

After 2.5 years of trouble free running my Sportline 280 warned me the coolant level was low - and it was very low. Checked for obvious signs of leaks, all level and condition - nothing.

I have now spent several weeks and a few hundred miles regularly topping up the coolant and checking oil quality and level. Being reasonably engine savvy I am baffled. If it was a head gasket it  can leak into the cylinder and exit via the exhaust but more likely escape into the oil resulting in an increased level and emulsification. There is no apparent water pump leakage. The performance does not appear to be affected and the engine is smooth and responsive.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

Hi RSB,

Something similar happened to me and only got worse over a matter of months.  So like yourself very unusual to keep topping up coolant and the problem is that my car would hold the coolant level for some time and then suddenly one day it would drop.  And basically this got worse and worse for me to the point months later that i could clearly see dumped coolant on the ground.  I was due for a cambelt and water pump replacement (unsure if it's linked) at 100K but Covid hit and it took sometime to get the car in.  Long story short the Skoda garage that did the work eventually found a problem with the coolant tank valve/reservoir (i'm not too sure tbh) but replaced the part (did not charge me for that part given all the issues i had with booking the car in) and seemed inexpensive I assume.  Not had a problem since. Hope it helps.

36 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Hello, try a search on this forum for EGR valve leak.

He seems to have a 280 which is a ea888 TSI engine, no EGR valve. Exhaust scavenging is achieved through valve overlap.

If there are no external leaks and that has been 100% verified then the only points of failure are - DSG Cooler, Heater matrix in the cabin, Oil cooler, Headgasket.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

"No external leaks" as ApertureS says are you sure. Or just no signs on the ground? mine (also 280) was leaking from waterpump/ thermostat housing area, but always  evaporated before getting round the engine cover to the driveway. I could see "wet" peering down the front of the engine sometimes though. 

On 07/08/2022 at 12:47, RSB said:

After 2.5 years of trouble free running my Sportline 280 warned me the coolant level was low - and it was very low. Checked for obvious signs of leaks, all level and condition - nothing.

I have now spent several weeks and a few hundred miles regularly topping up the coolant and checking oil quality and level. Being reasonably engine savvy I am baffled. If it was a head gasket it  can leak into the cylinder and exit via the exhaust but more likely escape into the oil resulting in an increased level and emulsification. There is no apparent water pump leakage. The performance does not appear to be affected and the engine is smooth and responsive.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

I had the same thing on my 2016 280 earlier this year at 54,000 miles.

Same as you, after the warning light came on back in February I topped it up & all was well. I even took it over to France for a few weeks in June. No problems at all.

Then, a few weeks ago an "interim service" message pops up on my dash so I booked in to a local VAG independent garage. I did not mention anything about the earlier coolant leak / top up. 2hrs after I left the car with the garage they called me to advise that I needed a new water pump & thermostat. They had seen the error code in the ECU when they ran a diagnostic check & confirmed there was a small leak on the water pump housing. Something about a metal to plastic gasket issue that was a known problem on these engines. Cost, gulp, £734.26+VAT! They said it would have been nearer £1,300 at a main Skoda dealer. Add to that a new set of rear discs & pads plus the cost of the mini service & the total was £1,256 incl VAT, ouch😖

Be prepared for a big bill.

I should have updated this earlier. My apologies. The water loss rate became greater and I could see coolant on the engine under tray. After much looking and listening with a stethoscope I could not locate the leak so took the car to my local garage. They have diagnosed a water pump leak and I became aware that the water pump is not in the usual location driven by the various pulleys.

As I type it is, hopefully, being fixed and I have been quoted £210. There charges are normally VAT inclusive so it sounds like a bit of a bargain but I will save the celebrations until all is definitely sorted. My ca has only done 34,000 miles so it is as mentioned elsewhere a weak spot.

Thanks to all for the contributions.

New water pump and belt fitted; service inspection and oil change for £280. Dronfield Autocare 01246 411540. An excellent company. My go to garage for everything.

They are in Dronfield, North East Derbyshire.

6 hours ago, RSB said:

New water pump and belt fitted; service inspection and oil change for £280. Dronfield Autocare 01246 411540. An excellent company. My go to garage for everything.

They are in Dronfield, North East Derbyshire.

That seems incredibly cheap!

I guess they changed just the water pump and not the water pump and thermostat combo.

personally I change both at the same time as they are both fairly common leak points.