Any one into boating, sea fishing or owns a sea going boat?

fsec

HI all,

I am looking at some info and advice about getting a small cabin style boat with an outboard engine for going sea fishing or just relaxing offshore. It has an 8 hp 2 stroke Mariner outboard

I am also looking at a small 8ft row boat that can take a small outboard engine, probably something like 0.5 - 1 hp for going a few hundred meters off shore for fishing etc. Nothing major, just a day out.

Question is, what do I need? Do I need a licence for offshore? Will not be doing any lake or river sailing?

What kind of licence and insurance do I need?

Do I have to register it with the council or any authority?
What are the average mooring costs (will not be using a marina berths as they are far too expensive)

What is the best route into offshore boating for a beginner in UK waters (offshore)

I had a speed (type) boat when I was working in Dubai around 25 years ago and I did not need any special licence. It was just a smallish boat with a 25 hp engine that I used to go fishing.

Cheers in advance  (read as thanks in advance) 😁

Edited by fsec
more info

17 hours ago, fsec said:

HI all,

I am looking at some info and advice about getting a small cabin style boat with an outboard engine for going sea fishing or just relaxing offshore. It has an 8 hp 2 stroke Mariner outboard

I am also looking at a small 8ft row boat that can take a small outboard engine, probably something like 0.5 - 1 hp for going a few hundred meters off shore for fishing etc. Nothing major, just a day out.

Question is, what do I need? Do I need a licence for offshore? Will not be doing any lake or river sailing?

What kind of licence and insurance do I need?

Do I have to register it with the council or any authority?
What are the average mooring costs (will not be using a marina berths as they are far too expensive)

What is the best route into offshore boating for a beginner in UK waters (offshore)

I had a speed (type) boat when I was working in Dubai around 25 years ago and I did not need any special licence. It was just a smallish boat with a 25 hp engine that I used to go fishing.

Cheers in advance  (read as thanks in advance) 😁

Make sure you have at least a buoyancy vest per person aboard - and wear them.  

• Like 1

If the boat has a trailer, investigate 'dry berthing' as this is usually less expensive than a floating mooring - and safer, if not quite as convenient.

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

Make sure you have at least a buoyancy vest per person aboard - and wear them.  

Certainly. That goes without saying

55 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

If the boat has a trailer, investigate 'dry berthing' as this is usually less expensive than a floating mooring - and safer, if not quite as convenient.

Good point. Thanks for the tip.

I could store/park it in the drive but that woul dmean hauling it to the sea side and back again which is a nuisance.

Lots to consider other than cost and expenses.  Size / weight / location location location.    If moored it still needs taking out the water occasionally and maintenance so a suitable vehicle is a necessity.

Maybe only a borrowed one if the 'craft' is kept in the water and not going travelling.   

A 8ft boat might not be a problem but can that be left moored where you do not live right beside and can watch, stop from being pinched?

That is just about the size of a tender. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

I cant find details, but RNLI do a pager scheme for boats. Sort of thing that if you get into problems, activate pager and they get the message.

18 hours ago, fsec said:

Certainly. That goes without saying

Good point. Thanks for the tip.

I could store/park it in the drive but that woul dmean hauling it to the sea side and back again which is a nuisance.

But well worth it given the likely cost of berthing. Do consider membership in RNLI, even if you don't ever need their services, nice to help out others in trouble. VHF is very useful, even if only handheld (license will be required) - cellphone coverage usually not that reliable off coast.(worse things happen at sea!)

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems you can moor at Dundrum for free but the demand means there are hardly any places to moor. I was talking with a chappie that used to moor there but is now storing his boat in his drive. Will look into RNLI membership also.

Boat registration costs are £35 for five years and radio licence is £75 for 5 years, so basically it costs£110 for 5 years which is £22 per year. Not too bad being just under £2 per month.

• Like 1