A question to the owners of the IV model

Hello,

So as the title suggest I want to ask you all that own the IV model about any complaints and faults and problems (any problems) that you may or may not have and how happy or not happy about your purchase (or rental).

I am considering the IV as an upgrade from my 2007 Octavia, just want to know what people think of their car 😀

I have a ten month old iV which replaced a Passat GTE with the same powertrain. Here are my thoughts on mine. I'll start with the negatives then end on the positives!

• Boot size is "big" but not as useful as some would have you believe, due to the sloping profile of the rear
  • The radio / infotainment system is unforgivably slow when you first get into the car. It's fine after 60-ish seconds though
  • Mine suffers from annoying driveline shunt at slow speeds. The Passat was perfect however, so perhaps I've just been unlucky with this one
  • I see you are based in Iceland, the battery performance is quite poor in cold temperatures, even when pre-conditioned. Expect a maximum range of 16km on electric until the temperatures are above 10 degrees
  • I find it incredibly comfortable - It's not a hydropneumatic Citroen but it's good
  • Apart from slow speed shunt, the power delivery otherwise is good and predictable in all driving modes
  • The matrix headlights are amazing. If you are considering one without projector LEDS, test drive it in the dark because the output from the non-projector lights may be inadequate

1 hour ago, Patent said:

I have a ten month old iV which replaced a Passat GTE with the same powertrain. Here are my thoughts on mine. I'll start with the negatives then end on the positives!

• Boot size is "big" but not as useful as some would have you believe, due to the sloping profile of the rear
  • The radio / infotainment system is unforgivably slow when you first get into the car. It's fine after 60-ish seconds though
  • Mine suffers from annoying driveline shunt at slow speeds. The Passat was perfect however, so perhaps I've just been unlucky with this one
  • I see you are based in Iceland, the battery performance is quite poor in cold temperatures, even when pre-conditioned. Expect a maximum range of 16km on electric until the temperatures are above 10 degrees
  • I find it incredibly comfortable - It's not a hydropneumatic Citroen but it's good
  • Apart from slow speed shunt, the power delivery otherwise is good and predictable in all driving modes
  • The matrix headlights are amazing. If you are considering one without projector LEDS, test drive it in the dark because the output from the non-projector lights may be inadequate

Thanks for all this information, is it the hatchback? I was going for the estate, as I have a dog, I definitely do not want him to be in the seats lol.

Could you explain this driveline shunt?

Damn 16 km? Was expecting over 20 km at least...

Oh yeah, I had halogen headlights before and got xenon projectors and I will never get another car that doesn't have either xenon or something comparable like the newer crystal LED projectors. My 2007 has xenon projectors, so I will definitely not get one without at least xenon lol

Mine is an estate. It's a big boot, and plenty big for a dog, I have two :), but the sloping back prevents some larger objects fitting as easily compared to the Passat.

The shunt comes in jerky power delivery from a standstill and at slow speeds. Not enough to jump the car but it feels like it hesitates.

Overall I think it's a decent car and if you're coming from an octavia it'll be familiar to you

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Patent said:

Mine is an estate. It's a big boot, and plenty big for a dog, I have two :), but the sloping back prevents some larger objects fitting as easily compared to the Passat.

The shunt comes in jerky power delivery from a standstill and at slow speeds. Not enough to jump the car but it feels like it hesitates.

Overall I think it's a decent car and if you're coming from an octavia it'll be familiar to you

Thank you, I will definitely look out for this jerkiness when I go test drive some. 

in winter months in Germany, when  we have some freezing temps, i usually come up to 30km and using preheating and turning off air conditioning on short journeys, up to 45. so 16km ist extremely low. May be while heating turned on and travelling on a highway. 

I've had my L and K IV estate for coming up 2 years now. 22000 miles on the clock. I came from a 2.0 diesel Pasatt estate.

A few observations from the last 2 years.

original tyres about 80% worn front and 50% rear.

Excellent economy for a big heavy car. Last journey this week 3 people and luggage,  233 miles mostly at 50/70mph. Full battery at start. Computer ses 64.2 mpg. (reads a bit high so probably actually 61-62 ish)

Regularly get 8-900 miles between fill ups with a mixture of long and short journeys charging when possible.

Company car so very low BIK and 2-3p per mile running cost for all my private local journeys. (using Octopus Go 5p/Kwh night rate...soon going to 7.5p)

Recent warm weather regularly getting 32 ish miles on battery. Prob about 22 when very cold though.

Love the smooth and silent drive experience buzzing around town with instant acceleration when in e mode.

Not sure if I could ever have a car now without ACC especially when used with PCC.

A couple of small niggles....

Canton sound OK but not as good as Dynaudio in Pasatt.

Columbus occasionally locks up when using wireless carplay. Needs long press to reboot.

Very occasionally and randomly current speed limit displays in kph ie says 80 in a 50 area.

Using PCC car sometimes starts to slow down at junctions where the speed limit on the ajoining road is different even when car sat nav is pointing me straight on.

Assume the TSR is picking up on speed limit signs but not convinced of this.

Have struggled and failed to update maps and software on Columbus which may resolve these issues. Need to re-visit this.

Hybrid mode reverts back to e mode after stopping. Have run the battery down a few times when didn't re-engage hybrid mode.

Edited by stephenlumley

On 15/08/2022 at 22:04, Agustnr said:

Thank you, I will definitely look out for this jerkiness when I go test drive some. 

I have noticed some slow speed jerkiness though only when the battery is all but flat.

58 minutes ago, stephenlumley said:

I've had my L and K IV estate for coming up 2 years now. 22000 miles on the clock. I came from a 2.0 diesel Pasatt estate.

A few observations from the last 2 years.

original tyres about 80% worn front and 50% rear.

Excellent economy for a big heavy car. Last journey this week 3 people and luggage,  233 miles mostly at 50/70mph. Full battery at start. Computer ses 64.2 mpg. (reads a bit high so probably actually 61-62 ish)

Regularly get 8-900 miles between fill ups with a mixture of long and short journeys charging when possible.

Company car so very low BIK and 2-3p per mile running cost for all my private local journeys. (using Octopus Go 5p/Kwh night rate...soon going to 7.5p)

Recent warm weather regularly getting 32 ish miles on battery. Prob about 22 when very cold though.

Love the smooth and silent drive experience buzzing around town with instant acceleration when in e mode.

Not sure if I could ever have a car now without ACC especially when used with PCC.

A couple of small niggles....

Canton sound OK but not as good as Dynaudio in Pasatt.

Columbus occasionally locks up when using wireless carplay. Needs long press to reboot.

Very occasionally and randomly current speed limit displays in kph ie says 80 in a 50 area.

Using PCC car sometimes starts to slow down at junctions where the speed limit on the ajoining road is different even when car sat nav is pointing me straight on.

Assume the TSR is picking up on speed limit signs but not convinced of this.

Have struggled and failed to update maps and software on Columbus which may resolve these issues. Need to re-visit this.

Hybrid mode reverts back to e mode after stopping. Have run the battery down a few times when didn't re-engage hybrid mode.

I have about 85000km on original tyres + winter tyres. Still about 4mm on summer tyres and 6 on winter tyres left.

>Canton sound OK but not as good as Dynaudio in Pasatt.

have you noticed my thread about canton sub in iV? Simple solution for better sound.

11 minutes ago, spacelord said:

I have about 85000km on original tyres + winter tyres. Still about 4mm on summer tyres and 6 on winter tyres left.

>Canton sound OK but not as good as Dynaudio in Pasatt.

have you noticed my thread about canton sub in iV? Simple solution for better sound.

Yes, I did the reverse wiring mod which helped a lot with the bass and overall enjoyment. However still not as good as the Dynaudio. It certainly depends on the source as well.

• Like 1

Closing in on 16k miles on the current tyres on my GTE so I think this platform is reasonable on tyre wear. Still plenty of life in both front and rear and I generally swap tyres around in the autumn. I expect I'll need to change this time next year which will be around 24k miles in my usage.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Dragon Green!! I wanted that colour but internal management declined. Not jealous at all!

To be quite honest, I think pictures don't do the colour a justice, it looks much better in person, my wife was not happy that I wanted to check this one out but when we saw it in person she changed minds ahah