Dreaded looping

So sorry to bring this up as looking through the Web its mentioned a few times...my columbus radio 3to o35 686n started to just show the splash screen awhile ago...did a soft reset and that seemed to sort for a while.then when radio was on one day couldn't turn the volume down...am.in the funeral  business so was a tad embarrassing. Unit now just loops constantly and only noise is from reverse beeper.i don't really want to go aftermarket because I quite like the unit..i have a  2012 vrs with no issues.there are a couple on ebay but they don't have N on serial number...does anyone on the forum have any pointers where I might get it repaired..if in fact it will.

Car in question is a Skoda superb 11 on a 15 plate.

Many Thanks

Carl

Thanks for the reply...I did reply earlier but for some reason it never sent..how do I go about loading firmware...having read some stuff I still have no idea .

Cheers Carl

You may struggle to get it to load if you cannot get into menu before it reboots.

Try to hold down the menu key and see if you can get to the hidden menu with Software Train information, this also has the firmware update button.

However, if it's very unstable... You may not get to the menu long enough for it to update.

I don't have a menu key on my unit...nearest I have is a set up key bit I think you are right....the unit loops but none if the keys when pressed do anything..

My unit model ends in a N....some end in A or C but look the same apart from one extra wire fitment on the back...I assume one of the others would work....I think possibly the N is to do with dab.

39 minutes ago, Carl248 said:

I don't have a menu key on my unit...nearest I have is a set up key bit I think you are right....the unit loops but none if the keys when pressed do anything..

My unit model ends in a N....some end in A or C but look the same apart from one extra wire fitment on the back...I assume one of the others would work....I think possibly the N is to do with dab.

Sorry, Menu/Setup kinda same thing.

But from what you describe it's stuck in a fair old boot loop.

Here is the details on the radio fitted, pay attention to the PR Codes as they determine what is available.

1093079166_3T0035686N.thumb.png.477ca34177ad74de484f50e63a835834.png

I called this picture "kidney" for very obvious reasons.

Kidney.thumb.png.f4eb9cb9a51b08a9c1a208d703e3888e.png

Unless someone know of a company that repairs these units, then you might be stuck for a bit.

We can lookup the PR Codes for the other part numbers like "C" and so on, so you can choose if you are happy to possibly loose a function for the eBay ones you did see.

I really appreciate your help.i read somewhere that one of the units didn't have dab which I am not overly concerned about..its more the sat nav that's important for my business partner...I am more of a google maps person but sat nav does come in handy from time to time.

1 hour ago, Carl248 said:

I really appreciate your help.i read somewhere that one of the units didn't have dab which I am not overly concerned about..its more the sat nav that's important for my business partner...I am more of a google maps person but sat nav does come in handy from time to time.

If you pull up some details on what you have seen online, me or someone else might be able to assist with decoding the PR codes.

You will also need to have the new radio swapped over with dealer tools to your VIN so that it can function.

There's also forum member @pab567 who may have some advice for you about getting old one fixed, or he may have a physical radio he can send from Poland?

25 minutes ago, pab567 said:

It doesn't matter, in RNS510 series you can SWDL (SoftWare DownLoad) mode by pressing 3 buttons and loading CD-R with SW burned.

1. For any unforeseen circumstances please copy Your navigation unit coding from VCDS/VCP
2. Download proper ISO file
3. Using some good quality CD burng ISO file using any image burning tool (Recommended to use Verbatim/TDK or similar and Imgburn software)
4. Turn Your RNS into Software upgrade mode by pushing together SETUP + EJECT + MIC (INFO) when on
5. Put Your CD into slot above the radio screen
6. Wait for update.

This sounds about right I guess, as you know I haven't used these old files ever (getting dust on NAS only)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Carl248 said:

Again thanks for help...never had any issues with radios in all.my cars...where do I find the software that  pab567 mentions to download.Carl

I have the firmware, but it has been modified (though I suspect only good things!)

Maybe they have unlocked Video in Motion or something else like that.

Besides probably cannot hurt a broken unit.

I can send you a link and you will need to burn to a CD-R/DVD-R, maybe at low speed too just in case.

Edited by varooom

A link to the firmware was kindly sent to me (varoom)...downloaded it onto dvd r and not cd although some I have read use cd...then some say ignition key in but not on..some say dont put ignition in and then some say ignition on but don't start car...I decided to do ignition on..pressed the required 3 buttons and got the message to load swl...loaded and radio came straight on onto splash screen and you could hear the dvd whirring away...thats all it did and then kept rebooting...maybe I should try a download on cd as unit .might have not been able to read dvd..I gotno I structures coming up on the screen butleft it doing its stuff for a good 45 minutes.any further help would be appreciated..cheers Carl

My lad has managed to burn one on a cd r Downside is lowest speed was 10 but will give it a go see what happens...are you able to tell me if its ignition on or off.Cheers

1 minute ago, Carl248 said:

My lad has managed to burn one on a cd r Downside is lowest speed was 10 but will give it a go see what happens...are you able to tell me if its ignition on or off.Cheers

I would start the engine to supply stable power if you don't have a battery support pack.

I would presume it has to be on to power the radio, but see above about stable power during re-flash.

I saw someone attaching ctek to battery to keep charge ...will see how things go this time...car is at my business partners today so hopefully will have it tomorrow. Thanks for your help and will inform.how it goes

12 minutes ago, Carl248 said:

I saw someone attaching ctek to battery to keep charge ...will see how things go this time...car is at my business partners today so hopefully will have it tomorrow. Thanks for your help and will inform.how it goes

Update could be an hour, so would recommend if you can pickup some power support, as it could drain battery.

Tried cd this time...unit tells me to put swl cd in ..once in you can hear it whirring round like any cd would...I got nothing on my screen except the skoda splash screen...have tried to do soft reset and the unit does try to do something from within because its making noises..unless anyone has any further ideas seems like I might have to replace it. Cheers Carl