Knocking sound when going from lock to lock on the steering wheel when turning around etc

Hi folks,

Has anyone has this one before? It's just recently started that when I turn slowly, going typically lock to lock etc - three point turns, tight turn into driveway etc - I can hear a quiet knocking noise. It's a VRS 245 (2018) with 25k on the clock, just recently had a major service and coollant tank replaced with a double wall one (to escape the silica bag issue).

I'm not mechanically inclined, just would be great to have some views when I talk to Skoda.

Many thanks,

Scotty

I have a slight knock on my 15 plate VRS when turning right at a low speed, I suspect mine is anti roll bar links. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace if you can get it jacked up and wheels off. 

After that it could be tie rods or top mounts but I'd start simple, especially with such a low mileage.

• Like 1

I've done ecs tuning uprated top mounts,febi bilstein bearings and meyle HD drop links in the past year on the front of mine and the knocking has still come back. . 

Like the OP has said it's slow moving manoeuvres that cause it. . Normal turns are fine. 

Mine is like a click like it's got square bearings in the top mounts, for now I'm just putting up with it as it's unnoticeable 95% of the time.

As for the "Has anyone has this one before? " . . I've looked on various forums and any and every MQB chassis car seems to have crappy suspension woes 

Edited by vrs'burks
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone 👍

I used to be more active on here, but I must have missed that it can be a common thing. Strange that it returned even after your mods @vrs'burks? I have dropped it off at the local dealer today, ready for them to check tomorrow. My used warranty from buying the car finishes on Thursday and thanks to the dealer, they've managed to squeeze it in! 

I'll let you know what they find and whether I end up paying!

Yeah its very annoying.

I fitted the upgraded parts because I couldn't be arsed with messing about with the dealers (they just cba themselves and take ages to even book you in). . I still have just under a year used approved warranty left, but no doubt they wouldn't want to touch it now because of the upgraded parts.

My GFs mum has a 22 plate seat arona fr. . Had it since new n that developed noises when slow maneuvering with only 7k on the clock. . The dealers greased the front wishbone rear  bushes, which is also well documented on forums. . But just their way of cheaping out of replacing parts they know will fail again/have a bad design.

Edited by vrs'burks

I've just been called about a similar 'fix' being applied to mine, something about the bump stop contacting the strut on wheels turning, so they've put some 'high performance' grease on the bump stops.

Time will tell I guess - so far, I am happy with the dealer, but we will see! 

Oh and I have to pay as there wasn't a component breakdown, but they're covering half the cost of the labour (which I didn't even have to ask them to do) - so can't complain really. 

Edited by ScottyNS

Yet another main dealer slathering of grease bodge instead of correct diagnosis of (yet another) failed top mount bearing, ridiculous that they should put grease anywhere on a modern vehicle especially where it isn't even needed but scandalous that they should charge the customer for it.

And you seem happy and think they have done you a favour!