Loud noise from speakers regularly

Hi

I have seen a bunch of topics related to similar issues but not really understood why this happens and how to fix it. 

So basically, when unlocking my car and entering it, I get this extremely loud popping sound from the speakers. The ignition doesn't have to be turned on. I experience this sound quite often when opening any door. It sounds almost like some wire is broken, and when power goes through it, it makes a short circuit sound. 

It's quite difficult to explain it, but it reminds me of the sound when connecting an audio cable to a big speaker, and it tends to make this weird exploding sound. 

Now I have a Columbus media system, and I can't really find any SOS thing in my car (I have read this can be faulty). 

I will try and get hold of a diagnostic tool and see if I get any errors, but if anyone knows if this is something I could fix myself with maybe a software update, or if I would have to leave it to professionals I would appreciate any input. 

I would suggest no. The car is a 2014 model and I bought it just two months ago from a dealership. They didn't mention any customization what so ever. The car only had one previous owner. 

It sounds to me like that popping sound happens when the infotainment system turns on (it does so when the car is unlocked to allow it to 'boot up' while you're getting in the car), this suggests a possible problem in the power output stage of one of more of the amplifier channels - which is unlikely to be covered by diagnostics.

So I would be surprised if a diagnostic scan shows anything, but I would like to be proved wrong so please post the results of the diagnostics.

It's a strange one, the car is unlocked but all the doors are closed. And when I open a door, I get this sound. I will reply with diagnostic result when I get hold of a tool. 

• 7 months later...

Bumping this thread and adding some recording of said sound. If anyone can recognize it and what the problem could be. 

In this video I have unlocked the car and opened the door. That's it. 

Edited by Semzo

Have you ran a full scan, to see if it shows anything? Unlikely though it probably is.

Do all the speakers make that sound, or just front rhs?

I'm inclined to agree with @PetrolDave. The unlocking will awaken canbus and infotainment and that noise is occurring as a consequence of it booting up. Obviously, it would not be normal or expected. So seems to be fault. 

Something you could perhaps try is a firmware update in case there's a bug with the current version or it's corrupted somehow. 

I had the car in for a different matter at a VW dealership and asked them to take a look at this issue since they were going to notice it anyway while handling the other matter (the sound comes frequently while the car is unlocked and doors are getting opened and closed). 

The guy told me they had never seen anything similar and running a diagnosis didn't tell them anything. 

The sound does appear to come from all speakers and is not isolated to the front. 

It's funny you should mention doing a firmware update since I was actually considering the following steps:

Factory reset of the infotainment system (observe if it changes anything) 

Firmware upgrade if the factory reset doesn't do anything. 

How would I go about updating my system? Attaching a picture of the current version. 

IMG20221203153512.jpg

This firmware is availble for if/when you need it.

SW Train: MHIG_EU_SK_K1552

MU Version: 0411

SupportedTrains = "MHIG_EU_SK_P0069*, MHIG_EU_SK_P0071*, MHIG_EU_SK_P0343*, MHIG_EU_SK_P0346*, MHIG_EU_SK_K0346*, MHIG_EU_SK_P1055*, MHIG_EU_SK_P1533*, MHIG_EU_SK_P1537*, MHIG_EU_SK_K1541*, MHIG_EU_SK_K1551*, MHIG_EU_SK_K1552*, MHIG_RW_SK_P0069*, MHIG_RW_SK_P0071*, MHIG_RW_SK_P0343*, MHIG_RW_SK_P0346*, MHIG_RW_SK_K0346*, MHIG_RW_SK_P1055*, MHIG_RW_SK_P1533*, MHIG_RW_SK_P1537*, MHIG_RW_SK_K1541*, MHIG_RW_SK_K1551*, MHIG_RW_SK_K1552*"

Just a random thought but could it be related to the internal lights coming on?

I'm thinking the previous owner replaced the standard internal incandescent  lights with LED, and the lighting configuration was not updated OR prior to selling the LEDs were removed and the configuration was not updated?

I've no experience myself but I know it is quite a popular mod amongst other Briskodians.

Edited by Gerrycan

@Gerrycan

Interesting thought, what would be an approach to determine if this is the case? Is there a fuse or something one could pull for the interior lights just to isolate and troubleshoot? 

This issue was not present when buying the car. Maybe 1 month after the purchase it started happening. 

Well it is pretty easy to see if any of the internal lights are LED compared to normal incandescent bulbs due to the former being whiter and brighter.

IF there are some present then it is possible that one of the LED electrics are playing up. Cheap internet sourced units might not be reliable.

Are any of the internal lights out?

If no obvious LED units are fitted then it is question of getting an OBD2 reader and the appropriate software (VCDS or there are some 'free' software options) to read the settings.

However since the fault occurred a month after purchase it does seem unlikely to be the problem.

OR just try turning the internal lights off at the switch?

Maybe it is related to the fuel pump priming when the doors are opened? There's always been a short whirring sound as I open a  door on both Octavia we have owned?

God knows how you prove it that is the source of the noise though.

Edited by Gerrycan

Maybe I was not clear enough in my description. 

The sound is not necessarily depending on a door being opened. I have experienced the sound after unlocking it and while approaching the car (without opening the door). 

So this would actually also disregard any internal lights problem as well. 

However it is a bigger chance for the sound to occur if and when I open one of the doors, including the trunk. 

Even with my low spec car when I manually unlock the car with the remote the internal lights come on.

If I have left the car unlocked in my garage then they come on when I open any of the doors or boot lid. 

• Like 1

Come to think of it you are right. I will, as a first step, try and manually turn off the lights next time I leave the car. 

Regarding the diagnostic tool, I have went through fault codes with my obdeleven tool, and the VW workshop ran a full diagnosis without finding anything strange or remotely connected to anything that could cause this. 

I have no experience with VCDS or OBD11 but it is not the fault codes I was referring to. It's the configuration settings for what type of bulb is installed.

Someone else will have to give you guidance on how to do that but I believe you can get a dump of the whole vehicle configuration and then find the appropriate entry amongst the big listing. The dealer would not have done that.

Very remote possibility it is just to eradicate it and it should not cost anything, other than your time.

I did a factory reset and the popping sound has magically disappeared completely. Let's see if it will stay that way, but in any way, that was quite unexpected. 

What could it be so that a factory reset fixed the issue?

I also can't remember if the infotainment system is supposed to boot up when unlocking the car or when turning the ignition on. As per now after the factory reset, the infotainment system boots up when turning the ignition on, but if my memory isn't failing me I think that it used to boot when unlocking the car. 

Since it is working well now I would love to know what the issue was and what setting / software issue caused the popping sound. 

• Like 1

Excellent result from a simple procedure! If only other problems were so easy to solve.

Not sure why you feel the need to find the source though.

Are you now missing it after having to live with it for so long? Is this a variation of 'Stockholm syndrome'?   🤣

• Cheeky 1

I am based in Stockholm so it could very well be the case. I really want to know, in case it returns and how to avoid that it ever does. Also I need closure 😂 

• Like 2

The issue actually came back after a few days, although it's nowhere near as frequent, not as loud, and sounds like it is isolated to some of the front speakers. 

I am waiting for a firmware update file and hopefully it will fix the issue. To be continued. 

• Like 1