Octavia e-TEC hatch - 1.0 or 1.5?

JohnK

I currently drive an SE L 1.5l manual estate, on a PCP deal ending in March. I don't need an estate any more, and I was looking at the Karoq as an option as it drives very nicely and has a great driving position. However, the MPG isn't all that great, and I've been given the option of test driving a 1.0l and 1.5l Octavia hatch soon.

What I like about my 1.5l is the economy and comfort. Most of my driving is short to mid-range A road trips, with the occasional longer drive. I easily get 45mpg (measured), and on longer hauls I can easily clear 52mpg. It also has a bit of extra power when needed, for example when joining a dual carriageway or motorway from a slip road. I did find that a 1.0l petrol Karoq didn't really have that power when I test drove one back in 2019.

So I'm interested to know whether the 1.0l e-TEC performs better in that regard in real world conditions, or would I be better off with the 1.5l? And what measured MPG figures are people getting from both of these engines? Thanks in advance :)

Firstly the Octavia hatch 1.0 e-tec is DSG, no manual option, it is also SE spec only.  The SEL spec e-etc is a 1.5 DSG

Basically if want the e-tec, then has to be DSG, officially get about 0.7mpg more with e-tec.  Link to brochure below, the mpg is in the technical towards the end of the brochure

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/0bcfc2d5-654f-49b2-a524-91e141293e36

If you want the Karoq, then the brochure doesn’t list any e-tec versions.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/c63f4efb-a760-4a48-931f-baad88d42aa6

The other thing is prices have jumped a lot, so unless there is something seriously wrong with your car then consider keeping it as PCP has that option.  Can always take out a bank loan to pay off the balance.

But in meantime why not get a valuation as a guide price, use motorway or we buy any car etc.  Then compare it to the balance you still have to pay.  If as an example owe £10,000 but car is worth £14,000 then you could in theory settle the PCP and sell it following day and have £4000 in the bank.   If you rolled into another PCP instead, at the very minimum would expect £4000 extra into your deposit over and above any discounts or incentives.

Yes, thanks. I'm aware the e-TECs are DSG only, that there is no Karoq e-TEC, and that retaining my car for the moment is an option to consider.

I'm just interested in getting MPG data and opinions from e-TEC Octavia drivers for these two alternative engine sizes.

Context:

My 1.5tsi manual estate was used by Škoda UK to assist diagnose the much commented kph/mph issue. Was off the rod for five months during which time I had a loan 1.0e-tec DSG estate. I covered 8500 miles in the loan car.

Economy:
In my 1.5tsi, overall I’m doing about 55-57mpg, with a high proportion of long journeys at steady speed motorway/major road driving.

In the 1.0e-tec, it was a few mpg less, about 53 or so.

Having said that, the 1.0 loaner had about 2k miles on when I got it. My 1.5 has improved economy significantly since passing about 12k miles.

I reckon the 1.0 was loosening up too, so I guess economy would be similar.

Performance/Load-lugging:

The 1.0 e-Tec doesn’t have the same grunt as the 1.5 tsi manual but was very drivable and I was surprised at how well it coped with all situations. The DSG box helped in that regard, keeping the revs up when needed. I never felt it lacking - but never had a full boot with four people on board.

So, if you’re likely to have a full load for a good proportion of the time then lean towards a 1.5; otherwise the 1.0 would probably be enough; which is when the specification level of SE vs. SE L would come in to the equation, along with price.

Hope that helps a bit…

• Like 1

I have a 1.5TSI e-tech 2022 model liftback, The increase in MPG over a standard 1.5TSI is not that great but what the e-tech does in my opinion is smooth out the 

DSG gearbox, making it a delight to drive (no low speed jerking). Fuel consumption is around 5.2 Litres per 100Km with = about 54-55MPG.

Would not consider 1.0 Litre TSI as motor is working harder.

• Like 1

Not an apple to apples comparison, I know, but just to share some thoughts. I've got 1.5 e-Tec on order (delay edition) whilst driving Astra 1.0T with EasyTronic. 

Astra has an engine similar to Skoda 1.0 TSI e-tec. In terms of output it's 105 hp @ 170 Nm torque vs 110 hp @ 200nm for Octavia. Surprisingly, weight-wise Astra hatch is also 10 kg heavier then Octavia estate. So power-to-weight ratio is better with Octavia with the mild hybrid technology and DSG helping to deliver this power to the wheels. Opel's EasyTronic is a bloody disaster, I drive it only in "manual" mode.

Now, in terms of power empty or one extra passenger 105 hp is quite OK. Not the race car of course, but handles reasonably well. When loaded with 2-3 passengers and something in trunk the thing becomes a barge. With no power budget available you have to plan in advance on highway and in the busy city. I'm quite sure it will be slightly better in Octavia, but with the load I'm quite sure you'll feel the power deficit as well. 

So overall, maybe consider 1.5 to be on a safe and comfy side :)

I have the 1.0 e-tec hatch (2021) and similar driving patterns as you. We are three in the family and mostly the car is not fully loaded.  In my opinion the 1.0 lite engine with e-tec gives you a very nice driving experience, only thing is that you have to force it (full kickdown) to get the rpm up when overtaking others on narrow swedish roads. Fuel economy is very good, long trips 63-65 mpg and with shorter trips around 56-58 mpg. 

• Like 2