Fitting extra grab handles

Long story but I've got a need to fit 2 x extra grab handles on my estate, they will need to sit just in front of the tailgate. I'm thinking because of the fabric material on the inside of the roof a suction job wouldn't work.

Anyone got any ideas?

Youre gonna need to be more specific about where you mean?

On the headliner area in front of the tailgate hinges?

An odd place to need grab handles, You have very limited options and depends what kind of handles you want?

Youll have to cut the headliner, you will also have to find a structural piece to mount them to, the roof itself is a thin sheet and not structural, there are structural braces around and across it but not in the centre areas.

51 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Youre gonna need to be more specific about where you mean?

On the headliner area in front of the tailgate hinges?

An odd place to need grab handles, You have very limited options and depends what kind of handles you want?

Youll have to cut the headliner, you will also have to find a structural piece to mount them to, the roof itself is a thin sheet and not structural, there are structural braces around and across it but not in the centre areas.

It's actually for fishing rod storage, I have a webbing rack that stretches across the existing grab handles but it needs to be further towards the rear by about 12-18", exact placement not too important. Wouldn't have to be a handle as such, even a stout metal ring would do fine. 

Another idea could be to use a mesh dog guard or similar but would be overkill for my needs. Even just a small narrow shelf in front of the tailgate hinges would do but I'm not sure how it could be fixed.

If its only lightweight stuff then I reckon you could put a thin plastic or wooden plank across the top of the c pillar trims behind the headlining to spread the weight and screw through the headliner into that to support some rings or handles.  Fishing rods aren't heavy so all it needs is something to spread the load across a large area. 

49 minutes ago, chelon said:

It's actually for fishing rod storage, I have a webbing rack that stretches across the existing grab handles but it needs to be further towards the rear by about 12-18", exact placement not too important. Wouldn't have to be a handle as such, even a stout metal ring would do fine. 

Another idea could be to use a mesh dog guard or similar but would be overkill for my needs. Even just a small narrow shelf in front of the tailgate hinges would do but I'm not sure how it could be fixed.

I think the better solution would be a A frame design that bolts to the headrests of the rear seats and goes up both sides and across the roof. This gives you a frame to put stuff on then whether its netting, hooks or a platform?

The suction cups on the windows could be an idea - could someone suggest reliable ones? The force on the webbing is a factor as they're pulled quite tight.

Although the rods are very light they'll all have reels attached as well so adding a good bit to the weight there. I'm also trying to keep them as high up in the car as I can, both for comfort of rear seat passengers and also to hopefully deter theft, ie out of sight

1 hour ago, chelon said:

Something like these plastic clips would be ideal but how to attach them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001909672250.html

Decide where they are going,. Scree through the headlining into a thin sheet of hardboard or hard plastic sheet placed above it by removing the rubber seal around the rear hatch allowing you to place said hardboard accurately.  Just be careful that the screws aren't too long that they go through the hardboard and into / through the roof.

If you look at retrofit sunglasses holders that's exactly how they fit.

Edited by skomaz

46 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Decide where they are going,. Scree through the headlining into a thin sheet of hardboard or hard plastic sheet placed above it by removing the rubber seal around the rear hatch allowing you to place said hardboard accurately.  Just be careful that the screws aren't too long that they go through the hardboard and into / through the roof.

If you look at retrofit sunglasses holders that's exactly how they fit.

That's an idea but won't the whole thing sag down? I'd need 5 clips maybe 10cm apart.

Does the Octy 3 have rigid plastic rear pillar trims?

If so could something like a rigid pole across the back be 'hung' from the top of them (ie via a small right angle brackets slipped into the top of the trim?)

image.thumb.png.fc5345008af30b4b8dcb2dbc59a21f8f.png

Edited by skomaz

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Octy 3 have rigid plastic rear pillar trims?

It does seem to but they're too far forward. More I think about it the more I think the solution would be 5 x plastic C clips as above - if I could just fix them individually to the interior just in front of the tailgate then that should be fine, but how to fix them?