Fabia II Facelift Aircon issues / Headache

RubenD

17 minutes ago, RubenD said:

Or could it be something mechanical in the compressor after all. Pully incl. nut spins. Compressor never has made any stranges noises. Mechanic also didn’t noticed anything peculiar when he changed the valve.

So I would say it isn’t the compressor.

I think buying a C or D unit is the only option there is left, because I need to carry out the compressor run in.

You don't need to run in a compressor, it's a precision built mechanism that will work perfectly as soon as it runs.

Thanks for your reply. I’m talking about: Basic Settings -> Compressor run in

This is mandatory, but the option is unavailable in 08 HVAC in my car (which should not be).

Have you been able to get eyes on the location the fan controller is supposed to live?

It does look fair tucked away, down very low.

Unless you are desperate for AC right now, I would pause buying new parts until you have checked more parts of the loom.

In engine compartment, front left -arrow-

1260894884_J293RadiatorFanControl.png.a306e9a45be32662547612a2d1b26b93.png

Yep, (still) isn’t there ;)

The 2 rods are welded onto the chassisleg. The loom is tied to one of them. No relaybox there.

I’ll take a picture later today.

Edited by RubenD

Measured both wires again. Minus from N280 to battery = perfect.

Signal from N280 to Climatronic is perfect.

I did noticed that one of the beaks in the N280 had quite a gap. Corrected that, hope it helps. No I’ll have to put everything back together.

EBC18631-26B1-4E07-A813-96258F6B5572.jpeg

FB43B5DD-467D-42AE-A2B9-852243E5164C.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RubenD said:

Corrected that, hope it helps

Not sure if 'fingers crossed' translates in to Dutch, but I'm sure you understand the meaning.

It sounds consistent with the fault code, if it was making intermittent contact.

• Like 1

Hallelujah!!

image.png.7ff13c9e10b97255cb77925b36f1599a.png

When I put the connector back on the N280 I noticed it has a very tight fit around the plug of the new N280 valve. Maybe it wasn't properly connected after all?

Who knows, but this is really nice way to kick of the weekend.

00705 & 00706 are still there. But I set the temp to low and the fan kicked in (engine was cold). So I suppose unit B is able to communicated via CAN with ECU to request fan cooling. Would it be possible to verify if this indeed is the case.

• Thanks 1

Great news.

So maybe the original N280 was the only real problem? A previous owner possibly changed the HVAC module whilst trying to fix the system's problems that were (unknown to them) caused by failing N280, without success? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RubenD said:

Hallelujah!!

When I put the connector back on the N280 I noticed it has a very tight fit around the plug of the new N280 valve. Maybe it wasn't properly connected after all?

Who knows, but this is really nice way to kick of the weekend.

00705 & 00706 are still there. But I set the temp to low and the fan kicked in (engine was cold). So I suppose unit B is able to communicated via CAN with ECU to request fan cooling. Would it be possible to verify if this indeed is the case.

Also very glad you have it sorted, all that fingers crossed (vingers gekruist) must have worked.

I only had a quick read of the wiring, but CAN communications seems to head to J519, that will of course talk to other things on the CAN network, so probably off to the ECU.

I think I caused the damage to the beak in the connector myself. I suppose I stuck the tip of the multimeter probe in a bit to forcefully.

But I guess the connector wasn’t properly clicked on.

”compressor run in” nevertheless still is unavailable.

So I indeed think the N280 was shot. Time will tell.

But be nice to hear from other Fabia owners with the new fan + a B unit.

Tested this morning, cold engine, ac on Low + blower on high -> fan kicked in immediatly. So it does seem to work as intended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1