sneaky sat nav question

kennykaroq

Hi everyone,

Picked up a new Karoq sportline with the 2ltr turbo petrol facelift edition yesterday (beautiful fun car) noting that sat nav not included unless getting an option pack.

Wondering if there is a sneaky work around, where if you download the map update from the skoda portal onto a SD card and slot into the car would it then have sat nav system (there is a button there but nothing happens when you press it atm)?

Or is there more to it than that?

Happy using android auto and google maps, was just curious for when i head into more remote regional areas of australia where phone service is limited.

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers

Odds are that the car would need unlock codes that they may not be able to supply afterwards (Skoda are not the best at retrofit, and miss out on money they could earn!)

Best choice is to use Google maps to download the area you are visiting for offline use, you can use it now at home location too, it will save some of your data as it will not need to download the map chunks.

Welcome BTW 🤝

• Like 1

Just plug your phone in and use that. Typically the apps on a phone are more up to date.

I do use the map function on my 2020 car as it has it and also displays the map on the dashboard using the virtual display. However I have sometimes resorted to google maps or similar when my destination was not in the built in version. Also unless you have a live internet connection the built in map does not account for traffic problems very well.

(My car can have a sim but that is expensive monthly for the amount I would need it, and you also have to pay an annual fee to Skoda. Not worth it for what it does. In principal the car can connect via a hotspot on your phone but I could never get it to reliably reconnect the next time I used the car. Had to fiddle through all the menus each time, not worth the effort compared to plugging in the phone and it just works!)

As well as Android auto which gives limited version of google maps, waze, here we go and more (here we go works great offline).  You can also screen mirror you android so the nav screen shows whatever will run on your phone, but I guess that doesn't integrate with the car nav and the directions on the LCD behind the steering wheel.  Voice guidance would output on the car speakers tho...

You are lucky to have an SD slot, mine only has 2 usbc and no method to update maps from that yet.  In my old Jetta I used to run the maps off SD card so could always "obtain" updates.

3 hours ago, KaroqyBalboa said:

mine only has 2 usbc and no method to update maps from that yet.  In my old Jetta I used to run the maps off SD card so could always "obtain" updates.

You can update mapsusing usb-c slots. You go to the Skoda Update Portal and, using your VIN, download zip file with maps. Then unzip it on PC then transfer files onto flashdrive which then gets put in the USB-cslot and you leave it there until the maps have updated. There are instructions on the update portal. This thread also might help
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/499013-mib3-map-updates-again/

Thanks everyone, just discovered how off-line maps works on Google maps. Very handy.

Not to mention saving 3k to upgrade the sound system to have it included. 

My car is the facelift version so doesn't need the cable to screen mirror the phone which is pretty cool. First ever skoda still getting my head around all the features. Very cool and fun car

received_624119382393830.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

13 hours ago, varooom said:

Yup, ppl have not been reading too close 😬

Indeed - but if you had read my post closely you would see I was responding to KaroqyBalboa, and not the OP. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VRT24 said:

Indeed - but if you had read my post closely you would see I was responding to KaroqyBalboa, and not the OP. 

Sorry you did think that my post was aimed at you, it was not.

Was more of a general post overall, that some don't always read the posts before responding, they can miss out the small details like the OP does not have Sat Nav even activated, does use Google maps, and I replied quickly that he can download map data offline, allowing it to work when deep in the outback.

You was clearly replying to KaroqyBalboa to say that you can update via USB, and that you have to leave it in the car (as it updates in the backgroung, something I was already aware of)

2 hours ago, VRT24 said:

Lol, that's why 99% of my post was talking about alternatives to built in Nav...  I used to run the maps directly off SD in previous car.

🙊