Blower problem on my 1999 Felicia

Hello. I got a strange problem with my blower motor. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn`t. I`ve changed the controller for the speeds. Which helped because before, it only worked on full speed, sometimes. (Now it works on all speeds when it works.) Then after changing the controller that sits with the fan I`ve still got the same problem with the fan completely shutting off and other times working perfectly fine. It seems like there might be a weak connection in some wiring connections? Has anyone else had the same problem or know what could be causing this strange problem? 

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

Hi, welcome.  Until someone better gets here my general thoughts. 

Poor electrical connections sounds likely, don't forget any earths, check wires and connections, including the fuse and it's connections (I do not think or know if there is a relay).

Does the fan stop at particular circumstances - hot - cold, immediately - after a time, dry -wet conditions, car running - not running, car being driven - parked up.  If so try to replicate these conditions whilst doing your visual and electrical test (multimeter) by wiggling, apply heat or cold, obviously you need to be careful about replicating wet.

You want all connections to be clean, secure and protected and wires at least secure and protected.

Disconnect the connectors give them a good visual inspection, clean them with electrical contact cleaner and apply tests to pins and sockets, apply a protectant if you have it before reconnecting the connectors.

Check the fuse and it's connections.

Wires again a good visual inspection, as much as possible unclip from clips and check all around wires, look for anywhere the wires might rub through on anything (perhaps if routed incorrectly or the wire or something else is not clipped when it should be or fixed or  routed wrong).

That is me out of ideas.

Edited by nta16

Check the connector that goes to the resistor pack ("controller" next to fan) and fan connector. They're not sealed, so water can get there and corrode the contacts and wires.

Also, the resistor pack contains bimetal switch, which disconnects the fan in case of high current - caused, for example, by seized bearing in the fan motor.

• Like 1

If you can get a direct connection from the battery to the (disconnected) blower motor and earth you could power up the blower motor to run it for a short time to listen, feel, smell if the motor might be seizing.  Obviously do not do it for too long or you might kill the motor/bearing.

You can get electric probes that power up things like this too.

I do not suppose the blower motor or fan are easy to get at but if the fan and/or motor shaft, and/or motor, are covered in debris this can add weight and take away balance perhaps to the fan and perhaps restrict cooling or build heat for the motor.

I use a cheap vacuum cleaner in reverse, connecting the hose (nozzle) to what would normally be the exhaust for vacuuming and this gives a powerful blowing which shifts more dirt, debris and dust than a vacuum cleaner.  Any sticking debris I use clean plastic probes of any available source - thin plastic or wood handles or sticks or such like, if long enough ice-cream sticks are handy as they are also nicely rounded at the ends or you can cut them to required shapes 

Of course the muck goes every where so after (if successful) I would use the vacuum cleaner to vacuum out as much of the disturbed muck as I could and in conjunction with the blower motor running I would vacuum, whilst brushing, one (or set of) vent/outlet at a time with the others closed.

The blowing is very powerful so if there are any flimsy parts consider they might get damaged or literally blown away.

All a lot easier if you can get the blower unit out and apart.

Good luck.

8 hours ago, nta16 said:

@D.FYLAKTOS do these relays relate to the heater/fresh air blower motor then, with or without air-con?

These are for radiator fan only, i learn about them ''in the hard way'' because 2 times cause me major problem.

Due to corrosion on their pins or malfunction the radiator fan was working unpredictable and the coolant temperature was raising dangerously.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2022 at 15:15, Papez said:

Check the connector that goes to the resistor pack ("controller" next to fan) and fan connector. They're not sealed, so water can get there and corrode the contacts and wires.

Also, the resistor pack contains bimetal switch, which disconnects the fan in case of high current - caused, for example, by seized bearing in the fan motor.

Thank you all for good answers. I`ve changed the resistor pack next to the fan, the connections seemed okay, but a little bit dirty/rusty. How can i change this connection if this is the problem?

Where do i find the fan connector? Is it the two wires coming out from the blower motor? If so, it might be what`s causing the problem, because the connection seems to be pretty bad.

• Thanks 1

A good quality (horizontal not portrait if using a phone please) photo or photos can often help because your car might not remain as it left the factory with others before you making alterations.  Not that I know what the original factory set up looks like but others will.

21 hours ago, Bluefly1999 said:

but a little bit dirty/rusty

Dirty electrical connectors can cause lots of issues, sometimes just giving them a careful but good clean with electrical contact cleaner spray and perhaps if required using something like a clean used toothbrush, can clean them enough to resolve the poor connection.  Sometimes you may need more than these for a good cleaning.

21 hours ago, Bluefly1999 said:

Where do i find the fan connector? Is it the two wires coming out from the blower motor? If so, it might be what`s causing the problem, because the connection seems to be pretty bad.

The blower motor turns the 'fan' so if that connection is bad then that could be the cause of the issue - but as I have put I do not know your car and am not an electrical expert in any way but that is where I would start.  Again a photo(s) might help with conformation of this - and others with better eyes and more experience and knowledge may also be able to spot other items not as factory standard or might potentially cause issues.

Good luck.