I AM DESPERATE!! PLEASE HELP. ERRORCODE P0571 - Brakelight switch

It might be a good idea to post up every historical fault code you have had with the car, as you did mention what seemed to be engine management light on.

Also, did you replace any parts with genuine dealer supplied, or aftermarket items?

The filename I did post, is that the one you have to reference?

Just checking off some possibilities.

23 minutes ago, varooom said:

It might be a good idea to post up every historical fault code you have had with the car, as you did mention what seemed to be engine management light on.

Also, did you replace any parts with genuine dealer supplied, or aftermarket items?

The filename I did post, is that the one you have to reference?

Just checking off some possibilities.

I bought a aftermarket type, but it was approved by the VW garage and confirmed working as a original part. 

Filename is the same as I have, yes. Thanks. 

• Like 1

would be worth also checking the tailgate wiring loom. On some cars they are notorious for fraying and chafing wires where it comes through the car body and into the tailgate. I believe that how the loom gets to the high level brake light

This is the errorcodes I got at first, with the obd-app not set to my enginecode:

P0341 - Camshaft pos sensor A, bank 1 - range/performance problem

P0017 - Crankshaft pos/camshaft pos, bank 1 sensor B - correlation. 

My car had a diagnose at a local garage and they got the same errorcodes, read from a bosch-kit. 

Both sensor has been replaced.

Then I bought a VAG diagnose from a retaildealer and got the code P0571 - Cruise/brake switch (A) Circ., malfunction. This code is still present. My question is how this errorcode has to do with my brakelights? The brakelightswitch-circuit don't include wiring in the trunk??

Here is the summary from when VW-garage did a faultfinding session:

"

Fault code engine: P057100: Cruise/Brake Switch (A) Circ.
Malfunction Error type 2: active/static-
Checked fuse SC2 OK. Dismantled ok checked contact on
F47. Scooped signal from the two switches in F47. OK. 
Controlled wiring harness up to engine control unit. slack in stitches
T94/33. This comes from the F47 T4c/3. Raplaced sticks. Tested on
new, Error returns after short drive.
The lock for the gear selector and the light in the instrument panel for the brake pedal are not in
order. When the error code is set, this works again. Can't bring anyone up
MVB on brake switch in engine management.

10 hours ago, PopeyeVRS said:

would be worth also checking the tailgate wiring loom. On some cars they are notorious for fraying and chafing wires where it comes through the car body and into the tailgate. I believe that how the loom gets to the high level brake light

I will check it out. Thank you. 

@Skodaper Thanks for posting up your fault log.

So the crankshaft sensor issue does appear to be fixed, so one off your list.

In reading your log, it seems there's a correlation between the gear selector value not being seen anymore, unless the faulty brake light error occurs.

That's only added to the mystery, but seems related to our fault.

Some more digging of information needed.

UPDATE

Tomorrow I'm renting a VCDS and going to dive deep into my problem. Any suggestions on what to test? I have never used this tool, but are going to educate myself tonight on youtube and the web. 

Cheers

Per

I can only offer general advice.

Do an autoscan, and save this log as your baseline (before)

You could then clear all faults, and see which ones are left (permanent) that need addressing.  Save the log again so you have 2x lists.

You can enter some control modules with VCDS and do some MVB (measurement Value Blocks) readings to see if the car can see brake switch being operated and other such live data.  Hopefully someone might be able to suggest some tests you can perform, or MVB'S to read out.

I did have another read of your thread, and perhaps some attention once more to the rear lights is needed, you did say about a 3rd brake light fault that occurred in the past, though tested fine now.

8 hours ago, varooom said:

I can only offer general advice.

Do an autoscan, and save this log as your baseline (before)

You could then clear all faults, and see which ones are left (permanent) that need addressing.  Save the log again so you have 2x lists.

You can enter some control modules with VCDS and do some MVB (measurement Value Blocks) readings to see if the car can see brake switch being operated and other such live data.  Hopefully someone might be able to suggest some tests you can perform, or MVB'S to read out.

I did have another read of your thread, and perhaps some attention once more to the rear lights is needed, you did say about a 3rd brake light fault that occurred in the past, though tested fine now.

Thank you for your advice. I will check it out tomorrow. 

Regarding the 3rd brake light, I discovered there was different readings with my multimeter at the connector just today. I measured DC and had to wiggle the connection to get 12,4 V DC. I noticed a bend in the ground wire, cut it and replaced the bad part. Deleted fault code, but nothing. Brake lights now was always on until the fault returned after a few minutes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skodaper said:

Does anyone know what A18 on the schematic is? It says "Connection (54), in dash panel wiring harness. 

54 is the brake light connection in DIN72552 so the A18 will also appear on the diagram for the rear light diagrams 

7 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

54 is the brake light connection in DIN72552 so the A18 will also appear on the diagram for the rear light diagrams 

Thanks for the reply, but where can I find it? Not sure what DIN72552 is either :/

1 minute ago, Skodaper said:

Thanks for the reply, but where can I find it? Not sure what DIN72552 is either :/

DIN72552 is the spec that vehicle wiring diagrams should comply to with the likes of 30 being an unswitched battery supply or 31 being ground & 15 an ignition switched supply, if you look at the wiring diagram for the rear lights you will find the same Black/Red wire going to the connectors for the rear light units 

10 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

DIN72552 is the spec that vehicle wiring diagrams should comply to with the likes of 30 being an unswitched battery supply or 31 being ground & 15 an ignition switched supply, if you look at the wiring diagram for the rear lights you will find the same Black/Red wire going to the connectors for the rear light units 

Thanks for explaining, but we're quite not there yet, I'm afraid. I don't know where to find connection 54, with regards to my fault finding. And also a wire from ABS unit goes through A18 and to F. Right? 

Just now, Skodaper said:

Thanks for explaining, but we're quite not there yet, I'm afraid. I don't know where to find connection 54, with regards to my fault finding. And also a wire from ABS unit goes through A18 and to F. Right? 

Connection 54 is a general term to refer to the wiring connected with the brake light ON signal, you won't be able to look at the wiring loom and see a label stating connection 54 or A18 just from the wiring diagram you know the wire will be a BLACK wire with a RED tracer and not far from the brake pedal switch that wire will be spliced into other Black/Red wires that go to the BCM/ABS/rear lights etc 

1 minute ago, nige8021 said:

Connection 54 is a general term to refer to the wiring connected with the brake light ON signal, you won't be able to look at the wiring loom and see a label stating connection 54 or A18 just from the wiring diagram you know the wire will be a BLACK wire with a RED tracer and not far from the brake pedal switch that wire will be spliced into other Black/Red wires that go to the BCM/ABS/rear lights etc 

Now it all made sense! Thanks for your patience. Good man!

Looking at the wiring diagrams that Black/Red wire from the switch (A18)  goes to the ABS 26 pin connector pin 16, BCM 52 pin (Brown connector) pin 17, Trailer detection unit (If fitted) pin 3  and the ECU pin 33 as seen in your attached picture, the BCM outputs the signal to the rear lights so it doesn't go direct from the switch unit

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

*NEW INFO*

I was lucky enough to get more errors today 😞

Here is a copy of my OBD-reading:

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Skoda
VIN: TMBFT61Z8C2041017

============1==============
Raw code: 00177D
ECU: Engine control unit
Status: Test failed, Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle, Warning indicator requested

============2==============
Raw code: 0522
ECU: 19. CAN Gateway
Status: Test conditions are met, Test has not been completed, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
Skoda: Engine control unit

============3==============
Raw code: 0523
Status: Test conditions are met, Test has not been completed, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
Skoda: Gearbox control unit; Transmission control unit

============4==============
Raw code: 0524
Skoda: Brake control unit

============5==============
Raw code: 0529
Skoda: Airbag Control Unit-J234; Airbag control unit J234

============6==============
Raw code: 06EB
Skoda: Headlight range control unit-J431

============7==============
Raw code: 017D
Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
Skoda Fabia 2015-2021; Scala, Kamiq 2019-2021: C101C11: Left rear ABS wheel speed sensor
Short circuit to ground
Skoda Octavia III 2013 - 2020, Kodiaq 2017 - 2021, Karoq 2018 - 2021; Octavia 2020-2021; Superb 2015-2021: P10FA00: Heater support pump
No activation
Skoda: Instrument cluster data bus; Data bus instrument cluster

============8==============
Raw code: 01DA
Skoda: Immobilizer control unit

============9==============
Raw code: 01D2
Skoda: Steering Column Control Unit-J527; Steering column electronics control unit-J527

============10==============
Raw code: 0528
Skoda: Climatronic control unit-J255

============11==============
Raw code: 0523
ECU: 03. ABS control unit
Skoda: Gearbox control unit; Transmission control unit

============12==============
Raw code: 0522
Skoda: Engine control unit

============13==============

============14==============
Raw code: 030A
Skoda Rapid EU(A-Entry) 2013 - 2021; Fabia 2015-2021; Fabia 2015-2018; Scala, Kamiq 2019-2021; Octavia III 2013 - 2020, Kodiaq 2017 - 2021, Karoq 2018 - 2021; Octavia 2020-2021; Superb 2015-2021; Citigo 2012-2021: B140615: ambient light.chan. 1
Open circuit/short circuit to B
Skoda Rapid EU(A-Entry) 2013 - 2021; Scala, Kamiq 2019-2021; Octavia III 2013 - 2020, Kodiaq 2017 - 2021, Karoq 2018 - 2021; Octavia 2020-2021; Superb 2015-2021: U163E00: Android Steuergerät
ungültige Protokollversion
Skoda: B118F13: Convertible top open position switch
Open circuit
Skoda: Steering Angle Sensor-G85; Steering angle sender G85

============15==============
Raw code: 020E
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
Skoda Rapid EU(A-Entry) 2013 - 2021; Fabia 2015-2021; Octavia II 2009 - 2013, Yeti 2010 - 2018; Octavia III 2013 - 2020, Kodiaq 2017 - 2021, Karoq 2018 - 2021; Superb 2015-2021; Citigo 2012-2021: B1109F0: Connections to left speakers
Short circuit to each other
Skoda: B119D13: Power convertible top valve 3
Open circuit
Skoda: B105FF0: Left front bass speaker
Skoda: B1064F0: Right front treble speaker
Skoda: B1061F0: Left front treble speaker
Skoda: Brake Light Switch-F; Brake light switch-F

============16==============
Raw code: 059B
Status: Test conditions are met, Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request
Skoda: Brake Pressure Sensor 1-G201; Brake pressure sender 1-G201

============17==============
Raw code: 00177D
ECU: 01. Engine control unit
Status: Test failed, Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle, Warning indicator requested

============18==============
ECU: 18. Additional heater

============19==============
Raw code: 0528
Skoda: Climatronic control unit-J255

============20==============
Raw code: 08C5
Skoda: Radio Remote Control Connection; Radio remote control connection

============21==============
Raw code: 0580
ECU: 18. Additional heater[Archive (inactive)]
Skoda: Power failure trip (fixed value); Undervoltage shutdown (fixed value)

Anyone who likes to take a shot of what this can be? In addition to glow-lamp flashing, the low pressure tyre warning and ESP-warning popped up in the dash.