How to convert your normal boot struts into semi-automatic

Hi all,

If you're pining for an automatic tailgate, but don't have the funds or technical expertise to fit powered struts, you can use springs on the regular boot struts, such that with the press of the button on your keyfob, the boot lid springs open (You still have to manually close it though)

I used 6 Indexa HLR-16X51 Die Springs, 3 for each strut

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143790236364

Following this video (For a fiesta but it's exactly the same): 

The installation is fairly simple.

I'm yet to encounter any issues with wear and tear on the struts themselves, however bear in mind this does place extra pressure on the boot latch, however I haven't heard of any breaking from similar solutions.

Any questions pop them here, although I can't guarantee I'll be very fast in replying

It works well on Octavia Estates, works so well on hatchbacks that much weaker die springs need to be used, it will not work on the Yeti because of the geometry of the vertical rear hatch.

One issue is the springs rattling around and sliding down with a clonk when the tailgate is opened, I resolved it neatly by retaining and hiding them with heat shrink tubing but it did not last long.

Another issue is damage whenremotely opening the tailgate in a garage or car park or low ceiling height car park.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2022 at 09:55, J.R. said:

It works well on Octavia Estates, works so well on hatchbacks that much weaker die springs need to be used, it will not work on the Yeti because of the geometry of the vertical rear hatch.

One issue is the springs rattling around and sliding down with a clonk when the tailgate is opened, I resolved it neatly by retaining and hiding them with heat shrink tubing but it did not last long.

Another issue is damage whenremotely opening the tailgate in a garage or car park or low ceiling height car park.

Which would be recommended for a Hatch? I've been wanting to do this, as well as have struts on the bonnet if possible...

On 30/09/2022 at 10:55, J.R. said:

works so well on hatchbacks that much weaker die springs need to be used

6 hours ago, TalibanTed said:

Gas struts on the bonnet, full specs as what to buy are on this forum somewhere.  Took about fifteen minutes to fit, and perform excellently.  A recommended (by me and others) mod.

On 30/09/2022 at 09:55, J.R. said:

It works well on Octavia Estates, works so well on hatchbacks that much weaker die springs need to be used, 

Any idea/link for weaker springs suitable for the hatchback, please?

I’m trying to visualise this with the hatch closed - would two springs instead of 3 work?

Edited by Baxlin

It was years ago, you will have to do your own leg work, I only used one spring per side, they come in various lengths and rates, 3 springs sounds like a bodge.

You can either buy the ones you want, take a chance and if they are too strong then source weaker ones but you would need to know the rate of spring they have used, sellers don't like giving that away because die springs cost peanuts compared to what they charge for a solution.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 29/09/2022 at 23:36, SpaceWalrus said:

I used 6 Indexa HLR-16X51 Die Springs, 3 for each strut

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143790236364

Hi SpaceWalrus,

Any update on how you're getting on with the springs?  My struts have about had it and barely hold the boot up so thought about making it pop up with springs like these when I fit my new struts.

I notice this seller lists a big number of 16mm springs, and in medium load they go up to 76mm in length so I'm wondering whether a combination of different lengths and loads might give a tuneable lift.  Be grateful of your thoughts.

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...

Looking to do this to my octavia estate. Has anyone heard of any problems with it once they installed this?

Seen on some reviews that people are saying it will twist and f**k the boot lid or ruin the boot latch.

Can't afford a new boot lid if there is a risk of ruining it.

Bonnet struts are in the post 🤣

Spoiler

On 20/02/2023 at 16:25, stevebland said:

Hi SpaceWalrus,

Any update on how you're getting on with the springs?  My struts have about had it and barely hold the boot up so thought about making it pop up with springs like these when I fit my new struts.

I notice this seller lists a big number of 16mm springs, and in medium load they go up to 76mm in length so I'm wondering whether a combination of different lengths and loads might give a tuneable lift.  Be grateful of your thoughts.

Cheers

Steve

1 hour ago, thompson4984 said:

Looking to do this to my octavia estate. Has anyone heard of any problems with it once they installed this?

Seen on some reviews that people are saying it will twist and f**k the boot lid or ruin the boot latch.

Reveal hidden contents

No major issues, and definitely no warping of the boot lid. The only problem was that my struts had also about had it, so were only able to lift the lid about halfway.

This was normally enough for most purposes, but mildly inconvenient and annoying that it's not perfect. This weakness was compounded in the fact that when I used mole grips to hold onto the piston rod of the struts, I didn't use any interface material, which led to me damaging the coating, causing some rust to forms and contributing to the failure of the struts.

Last week I got around to buying some new Stabilus struts (£47 + Free P&P from StrutsDepot) and fitted the existing springs onto those. I made sure to use some rubber around the rod to prevent damage, I used an old bike inner tube folded multiple times, however a harder rubber would probably be better.

Now the boot lid pops up all the way at the press of a button, and I did the bonnet strut conversion a couple months ago also, with no issues so far.

As for your idea of a tuneable lift Steve, the springs tend to just give it enough pop to get it going, it's the struts that really matter in my opinion.

On 20/02/2023 at 16:25, stevebland said:

Hi SpaceWalrus,

Cheers

Steve

1 hour ago, thompson4984 said:

Reveal hidden contents

No major issues, and definitely no warping of the boot lid. The only problem was that my struts had also about had it, so were only able to lift the lid about halfway.

This was normally enough for most purposes, but mildly inconvenient and annoying that it's not perfect. This weakness was compounded in the fact that when I used mole grips to hold onto the piston rod of the struts, I didn't use any interface material, which led to me damaging the coating, causing some rust to forms and contributing to the failure of the struts.

Last week I got around to buying some new Stabilus struts (£47 + Free P&P from StrutsDepot) and fitted the existing springs onto those. I made sure to use some rubber around the rod to prevent damage, I used an old bike inner tube folded multiple times, however a harder rubber would probably be better.

Now the boot lid pops up all the way at the press of a button, and I did the bonnet strut conversion a couple months ago also, with no issues so far.

As for your idea of a tuneable lift Steve, the springs tend to just give it enough pop to get it going, it's the struts that really matter in my opinion.